Pierre van ryneveld ftth/ wireless fibre

martin

Expert Member
MFN is waiting to see if Frogfoot (connecting the new Atterbury development) will be rolling out on the Aerosud side. Currently their focus is on getting Upper Kirkness rolled out. They'll then move on to the streets between Mustang and Van Ryneveld along Spitfire up to Marauder.

NB: Delitech also offers the MTN packages (support local!). Remember that you need a specific router though, and that the service is tower locked (can't take it on holiday). We will not be offering Rain anytime soon. [DP]
Someone from Vodacom was surveying our street yesterday, asking me and the neighbours if we have fibre and if we are satisfied with our fibre. Is Vodacom planning a rollout or trying to convince customers to switch over to them? I probably should have asked him for some identification but simply told him I wasn't interested. Ryneveld Fibre has been rock solid to date, even with these international outages I haven't really noticed huge differences in speed or latency.

DelitechITSolutions

The network in that part of Pierre van Ryneveld is ready for public consumption, so we're signing off as 'ready and open' to other ISPs on the MFN network (including Vodacom) soon. It's probably just them gearing up for that. He came knocking on my door too; I showed him all of the MFN infrastructure on my property and he took to the street again. [DP]

DelitechITSolutions

As far as I can determine, Telkom is not an active provider on MFN anywhere. Telkom initially depended on Openserve (abandoned their plans to roll out), then on Link Africa (approvals to roll out not granted). [DP]

Last edited:

Quintrix

MFN sales people insist we have fibre on the east side (field side) of Jacobus De Villiers. Did I miss some pole dancers because they definitely did not dig any trenches?

phoneJunky

Executive Member
MFN sales people insist we have fibre on the east side (field side) of Jacobus De Villiers. Did I miss some pole dancers because they definitely did not dig any trenches?
Didn't they trench there when they trenched Dan Pienaar 2 years(or so) back?

You can quickly check if there is black box close to you. Or mayber they used arial fibre and plant poles in some yards?

Quintrix

You can quickly check if there is black box close to you. Or mayber they used arial fibre and plant poles in some yards?
No they did not trench.

West of Jacobus De Villiers is an aerial fibre island between JdV and Hertzog but nothing east of JdV that I'm aware of.

DelitechITSolutions

There is no fibre on Jacobus de Villiers even number properties. It's part of the Upper Kirkness roll out. MFN wasted time so their wayleave for Upper Kirkness lapsed. They should have started trenching first week of December, but decided not to because of their annual closure between 15 Dec and 6 Jan. Then it started raining. So yeah, that's about the extent of it. They have appealed with Tshwane to extend the wayleave. It's one thing to sign up directly with MFN or Delitech / Ryneveld Fibre, it's another altogether when a 3rd party ISP jumps the gun on "Fibre is AVAILABLE"- we feel sorry for all the people that signed up with these ISPs. I hope they communicate what's happening. [DP]

DelitechITSolutions

MTN trenched there some time ago. They had plans to launch MTN fibre at the time. [DP]

DelitechITSolutions

With all the issues surrounding Rain right now, and more and more customers complaining on Hello Peter and on Rain's social media, perhaps our response was less 'amusing' and more 'prudent'. :)

"Their response of downplaying rain is actually amusing, considering what @cavedog posted above. "

DP

wernervn

I got the R250 rain package because we are two people in the home having Teams meeting during the day and my Level-7 connection's upload sucks.

The throughput I got from rain was so poor that I couldn't even use it just to connect to the company VPN for regular work. I cancelled in less than 7 days, but they still charged me for the whole month. Classy...

Jaaks

Hey everyone. I just got one of those Fibre is Available emails from Afrihost. I stay in Frodo just off upper Kirkness. Is there any new news on what is happening with fibre in the area?

DelitechITSolutions

Official status from MFN is that fibre is NOT ready in Upper Kirkness. They've officially notified +edit+ all of the ISPs sending out those notices [that fibre is available] + that it is not the case just yet +.

Some ISPs appear to have started accepting early applications, but the wayleave issue has not yet been resolved. Unless, MFN itself can "sneak" you onto the network (possibly illegally), there is NO current ETA to get connected. Prepare for a long wait. We will post status updates on the Ryneveld Fibre Facebook page, as always.

Cheers!
[DP]

Last edited:

Joeboy69

Expert Member
Why would they notify that it’s available when they also say it isn’t!

DelitechITSolutions

Edited my earlier comment for clarity. MFN hadn't, for its part, notified any ISP that Upper Kirkness is "ready" - they won't do that, because then the broader public will EXPLODE if something goes wrong with their lines while it's still in testing - the ISPs won't have answers to give to infuriated users, and they won't be able to do anything about it either. Hence the months long internal testing once the lines do eventually go live. Perhaps the ISPs mistook the fact that the Van Deventer block has been signed off, as a cue that the ENTIRE PvR has been signed off. +Edit+ +They did notify those ISPs TODAY that fibre is NOT yet available, and they shouldn't advertise it as such. +

[DP]