Pit bull mauls pensioner to death

yebocan

Honorary Master
it is NOT the pitbull that is the problem at all. i have a pitbull and the more i tell these morons walking past my gate to stop antagonising my dog the more the ****ers do it.

imagine being on the one side of the fence and someone is taunting you on the other side day in and day out. what the hell is wrong with people.

just yesterday i had a screaming match with this friggin indian dude about his 2 little girls who he collects from the creche next door. every single day he allows them to come to my gate and they stand in front of my gate antagonising my dog. yesterday i had enough and went to him and told him to get his kids away from my gate. he has no right to let his kids stand at my gate like that at all. he had this "don't care" attitude with me telling me that he tells them not to do it. like hell he tells them not to when they do it every single day and my dog goes ape.

this is the type of thing that causes the dog to go nuts when it eventually attacks someone. it may not be the person that has been taunting it all along but the person who is innocent will get it.
You have a creche next door, by what I am hearing, doggie could see this as a take away....-

yebocan

Honorary Master
...holy crap, never knew these pets where that dangerous...we always just had pavement specials, they lasted longer and did not get all the weird congenital defects like the pedigree ones ....these pets are like dinosaurs, at best tamed wild, sorry no hell, no way, not in my neighbourhood, and sure as hell not in my yard. You have the right to own these "dinosaurs" , but if something happens, you had the facts about them before hand, and made an educated choice...- good luck to all the happy owners.

Celine

Executive Member
So this pensioner was taunting the dog by going out into his front yard with his toy Pomeranians? :confused:
no that's not what i'm saying gary. it's possible that this dog had already been aggravated by other people and the pensioner was the one who was on the receiving end when the dog got his chance to get back at someone. what his little toy poms have to do with it, i have no clue. maybe they were meat bites/snacks :D

MyWorld

Executive Member
To find any conclusive evidence on this debate is rather a challenge since no two groups can seem to put their differences (and feelings) aside to get to the facts.

Even the people at wikipedia are divided into two groups, the pro and anti-Pit Bull.

What I could gather from the bit of reading that I have done is that death due to a dog attack is actually very rare. +/- 238 in 20 years in the US. Again, it will be almost impossible to track down every single incident.

The fact is the terrier group tops the list for dog that killed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States

Note: They mention "pit bull type", and this will include all large breed terrier breeds.

racer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States
The numbers dont lie. Pit bulls and dogs bred with pit bulls have the most fatalities in the US.
There's a reason for that. The Pit Bull is the current dog of choice for dog fighters, thugs, wannabe gangsters and just about every johnny on the block! So there's a lot more of them around. I remember when I was still in primary school, before Pit Bulls were the in thing, they all had dobermans and rottweillers. And before that it was Alsations.

As long as everyone who wants to be cool has an untrained Pit Bull, then these attacks will sadly continue. But Pit Bulls are no more dangerous than any other large dog - they just currently totally outnumber the other breeds and thus make the headlines more often.

The "magic switch" which someone mentioned is a fallacy. A pure bred Pit Bull is not a mad dog that goes insane and attacks for some obscure reason. Having said that however, most of our "pit bulls" here are not pure bred and if truth be told, a lot of them are actually badly bred viz. namely taking the most aggressive dogs and mating them to produce even more aggressive dogs. And then training them to be aggressive - all for image so that Johnny Badboy can parade his fighting dog around.

Unfortunately the breed has a bad rep because of this, and I'm not sure what, if anything can be done about it. My only advice is, if anyone wants a Pit Bull, call KUSA and get a list of registered breeders. That way you'll be sure your new Pit Bull pup will be pure bred (without any "magic switch") and a really great companion.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
it is NOT the pitbull that is the problem at all. i have a pitbull and the more i tell these morons walking past my gate to stop antagonising my dog the more the ****ers do it.

imagine being on the one side of the fence and someone is taunting you on the other side day in and day out. what the hell is wrong with people.

just yesterday i had a screaming match with this friggin indian dude about his 2 little girls who he collects from the creche next door. every single day he allows them to come to my gate and they stand in front of my gate antagonising my dog. yesterday i had enough and went to him and told him to get his kids away from my gate. he has no right to let his kids stand at my gate like that at all. he had this "don't care" attitude with me telling me that he tells them not to do it. like hell he tells them not to when they do it every single day and my dog goes ape.

this is the type of thing that causes the dog to go nuts when it eventually attacks someone. it may not be the person that has been taunting it all along but the person who is innocent will get it.
throw water on them with a bucket.or get a pressure washer,crank that badboy up so that it can strip paint, and let them have it. ;)

OzzieCapie

Expert Member
Amazing how the pitbull lobby try to defend the indefensible, shocking actually when a death has ocurred due to one.

