Pit bull mauls pensioner to death

carstensdj

Expert Member
All dogs have the potential to be aggressive and most are at some point or another. The problem here is that the dog in question is deadly and when it does decide to attack, it easily kills it's target. I have done attack training with Pit Bulls before. They are extremely intelligent and listen well even when in attack mode if trained and disciplined correctly. Owners that can't control their dogs in dangerous situation (no matter what the breed) due to not having trained the dog properly are negligent and very stupid. People are to blame for underestimating the danger aspect of 'owning' animals. I love dogs, but they are animals and if you are going to keep them as pets, make damned sure you can control them. Again, no matter what the breed.
I completely agree with what you say here. The problem is not Pitbulls, it's the owners and how they intend to raise the dog...

Celine

Executive Member
I saw a BMW broken down today... That must mean that they are ALL crap and break down. EVERY SINGLE LAST ONE OF THEM! The guys car was modified too, but instead of assuming he drives it like a twat and that is a probable cause for why it broke down, i will rather be simple minded and just state that they are all crap and not one of them has worked or ever will.

Thanks for your sharing your completely plausible opinion with us!
well said.

any dog can be aggressive as racer has said. i have a pitbull who isn't aggressive but i have a pedigreed maltese cross toy pom that will bite your ankles if you come into her home. :D

carstensdj

Expert Member
well said.

any dog can be aggressive as racer has said. i have a pitbull who isn't aggressive but i have a pedigreed maltese cross toy pom that will bite your ankles if you come into her home. :D
Yea, thats the point i tried to make earlier in the thread... It's very common for small dogs to attack people, but because of their size, they cannot inflict any deadly harm. If a pitbull attacks, it is strong and very capable of causing harm... But now people go around saying that Pitbulls are aggressive and turn on people and shouldn't be kept as pets. I can guarentee that if we had to take dog breeds and make a poll of what breeds attack or are most aggresive (Leave the damage done out of this) you would see that a pitbull is far down that list!

There is a difference in a breed that is aggressive vs a breed that if agrevated, can do harm. People just dont seem to understand that.

Just another bit of insight for all the "Nay Sayers"... A "Pitbull" isn't actually a breed of dog at all. It is a term that was used for any breed of dog that was good at fighting in a ring. EG, Staffordshire Bullterrier, Bullterrier, AmStaff, Mastiff, Staffie, American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT), Bulldog, Boxer etc etc... So when you say that "Pitbulls are horrible - they are not pets - they turn on their owners" etc, you are infact reffering to a very wide range of breeds, and not societies stereotypical idea of an APBT and Bullterrier. Get your facts straight before knocking a breed because the media said you should!

Last edited:

fewl

Man, I have tried that with an Alsation before (my own) when he was attacking another dog and I thought he was about to kill it. It didn't do squat. I had to eventually pull myself between the two dogs and got him to let go (getting a few bites in the process), something you don't do with a PB if you value your life.
Geez guy, you're nuts to try and break up a dog fight like that. You're lucky you didn't end up in in hospital, or disfigured. Just for future reference, this is how you handle dogs in fight mode: The Leerburg Method.

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Geez guy, you're nuts to try and break up a dog fight like that. You're lucky you didn't end up in in hospital, or disfigured. Just for future reference, this is how you handle dogs in fight mode: The Leerburg Method.
I was young and panicked. The other dog was already so hurt that I wasn't worried about it doing damage to me and just prayed that my dog would come to his senses once he realised that it was me and not the other dog. Got a few nasty gashes on my arms but the dogs were in far worse shape. Stupid but it worked. Anyway, thanks for the link.

F

Fudzy

Apparently sticking your finger in the dog's bottom is a quick way to release it's jaws, sounds gross but considering the alternative..

carstensdj

Expert Member
LOL! Well aren't I glad I read that before trying to save someone from being attacked by a dog by violating it :D
Hahaha :D yea i also used to "know" the finger up the dogs arse trick, but apparently it wont work... Never needed to test it :)

Blackhand

Pitbulls are incredibly loving, protective and playful. But because of their power, they need lots of love and training. How many people actually train their pitbulls, VERY few I imagine, just as many probably treat them very poorly/abuse them.

Spending some time around these dogs will change your opinion of them, you definitely won't see them as wild killing machines. They are like any other dog, some of them are poorly looked after, very aggressive and not safe to be around people. Others are clearly well trained and spoiled, so they are goofy, playful and loving and would give their lives without hesitation to protect their family.

That aside, I find it ridiculous that the focus has been on the breed of the dog that made the attack. Onlookers letting the man get mauled for 20 minutes and suffer a slow agonizing death without lifting a finger and the ambulance taking an HOUR to arrive deserves far more attention. They couldn't think of SOMETHING to do to help him in 20 minutes?! I really don't buy it, something stinks.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
So if I'm walking in a neighborhood in Sandton and I see a police dog, and opens the gate, I shouldn't run for my life because I didn't aggrevate it?

ponder

Honorary Master
Listen up people, it's well known that some dog breeds are more aggressive than others. You cannot prove or wish that away. I just hope and pray your dog does not get hold of a child.

carstensdj

Expert Member
...Onlookers letting the man get mauled for 20 minutes and suffer a slow agonizing death without lifting a finger and the ambulance taking an HOUR to arrive deserves far more attention. They couldn't think of SOMETHING to do to help him in 20 minutes?! I really don't buy it, something stinks.
I also thought it sounded a little fishy... It's a shocking display from the public and the Emergency services! Why would not one person try and do something when it had clearly got to a life and death situation???