Pirate TV boxes in South Africa: why SAFACT nailed the little guy

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
The reason Multichoice is involved is that they are loosing customers! No other reason!

akescpt

Honorary Master
bunch of boxes

It is worth noting that MultiChoice, which is a member of SAFACT, is a Naspers-owned company. Naspers also owns a 47% stake in Takealot
I didn't know state institutions are now doing multichoice's bidding.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
“Devices offered for sale, that come pre-loaded or have pre-installed software, that allow illegal access to protected content will be investigated and SAFACT reserves the right to pursue those involved.”
Just don't sell hardware that does this.

Let users do it themselves :)

Last edited:

access

Honorary Master
"Devices offered for sale, that come pre-loaded or have pre-installed software, that allow illegal access to protected content will be investigated and SAFACT reserves the right to pursue those involved"

slightly vague? lol!

so anything that comes with an internet browser.

Well they're not going to go after Takealot, they're the same company, and any other big retailer will have lawyers that will bitch slap SAFACT from here till next Tuesday.

Easiest to pick on the little guy who can't fight back. However kudos to AVSupply, they did fight back and are still going despite Multichoice's smear campaign.

Pretty much everything on this list is capable of accessing pirated content:

http://www.takealot.com/tv-audio-vi...bye-yo01-jvgu-erenaxvat&filter=Available:true

access

Honorary Master
you can walk into any gadget shop type place and look around at the wireless devices or some such, nothing is ICASA approved.

Iwojima

Expert Member
What's the confusion all about here? It's a fairly simply issue.

The hardware itself is by no means illegal, but if it comes preloaded with software expressly used to stream copyrighted content (e.g. various Kodi plugins and native Android apps) then it is illegal. Not sure why Takealot has removed the MyGica device from their listing as it did not ship any of the aforementioned software.

If you ever bought an Android media player a few years ago and then again recently you'll see there is a marked difference in what was included and what is now included. Hell, even the creators of Kodi are complaining about this: https://kodi.tv/the-piracy-box-sellers-and-youtube-promoters-are-killing-kodi/

Last edited:

The hardware itself is by no means illegal, but if it comes preloaded with software expressly used to stream copyrighted content (e.g. various Kodi plugins and native Android apps) then it is illegal. Not sure why Takealot has removed the MyGica device from their listing as it did not ship any of the aforementioned software.
AVSupply did not supply the boxes with these apps or plugins.

Iwojima

Expert Member
AVSupply did not supply the boxes with these apps or plugins.
Bull****.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/1618...K_Media_Player_with_Android_4_4_and_XBMC.html

**PLEASE NOTE: AVSupply don't just sell Mediaboxes, we customize the interface and offer lifetime aftersales support
Note the advertised customisation of Kodi/XBMC plugins on the advert and the details/screenshots of the "IPTV" addons on their forum (which is also linked in the advert): http://mbox.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=118

Last edited:

Petec

Expert Member
bunch of boxes
I didn't know state institutions are now doing multichoice's bidding.
When I used to rage against the Unholy Tri-Alliance of Naspers, Times Media Group and Ster Kinekor, people told me to get a new tinfoil hat.

There have been shifts with TMG selling Nu Metro, but these key players still hold sway over 99% of the media (Movies and TV Series), music (Gallo etc) and most of the traditional print houses.
These cretins are heavily entrenched into government with huge lobbying power.

We are now starting to see the "fruits" of their long standing cabal.

Sad times for the SA media landscape, as any hope of an independent regulatory authority, have long since being subverted.

patrick123

Expert Member

If you ever bought an Android media player a few years ago and then again recently you'll see there is a marked difference in what was included and what is now included. Hell, even the creators of Kodi are complaining about this: https://kodi.tv/the-piracy-box-sellers-and-youtube-promoters-are-killing-kodi/
With that argument, anyone that sells a car that is advertised capable of exceeding the speed limit is also at fault. Heaven forbid the likes of AMG conversions.

Bottom line, it is the end-user that should be held accountable in both instances.

Note the advertised customisation of Kodi/XBMC plugins on the advert and the details/screenshots of the "IPTV" addons on their forum (which is also linked in the advert): http://mbox.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=118
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the gumtree add, as for the forum post:

I see a customized launcher, no illegal content
I see a photo of android apps, no illegal content
I see a Kodi skin, no illegal content

The ONLY dodgy bit is the "pre-installed with popular IPTV addons", not sure about that. There are no screenshots of these add-ons however.

Last edited:

Iwojima

Expert Member
With that argument, anyone that sells a car that is advertised capable of exceeding the speed limit is also at fault. Heaven forbid the likes of AMG conversions.

Bottom line, it is the end-user that should be held accountable in both instances.
I'm not arguing the logic. I'm explaining the difference in legality.

Iwojima

Expert Member
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the gumtree add, as for the forum post:

I see a customized launcher, no illegal content
I see a photo of android apps, no illegal content
I see a Kodi skin, no illegal content

The ONLY dodgy bit is the "pre-installed with popular IPTV addons", not sure about that.
Really, nothing telling about picture showing "Sportdevil", a well known addon for streaming sport content from around the world, which Multichoice is most likely to have a piss fit about considering their monopoly?

The crux of the matter is what was found on the boxes during investigation, not what the advert alludes to (even though it does give a probable cause to investigate further)

Last edited:
Really, nothing telling about picture showing "Sportdevil", a well known addon for streaming sport content from around the world, which Multichoice is most likely to have a piss fit about considering their monopoly?
Oh I missed that/didn't know what it was.

Interesting that you do though...

Anyway this is all besides the point, the question was why MC went after AVSupply when there are many bigger players advertising illegal content even more blatantly.