In Australia after several fatal attacks by these wild animals they are on severe restrictions (where currently owned) and banned from importation and breeding in several states.
This does not apply to pitbull 'look alikes' eg staffies etc.

There is a reason for this. They are highly unpredictable and deadly when they do attack. Why wait until they kill someone? The owners of dogs causing a fatality or injury face serious charges here. So you better not emigrate to here with that pitbull mentality.

What is the reason for owning a pitbull in the first case? There is no non violent reason. If you argue "for protection" then that is an admission that it is dangerous. Get another type of dog, your choices are endless.
If lions were legal then these people would own them too and say "look, its a trained one...nice and playfull, sit cubbie, sit"...until the thing gets irritated by someone when it is hungry and that person is breakfast.

Bloody stupid pitbull owners. Perhaps shoot them instead, at least you will breed out stupidity.

spiderz

Honorary Master
throw water on them with a bucket.or get a pressure washer,crank that badboy up so that it can strip paint, and let them have it. ;)
Does'nt work.
Heard about putting a stick up it's arse (not sure if it'll work), or just to choke it till it passes out.
I don't trust pit bulls / staffies.

-toady-

Expert Member
Plenty of questions need to be asked, but you can guarantee won't be. What drove the dog to change from what the dead man's wife had said it knew her husband very well? And how come it could suddenly get under the wall/fence and hadn't previously tried taking out the neighbour's chihuahuas/toy poms? Did the animal suddenly dig a big enough access hole right in front of everyone, all by itself?
The matter of youngsters parading their pitbulls in the area has been raised before. Parading them on leashes and terrorising the neighbourhood. Not clever. Will this tragedy change anything? Probably not. :(

Last edited:

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
no that's not what i'm saying gary. it's possible that this dog had already been aggravated by other people and the pensioner was the one who was on the receiving end when the dog got his chance to get back at someone. what his little toy poms have to do with it, i have no clue. maybe they were meat bites/snacks :D
So then that just supports our theory that they are dangerous animals. If they can get so riled up by one party that they then attack a third party it means that they are too dangerous to have around.

OzzieCapie

Expert Member
What drove the dog to change from what the dead man's wife had said it knew her husband very well? And how come it could suddenly get under the wall/fence and hadn't previously tried taking out the neighbour's chihuahuas? Did the animal suddenly dig a big enough access hole right in front of everyone, all by itself?
(
It's a pitbull. [Full stop.]

carstensdj

Expert Member
It's a pitbull. [Full stop.]
I saw a BMW broken down today... That must mean that they are ALL crap and break down. EVERY SINGLE LAST ONE OF THEM! The guys car was modified too, but instead of assuming he drives it like a twat and that is a probable cause for why it broke down, i will rather be simple minded and just state that they are all crap and not one of them has worked or ever will.

Thanks for your sharing your completely plausible opinion with us!

racer

Amazing how the pitbull lobby try to defend the indefensible, shocking actually when a death has ocurred due to one.
An average of 3 deaths per year from dog attacks... Admittedly all caused by Pit Bull type breeds. But as per my previous post, thats because they're the dog of choice now for people who shouldn't really even have dogs.

Any dog can be trained to be aggressive, and if people like you had your way and eliminated all Pits, then the Johnny Badboys would just choose another breed and in a few years time your ilk would be wanting to ban dobermans. And the cycle will continue until there's no more dogs except those little horrible rat-like things!

If you do some research into the breed, you'll see that Pit Bulls have actually had a really good rep for decades until very recently. Yes there are badly bred dogs out there, and yes there are people who breed dogs for fighting. But please remember that there are literally millions of well behaved, pet Pit Bulls out there who are not making the news and killing people!

