Pit bull mauls pensioner to death

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/pit-bull-mauls-pensioner-to-death-1.1235523

Fearing for their lives, neighbours and bystanders could only watch in horror as a 65-year-old Durban pensioner bled profusely while a pit bull mauled him.

Allan Lorton, of Knight Road, Sherwood, died of his wounds on Tuesday.

His wife, Linda, 64, said her neighbours’ pit bull had crawled through a hole in the wall – possibly to attack her three Toy Pomeranians. She was at work at the time.

“My husband heard a commotion and went outside. The pit bull went for him and he tried to shake the dog off. He held it by its collar and got on his knees,” she said.

She said he screamed and screamed for help and the neighbours came running.

“He was bleeding profusely, but none of them could do anything because they were afraid the dog would attack them.”

All they could do was watch in horror, she said.

However, someone called the dog’s owner and the police.

“The owner came over and she could not stop her dog either. The police then arrived and fired shots in the air, trying to scare the dog off my husband.”

But the dog was unmoved and carried on attacking. Its owner then told the police to shoot it. It took eight shots before the animal died.

While they waited for an ambulance, which arrived an hour later, a neighbour who was a nurse did mouth to mouth, attempting to revive Lorton.

However, he had lost a lot of blood and died.

Paramedics certified him dead at the scene.

Linda added that the owner of the pit bull had taken her second pit bull to the SPCA to be put down.

“She has been supportive to our family and she put the other dog down because of what happened.

“She has children and she was worried about their safety, too.”

Linda said she and her family were distraught about her husband’s death.

The couple have an adult son, who declined to say anything.

Linda described her husband as an animal-lover and a kind person.

“He always took care of our dogs and took them for walks in the parks every day. He would play with them inside the house.”

Linda said her community needed to do something about pit bulls in the area.

“It is like a fashion statement to walk around with pit bulls. People are always walking around with the dogs and they do not realise how dangerous they are. Something must be done.”

Police spokesman Colonel Jay Naicker said on Wednesday the Sydenham SAPS had gone to the scene on Tuesday.

“An inquest docket has been registered to investigate the circumstances surrounding Lorton’s death, while a criminal case docket has been registered to investigate the keeping of a ferocious dog.”

Charmaine van Rijsbergen, of the KZN Staffordshire Bull Terrier Club, told The Mercury yesterday that if the dog had been trained to attack then that is what it would do.

Asked what might have prompted the dog to go for Lorton, she said that was not an easy question to answer. It depended on how the owner had treated and raised the dog.

“I do not know the conditions that the dog lived in.

“It could have been provoked. The dog could have had a tumour.

“It is really unfortunate what happened to Mr Lorton.” - The Mercury

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Ag shame man, no.
I would've taken a brick and klapped it on its head.

killadoob

Honorary Master
I find it insane that people just stood by and i find it even more insane they fired shots in the air.

FFS go and shoot the damn thing. Sad story and even worse is the guy died because nobody was brave enough to try save him.

F

Fudzy

Watched a video on Youtube yesterday where a pitbull attacked a women from animal welfare, it was quickly dislodged by a swift klap to the head with a broom handle. Poor dogs, they only doing what they have been taught.

Hemps

Executive Member
How much does a pitbull weigh?

A couple years back a ridgback tried to attack our small puppy, I grabbed the bugger and threw him like 10m away, adrenalin rush of note, didn't even think twice and it was a big dog.

If I saw someone is distress like that I'd make a plan, try anything, not wait for police to arrive.

m4dh4tt3r

oh great another bad owner and the pitbull gets blamed.. yes pitbulls are a fierce breed but only if the owner is a bad owner. Pitbulls are one of the most loving animals and will only act like this if they are not trained right by there owners. DOGS ARE NOT VIOLENT BY NATURE, they act according to what they have learnt form their masters. jocks are a lot worse than any dog will ever be.

Mars

Honorary Master
Watched a video on Youtube yesterday where a pitbull attacked a women from animal welfare, it was quickly dislodged by a swift klap to the head with a broom handle. Poor dogs, they only doing what they have been bred for.
FTFY

oh great another bad owner and the pitbull gets blamed.. yes pitbulls are a fierce breed but only if the owner is a bad owner. Pitbulls are one of the most loving animals and will only act like this if they are not trained right by there owners. DOGS ARE NOT VIOLENT BY NATURE, they act according to what they have learnt form their masters. jocks are a lot worse than any dog will ever be.
Lol whut? So they have banned the pitbull in countries all over europe and in some states in the US because why? Its an ugly MOFO?

