Pit bull mauls pensioner to death

carstensdj

Expert Member
Wagging a tail has nothing to do with the state of a dog, many wag their tails when they are going to attack(particularly with bull terriers)
I have to ask where you were when you were bitten and where the dogs owner was. i.e was it in public or in someone's garden?

Anyone ever watch the dog whisperer? ever see his dogs daddy and junior?
If you have watched it then you will notice his thing for pitbulls and trying to change the perception of them.

Soz Ponder im not directing the pitbull stuff at you, im just too lazy to post again :p
Yea his Pitties are beautiful! I have so much respect for Ceaser Millan!

Pitbulls were the "Ultimate Family Pet" in the early 20th Century. Then these twats who started fighting them started giving them a bad rep and now it's just gone out of control. They are by far the MOST mis-understood breed of dog hands down!

Anyone here ever watch the the Rascals movies? with Alfyfa....? The dog that in that was an American Pitbull!

carstensdj

Expert Member
Another problem with society is that the term "Pit Bull" is generally used for many breeds which arent infact true American Pitbull Terriers!

Bullterrier, Staffordshire Terrier, American Staffordshire terrier... These are 3 breeds that commonly get called "Pitbulls" and are in actual fact NOT Pitbulls at all.

The second someone see's a short stocky dog attack they use the general term "Pitbull" when in actual fact MANY of the cases were NOT American Pitbulls at all...

ponder

Honorary Master
I have to ask where you were when you were bitten and where the dogs owner was. i.e was it in public or in someone's garden?

I was walking home on the opposite side of the road to where the owner of the dog lived, their gate was open and the owners were home. At the time the dog was outside their gate before it crossed the road to my side. Luckily I had my surfboard in my hands and the fins were a good weapon :D If I had a baseball bat, pick axe handle or gun with me I would have killed the dog without blinking an eye.

Blackhand

Seriously?! SERIOUSLY?!

There are sooo many things that are completely disturbing in this article:

1. Onlookers doing NOTHING for what must have been 20+ minutes.
2. Police firing warning shots into the air in a life or death situation.
3. Ambulance taking an hour to arrive.

This was a life that could have EASILY been saved if just one person stepped up and did the right thing, starting with the onlookers. Knife, fork, brick/rock, spade, anything, bunch of complete cowards the lot of them. I mean my god, even if they were so damn terrified, they could have even tossed a knife to the guy being mauled so he could defend himself. They should be criminally charged.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
1) Owner at fault -hold them liable
2) Ambulance took an hour, I don't know the area well but isn't there a hospital 4 blocks away?
3) Surely someone could have assisted before it got to death stage.

Very disturbing indeed.

m4dh4tt3r

wow this is getting out of hand, PLEASE FOR ANY BODY WHO WANTS ACTUAL PROOF OF HOW A PITBULL IS SUPPOSED TO ACT AND ACTS WITH A DECENT TRAINER --> go watch The dog whisperer. end of story... this guy (cesar) is not big at all and during the one episode he even actual deals with a violent pitbull and sorts it out without needing to kill the dog. sure its not busy attacking somebody but I bet almost anything that using this guys technique you would be able to subdue the dog with enough of an adrenaline rush and strength and a bite or 2, take it into rehabilitation and let the dog live a happy life without hurting anybody else.

carstensdj

Expert Member
I was walking home on the opposite side of the road to where the owner of the dog lived, their gate was open and the owners were home. At the time the dog was outside their gate before it crossed the road to my side. Luckily I had my surfboard in my hands and the fins were a good weapon :D If I had a baseball bat, pick axe handle or gun with me I would have killed the dog without blinking an eye.

Thats just pure negligence on the owners part! Makes no difference that it was a pitbull (If it was even a pitbull [see post above]) as any big or strong breed of dog should not be wandering Public spaces as when they attack, they have the power to do serious damage!

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Bullterrier, Staffordshire Terrier, American Staffordshire terrier... These are 3 breeds that commonly get called "Pitbulls" and are in actual fact NOT Pitbulls at all.

You know, I said my next dog was going to be a pitbull a while back and when I read up on them I saw the pictures and that wasn't the dog I was thinking of. I was in fact thinking of the normal black and white bullterrier. You know what, our pet shop sells other breeders dogs and they sold these "pitbulls" that I wanted...

I think that in general people don't know which dog the pitbull is.

carstensdj

Expert Member
You know, I said my next dog was going to be a pitbull a while back and when I read up on them I saw the pictures and that wasn't the dog I was thinking of. I was in fact thinking of the normal black and white bullterrier. You know what, our pet shop sells other breeders dogs and they sold these "pitbulls" that I wanted...