The percentage of bad humans who kill people is multiple times larger than the percentage of bad Pits who kill people, but we don't see anyone wanting to ban the human race :)

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Ag shame man, no.
I would've taken a brick and klapped it on its head.
Man, I have tried that with an Alsation before (my own) when he was attacking another dog and I thought he was about to kill it. It didn't do squat. I had to eventually pull myself between the two dogs and got him to let go (getting a few bites in the process), something you don't do with a PB if you value your life. Dogs are strong. Extremely strong. When they go into a frenzy, it takes a hell of a lot of power to hold them back.

Anyway, sad story. Must have been a traumatizing event to witness. I don't know how I would have reacted. PB's are very scarey dogs when they are in a frenzy.

carstensdj

Expert Member
An average of 3 deaths per year from dog attacks... Admittedly all caused by Pit Bull type breeds. But as per my previous post, thats because they're the dog of choice now for people who shouldn't really even have dogs.

Any dog can be trained to be aggressive, and if people like you had your way and eliminated all Pits, then the Johnny Badboys would just choose another breed and in a few years time your ilk would be wanting to ban dobermans. And the cycle will continue until there's no more dogs except those little horrible rat-like things!

If you do some research into the breed, you'll see that Pit Bulls have actually had a really good rep for decades until very recently. Yes there are badly bred dogs out there, and yes there are people who breed dogs for fighting. But please remember that there are literally millions of well behaved, pet Pit Bulls out there who are not making the news and killing people!

The percentage of bad humans who kill people is multiple times larger than the percentage of bad Pits who kill people, but we don't see anyone wanting to ban the human race :)
+1

Thanks for that! Wish more people would look at facts as you do instead of just forming a solid opinion on something that they clearly have no idea about and just rant off what they hear in the media.

If the media reported on every good pitbull around people would have a very different opinion of them!

I just cannot understand why people cant use a SIMPLE LOGIC and piece together that the only reason you hear more about Pitbull attacks is because it's become fashionable to have a big badass dog walking with you. Those are the idiots who make the pitbull name gat! The attacks that people hear about are 9/10 times because the dog was raised incorrectly and to be aggresive. The attacks that people hear about are such a small % of the total amount of Pitbulls that exists, but then ofcourse you get idiots who assume that ALL Pitbulls are the same based on a minority, and a VAST minority of them!

carstensdj

Expert Member
Man, I have tried that with an Alsation before (my own) when he was attacking another dog and I thought he was about to kill it. It didn't do squat. I had to eventually pull myself between the two dogs and got him to let go (getting a few bites in the process), something you don't do with a PB if you value your life. Dogs are strong. Extremely strong. When they go into a frenzy, it takes a hell of a lot of power to hold them back.

Anyway, sad story. Must have been a traumatizing event to witness. I don't know how I would have reacted. PB's are very scarey dogs when they are in a frenzy.
You see... No one is going to comment and say "Oh Alsations... What beasts and horrible dogs!" because it's fine for an alsation to attack people every now and then... But god help the Pitbull who does anything!

Datura

Captain Faptastic
You see... No one is going to comment and say "Oh Alsations... What beasts and horrible dogs!" because it's fine for an alsation to attack people every now and then... But god help the Pitbull who does anything!
All dogs have the potential to be aggressive and most are at some point or another. The problem here is that the dog in question is deadly and when it does decide to attack, it easily kills it's target. I have done attack training with Pit Bulls before. They are extremely intelligent and listen well even when in attack mode if trained and disciplined correctly. Owners that can't control their dogs in dangerous situation (no matter what the breed) due to not having trained the dog properly are negligent and very stupid. People are to blame for underestimating the danger aspect of 'owning' animals. I love dogs, but they are animals and if you are going to keep them as pets, make damned sure you can control them. Again, no matter what the breed.

racer

if you are going to keep them as pets, make damned sure you can control them.
... and have them neutered. the main reason we're even having this discussion is because there are far too many "pitbulls" (and other dogs) in circulation of questionable breeding. there's no reason pets have to breed, we have reputable breeders for that.