Its because the breed has a problem with violence. I dont dispute that they can be loving pets, but some little switch in the pitbull's head is faulty, It goes into attack mode and does not stop. You can have a pitbull that has never barked at a fly in its life, but when it flips it will kill anyone, including its own loving devoted owner.

m4dh4tt3r

i disagree, but im not getting into discussions about pitbulls here, yes they are unfortunately fierce but they do not have this little switch that just clicks and they will never kill their owners if the owner treats them right. i dont blame half of them for going crazy, most of their owners dont take them off the property (Imagine being stuck in the same four walls for your whole life and never being allowed out while you sit at the fence watching other dogs going for walks). anyway not getting into discussions about this because we can argue our sides till we blue in the face, either you agree or you dont and im glad thats your opinion.

in anycase, like i said a Jock is a lot worse than any pitbulls ive ever come across. you just try go out anywhere and watch how fast a jock will come try cause a fight. ALOT faster than any pitbull would.

Apache

Expert Member
I visited a friends friend years ago and a staffie terrier charged me. As it got near enough I jumped into the air and brought my heel down onto its head very hard. It looked at me and ran away. To this day I don't know if he was been friendly or aggressive.

RIP to the man though.

Ninja'd

A Djinn
I visited a friends friend years ago and a staffie terrier charged me. As it got near enough I jumped into the air and brought my heel down onto its head very hard. It looked at me and ran away. To this day I don't know if he was been friendly or aggressive.
You just became a badass in my book. :cool:

Demon7

Firing shots in the air...
Firstly, they should know that it is not safe to fire shots into the air... rater into the ground in front of you...
secondly... I don't care if it was a dog or a person.. if I could save a life by using my firearm.. I will. I wont even have to think about it.
Those policeman deserve to be wrapped over the knuckles... absolutely poor.
Then there is the ambulance only arriving a hour later.. WTF !!!
People focusing on the dog when there is so more more humans could have done....
Seriously poor service all round.

Alan

Honorary Master
the ambulance arrived an hour later, after the police had already got there and shot the dog :wtf:

I visited a friends friend years ago and a staffie terrier charged me. As it got near enough I jumped into the air and brought my heel down onto its head very hard. It looked at me and ran away. To this day I don't know if he was been friendly or aggressive. .
all that practising on liberals paid off.

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
This is insane! The neighbours waited for what must have been at least 10 minutes for the police to arrive whilst standing and watching their own dog munching on the guy!

P

Picard

BUT ... the problem is that a pitbull has the most dangerous potential.

Celine

Executive Member
it is NOT the pitbull that is the problem at all. i have a pitbull and the more i tell these morons walking past my gate to stop antagonising my dog the more the ****ers do it.

imagine being on the one side of the fence and someone is taunting you on the other side day in and day out. what the hell is wrong with people.

just yesterday i had a screaming match with this friggin indian dude about his 2 little girls who he collects from the creche next door. every single day he allows them to come to my gate and they stand in front of my gate antagonising my dog. yesterday i had enough and went to him and told him to get his kids away from my gate. he has no right to let his kids stand at my gate like that at all. he had this "don't care" attitude with me telling me that he tells them not to do it. like hell he tells them not to when they do it every single day and my dog goes ape.

this is the type of thing that causes the dog to go nuts when it eventually attacks someone. it may not be the person that has been taunting it all along but the person who is innocent will get it.

Gnome

Executive Member
The wife doesn't seem to phased, maybe the people in the area didn't like him...

Pitbulls ~1/4 the weight of an adult male, I can't believe people were too scared to do something. Sometimes darwin prevails.

Seriously a knife could have sorted this out faster than a 9mm. Might have gotten bitten but there is no way I'm standing around watching a guy get malled when I could have run into the house and grabbed a knife and ended it.

Think they are trying to create sensation :)

They never said if all the shots hit the dog and they didn't say where the dog was shot. Just like any animal (incl human) if you shoot it in a non-vital area it will take multiple gun shots to take it down.

Last edited:

Gnome

Executive Member
it is NOT the pitbull that is the problem at all. i have a pitbull and the more i tell these morons walking past my gate to stop antagonising my dog the more the ****ers do it.
Onus is on you to provide the correct environment to your animal.

Most animals would also taunt your dog, it can be clearly seen in the wild (Lions VS Hyena's, Dog VS Dog, Dog VS Cat, etc.), some humans can't resist that urge. Some humans have more control than others.

However if your dog gets out, be prepared to face man slaughter charges or if the person survives a very serious law-suit. Promptly followed by the disposal of the animal.

The owner is at fault.

I love animals but it annoys me when owners of aggressive animals like to blame everyone else when they don't have the correct environment or skills to handle the animal.