Votes: 129 80.1%
  • No

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Depends on the circumstances

Votes: 35 21.7%

• Total voters

Aghori

Honorary Master
DURBAN: A Pietermaritzburg homeowner has been charged with the murder of a suspected intruder.

The 62-year-old man made his first appearance in the Pietermaritzburg Magistrate’s Court on Monday.

KZN police spokesperson Captain Nqobile Gwala said Mountain Rise SAPS officers responded to a report of a shooting in Stork Road on October 7 at 9.30am.

“Upon arrival at the scene, they noticed a 31-year-old man with two gunshot wounds on the arm and lower abdomen.
“He was stuck on the fence, still breathing, and an ambulance was called.

“They certified him dead at the scene. Police were informed that the deceased was an intruder and was shot by the owner of the house.”
Gwala confirmed the 62-year-old suspect was arrested and charged for murder.

maxxis

Missing a lot of context.

Did he shoot an unarmed suspect running away from him?

Ghost64

Expert Member
Why the need for a poll?
If the bullets went in from the front, no problems for the home owner...

zulucat

Expert Member
As we learned from the Oscar Prestorius trial. You can't just shoot your girlfriend... I mean an intruder... Don't be dumb. You will end up in jail! Or worst, you could kill your own family member.

konfab

Honorary Master
If the DA wanted an issue that would get them into national power, it would be to pass castle doctrine laws. Just imagine the posters for that:
"Shooting a home invader shouldn't be a crime".

Ghost64

Expert Member
Problems if the intruder wasn't a threat to his life. The fact that the scum was still on the fence would be hard to explain for the owner in terms of the scum threatening his life.
Yep assuming he shot the intruder while he was jumping the fence.
He’s in trouble...
If the intruder was on the property face to face with him & was then shot and ran away and then got stuck... the home owner should be fine.

Shot in the arm and abdomen however could be the former. He probably shot him while he was climbing the fence.

furpile

Expert Member
The article is full of details.
Only what is in the OP. Rest is a different incident. The owner is 62 years old, if a robber is busy climbing over the wall and he warns him to stop but he keeps coming, that could be justification for self defence. No need to wait until the bad guy is in front of you. It will depend on the exact circumstances and how the court sees it.

rh1

Expert Member
Problems if the intruder wasn't a threat to his life. The fact that the scum was still on the fence would be hard to explain for the owner in terms of the scum threatening his life.
Unless he first shot the scumbag, who then turned around and fled and expired on the fence.

rh1

Expert Member
Yep assuming he shot the intruder while he was jumping the fence.
He’s in trouble...
If the intruder was on the property face to face with him & was then shot and ran away and then got stuck... the home owner should be fine.

Shot in the arm and abdomen however could be the former. He probably shot him while he was climbing the fence.
Responded above before seeing you stated something similar.

grok

Honorary Master
This topic again.

Just a reminder, going to court, "The guys on MyBB said I could" is not a valid excuse.

Always better to remove oneself from these type of situations.

Yeah next time the bloody old man shouldn't go placing his fence right in front of a innocent robber to climb.. I mean what's a man gonna do when confronted with a fence and lekker WMC spoils on the other side?

Aghori

Honorary Master
Castle Doctrine needs to be adopted. You break into another person's property, you must expect them to defend the inhabitants and building. This is also why you don't **** with old ooms - they got nothing to lose.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Must be on bad terms with the neighbours who reported the shooting or something. Otherwise just bury the self-delivering bag of manure in the garden.

Cius

Executive Member
If an adult man has just jumped my fence, is clearly armed, and is approaching me or my family I think shoot to kill is fine. If it is dark and you can't see if the person is armed also. However it can go too far. If a kid jumps your wall to escape a loose pitbull you could use too broad a law to kill that person, and not be held accountable even though there was a reasonable explanation for the action. It depends so much on circumstance. The article is very vague on details so hard to say if the murder charges are justified or not. If the guy was unarmed I suspect the homeowner will be charged with second degree or something. If the guy was armed or a clear threat in some way then he will get off. Stepping on someone's lawn is not a crime that warrants a death sentence. Threatening someone's life is.