You see thats the problem! Half the time it's not even a Pitbull, but gets reported as one because people are so mis-informed as to what a pitbull really is.

I think what you are talking about is the Bull Terrier. Is it this? http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images10/MinBullTerrierCamino1CH.SterlingsQueen.jpg

Contrary to poular belief... That ^^^ is NOT a pitbull. Calling that an Alsation is just as wrong as calling it a pitbull... (Not saying you in particular @phonejunky, just saying in general)

phoneJunky

Executive Member
You see thats the problem! Half the time it's not even a Pitbull, but gets reported as one because people are so mis-informed as to what a pitbull really is.

I think what you are talking about is the Bull Terrier. Is it this? http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images10/MinBullTerrierCamino1CH.SterlingsQueen.jpg

Contrary to poular belief... That ^^^ is NOT a pitbull. Calling that an Alsation is just as wrong as calling it a pitbull... (Not saying you in particular @phonejunky, just saying in general)

That is in deed the one I wanted to do research on yes. Wanted to get me a black and white one. My whole life I called the bull terrier a pitbull and I have lived with dogs my whole life. Even at the shop they sold it as pitbulls.

And dude, I was wrong. No need to not single me out.

carstensdj

Expert Member
That is in deed the one I wanted to do research on yes. Wanted to get me a black and white one. My whole life I called the bull terrier a pitbull and I have lived with dogs my whole life. Even at the shop they sold it as pitbulls.

And dude, I was wrong. No need to not single me out.

One more educated person :D YAY!!!

Wish more people would realize these things before reporting that a "Pitbull" attacked someone and stop ruining the reputation of a perfectly brilliant breed of dog!

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
One more educated person :D YAY!!!

Wish more people would realize these things before reporting that a "Pitbull" attacked someone and stop ruining the reputation of a perfectly brilliant breed of dog!

It goes both ways. Poor bullterriers getting bad rep because people think that they are pitbulls ;)

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member

Ahh cool so its stupid owners that dont close their gates. I was always really scared of bull terriers growing up cos the one thing I knew about them was that if they looked happy and were wagging their tails then they were about to bite you :p

carstensdj

Expert Member
It goes both ways. Poor bullterriers getting bad rep because people think that they are pitbulls ;)
But people dont think that... Not many people know what a Bullterrier is, so no bad rep going out there

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member

Honestly until about 5 years ago I also thought a bull terrier was a pit bull.
I love pitbulls, bull terriers and staffies. They are all powerful and incredibly tenacious breeds but what incredibly loving dogs.
I have a staffie and she lets kids pull her tail etc without ever getting upset.

porchrat

Honorary Master
See NOW the truth comes out. You are a surfer. That pitbull was just doing society a favour. :D

carstensdj

Expert Member
Honestly until about 5 years ago I also thought a bull terrier was a pit bull.
I love pitbulls, bull terriers and staffies. They are all powerful and incredibly tenacious breeds but what incredibly loving dogs.
I have a staffie and she lets kids pull her tail etc without ever getting upset.

Yea my Pitbull LOVES kids! They climb on him, pull his ears etc and he just lies there licking them to death!

Celine

Executive Member
Onus is on you to provide the correct environment to your animal.

Most animals would also taunt your dog, it can be clearly seen in the wild (Lions VS Hyena's, Dog VS Dog, Dog VS Cat, etc.), some humans can't resist that urge. Some humans have more control than others.

However if your dog gets out, be prepared to face man slaughter charges or if the person survives a very serious law-suit. Promptly followed by the disposal of the animal.

The owner is at fault.

I love animals but it annoys me when owners of aggressive animals like to blame everyone else when they don't have the correct environment or skills to handle the animal.

my dog is not aggressive at all, so let's get that straight. the aggression comes because of idiots who aggravate the dog when walking past the gate. which part of my post did you not read properly?

my dog is in the correct environment so where do you get off telling me to have my dog in the correct environment. it's in it's own yard. the fact that stupid people walk past is not my fault or that of my dogs. neither can it be avoided when people walk their dog past my gate.

if a dog attacks someone it's because it's been taunted by someone and that i've witnessed this very fact.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
if a dog attacks someone it's because it's been taunted by someone and that i've witnessed this very fact.

So this pensioner was taunting the dog by going out into his front yard with his toy Pomeranians? :confused: