• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • Win an Amazon Echo Dot in this two-day giveaway - Enter Here

Ping to Europe from JHB

2Titania

Good day good day

I'm sure all topics and situations have been covered at mybroadband so excuse the newbie.

Has anyone had ping issues from JHB to europe lately? I play League of legends on EUW and have always been on 179-200ms ping, lately its pretty bad - nothing lower than 220 - 240 and sometimes pretty unstable.

Ive got 3 capped accounts from afrihost/webafrica and axxess - have been testing all 3. They do seem to differ, but the ping is so unstable its hard to tell exactly.

I'm on a 2 MB line, with decent line stats.

So just asking if anyone has experienced something similar of late??

2Titania

So my predicament was this : I changed from Webafrica managing my adsl line to another ISP. But the changeover was a major stuff up on telkom and ISP side. SO telkom ended up managing my line. ( I did this because I was desperate for service)

Now I'm wondering if this is the cause of my high ping. Ping to SAIX randburg 7-10pm is horrendous (80ms +) and to London is also then affected.

Can anyone advise me, if using an ISP to manage an ADSL line would improve my ping to Europe? Do they use the same exchanges as Telkom. Perhaps they get allocated space at the exchanges and it is better managed than Telkom.??

Any input is appreciated.

ps again : my line stats are good, and have been testing on two separate modems and 3 ISPs Same high ping issue across all variables so far.

Last edited:

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
So my predicament was this : I changed from Webafrica managing my adsl line to another ISP. But the changeover was a major stuff up on telkom and ISP side. SO telkom ended up managing my line. ( I did this because I was desperate for service)

Now I'm wondering if this is the cause of my high ping. Ping to SAIX randburg 7-10pm is horrendous (80ms +) and to London is also then affected.

Can anyone advise me, if using an ISP to manage an ADSL line would improve my ping to Europe? Do they use the same exchanges as Telkom. Perhaps they get allocated space at the exchanges and it is better managed than Telkom.??

Any input is appreciated.

ps again : my line stats are good, and have been testing on two separate modems and 3 ISPs Same high ping issue across all variables so far.
It will be exactly the same no matter who your line is with.

Voicy

Honorary Master
I just pinged 3 different servers in JHB from home (Europe) with varying results between 200-220ms - in case that helps.

speedtest_seacom.JPG

speedtest_afrihost.JPG

speedtest_webafrica.JPG

VS pinging Oslo for example:

speedtest_oslo.JPG

2Titania

Thank you for all the responses !
and thanks for those ping tests run Voicy.

I get that ping to europe is 200ms +
What I don't understand is how I was achieving 177-200 stable for almost two years from this exact location.

I'm going to do some more testing (taking pc to family and checking ping there) and will report back.

DeSLAM

I get kicked off international gaming servers often because of latency (because it drags the whole multiplayer experience to a halt for others overseas) ...when using Afrihost.

Check your packet loss - on a trace - use the free pingplotter software to see where your problem lies. You'll soon see a trend.

Last edited:

2Titania

Alright folks,
Ran a Ping test and tracert to the - (league of legends) gaming server from my location (Springs) and a relatives house (Benoni) which is about 15 km away.

Tracert to league Benoni.jpg Ping to Saix london Benoni.jpg

Tracert Springs.jpg Ping to Saix London springs.jpg

So my springs location was tested at 10pm, lets say it was still peak hours, my main point is that Ive never achieved below 201ms (to London) since Telkom manages my ADSL line.

The 172ms result was achieved in Benoni, by a line managed by WEBafrica.
The tracert also seemed to be achieving much better ping from benoni.

There is definitely something about a line being managed by an ISP that helps the ping. Or in my personal instance at least. Here are my line stats if anyone is curious.

Line stats 423.jpg

Will definitely look into handing my line back over to an ISP. If that doesn't fix my ping issues then we test some more :D

Last edited: