Ping Spikes, Have changed ISP and still the same, anybody care to help a noob?

MorneSteyn

Hi Guys,

I am on a 4MB uncapped line and am getting crazy ping spikes when I play battlefield online on Xbox, sometimes it shoots up to 2274. I changed my ISP from crystalweb to telkom home unlimited and am still getting the exact same problem. The router I am using is a Huawei HG532S. Anybody know something I can try? I am not to clued up with this stuff :crylaugh:, but with a nice explanation I can get it right!:D

Thanks Guys
Morne

XenitXTD

Just a quick one... I know they deployed Local Battlefield Servers but are you sure you are connecting to the local servers and not international servers?

because a spike like that partially tells me you are hitting international. and since you are only indicating with battlefield what other games have you tested it out with to see if it replicates because if its isolated to a game then its highly possible that its not the ISP. but if its all games then it makes sense.

MorneSteyn

Hi Xenit, It is on the local battlefield servers. Unfortunately Im not a big online gamer so it's only this game. Someone said I must try resetting the MAC on the Xbox, which I did. It also did not help :(

Is there a way to check if your router is the culprit?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Wifi or wired connection to the router? WHat times do the spikes occur?

MorneSteyn

Hi Sinbad, It is with a wifi connection, the router is about a two meters from the Xbox. The spikes occur all the time.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Try wired. Wifi is notorious for causing connectivity issues.

XenitXTD

Ok will give it a go tonight.

And So... Any luck... Game improvements on LAN?

I am lucky to have recently gone live with Fiber on Vumatel... Xbox finally updated and my Connection is Via LAN and getting 20ms ping on local servers.

The XBOX is the only LAN Connection i have and the rest is wireless.

MorneSteyn

Hi Xenit, Apologies for taking so long to respond. I tried the wired connection and am still getting spikes in the mid 1000's. I also only had the Xbox as the only LAN connection. Do you think it could be the router? I am trying to find a router that I can borrow for an evening from a mate to check now.

Flywheel

Honorary Master
Firstly, check your ADSL line stats, especially SNR and attenuation. Try some speedtests on local and international after that and post results here.

MorneSteyn

I hope this is the right thing, not too clued up here.

Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 508
Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 4095
Line standard ADSL2+
Channel type
Interleaved
Upstream SNR (dB) 13.4
Downstream SNR (dB) 19.1
Upstream line attenuation (dB) 18.3
Downstream line attenuation (dB) 36
Upstream output power (dBmV) 12.6
Downstream output power (dBmV) 0
Upstream CRC 0