Pitbulls turn on their Phoenix family - mom, dad and son attacked

dualmeister

Honorary Master
And another ....

Aghori

Honorary Master

Big Rat

This is a sensitive issue for me, i had 2 pittbulls in my life, absolutely loved them to bits, great temperament with children, loving and absolutely goofballs.
Can they have an offday, pain somewhere, being startled or what ever and bite you. absolutely.
The same goes for poodle, pomeranian, alsation etc etc.

The one difference is that the pitbull has the strength to do serious damage. Poodle has a sore foot and you bump it.. proceed to laugh at its attempt to remove your pinkietoe. Pittbull has a sore foot and you step on it... You lose your leg... if you are lucky.
And once it starts, good luck trying to stop it, instinct kicks in, and you are facked.

Aghori

Honorary Master
This is a sensitive issue for me, i had 2 pittbulls in my life, absolutely loved them to bits, great temperament with children, loving and absolutely goofballs.
Can they have an offday, pain somewhere, being startled or what ever and bite you. absolutely.

The one difference is that the pitbull has the strength to do serious damage. Poodle has a sore foot and you bump it.. proceed to laugh at its attempt to remove your pinkietoe. Pittbull has a sore foot and you step on it... You lose your leg... if you are lucky.
And once it starts, good luck trying to stop it, instinct kicks in, and you are facked.

This.

My late pitbull, Mrs. Patches was a monster of a dog who could even drag me if she ran while on a leash. She died protecting my property many years back, while taking along 1 of those thugs to the afterlife and seriously wounding the other.

Big Rat

If you treat your animals like crap they won't like you. Not saying that is what happened, just a comment.
Jip. Never will a family admit, 'Oh, we treated the dog like ****, and we are not surprised it bit us, were waiting for it.'
No No. it is ALWAYS that the family treated it right, such a good doggie blah blah.
Meanwhile the whip lies in plain sight, dog is frothing around the mouth and is fed 2 live kittens every day.

See this everytime we go visit family in Kalbaskraal, chained up with 2 metre chain, in the sun, dry waterbowl. yet SPCA does nothing.

alanB

I'm always fascinated when people treat dog breeds as if they are brands of motorbikes or something. Where one should own this breed, or that breed, just like one would choose a car. To me a dog is not some brand, each one is an individual organism. Of course each breed has its inherent traits. For eg Pit Bulls were bred for fighting, the description is right there in their name, so one should not be surprised when they become aggressive, when its instincts are triggered. So they will have those characteristics, but it's not the same thing as buying a bakkie vs a SUV, at least not in my experience. I think people that get a Pit Bull particularly, thinking its some sort of machine, which must be aggressive and strong etc, and look the part, like someone who buys a muscle car to pose for the guys at the gym etc - that is a problem just waiting to happen IMO. Because they will reap what they sow. But by the same token, if you have a lion as a pet, one shouldn't be surprised when you are on the menu, if it becomes hungry.

I personally think a dog is not a solution to any security problem, unless you get say a Belgian Malinoise and then train the dog to very high level. AND THEN treat the dog as an expendable sacrificial weapon, where you send the dog in, so it can die instead of you. If you are not prepared to do that, then you should not get a dog to solve any security issue. Dogs are easily poisoned, stabbed, shot, kicked, picked up and smashed against the wall etc. For most of us, dogs are part of the family, and I think we are kidding ourselves if we think our dog is an alternative to an alarm system or armed response, or anything like that.

Acid0

Expert Member
I'm always fascinated when people treat dog breeds as if they are brands of motorbikes or something. Where one should own this breed, or that breed, just like one would choose a car. To me a dog is not some brand, each one is an individual organism. Of course each breed has its inherent traits. For eg Pit Bulls were bred for fighting, the description is right there in their name, so one should not be surprised when they become aggressive, when its instincts are triggered. So they will have those characteristics, but it's not the same thing as buying a bakkie vs a SUV, at least not in my experience. I think people that get a Pit Bull particularly, thinking its some sort of machine, which must be aggressive and strong etc, and look the part, like someone who buys a muscle car to pose for the guys at the gym etc - that is a problem just waiting to happen IMO. Because they will reap what they sow. But by the same token, if you have a lion as a pet, one shouldn't be surprised when you are on the menu, if it becomes hungry.

I personally think a dog is not a solution to any security problem, unless you get say a Belgian Malinoise and then train the dog to very high level. AND THEN treat the dog as an expendable sacrificial weapon, where you send the dog in, so it can die instead of you. If you are not prepared to do that, then you should not get a dog to solve any security issue. Dogs are easily poisoned, stabbed, shot, kicked, picked up and smashed against the wall etc. For most of us, dogs are part of the family, and I think we are kidding ourselves if we think our dog is an alternative to an alarm system or armed response, or anything like that.
Dogs are like the alarm system you have. It does not stop the crime but it buys you a bit of time and alert you when it happens. Same with dogs particularly the smaller breeds they are a bit more alert, so they will let you know when some one is in your yard. Bigger dogs might attack and yes I agree you must be prepared to use the dog as the first line defense and sacrifice its life to protect yours. That was what they initially was domesticated for.

But if you want a "Friend" and companion then I would say breeds are important as they were bred for specific tasks.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

I disagree, but in the sense that dogs can make decent biological alarm systems (if one pays attention when they bark that is), they can even alert one to treats still meters from your yard, while all other systems basically end in early warning purposes right at perimeter. Smaller dogs being more alert, less heavy sleepers generally.

Having an untrained big dog is indeed a gamble in effectiveness. I have seen enough CCTV where they do not deter the brazen criminals.

Spectralwarrior

True - any dog in pain becomes very aggressive. Which is why you might think twice about having a large aggressive dog. Saw an old lady struggling with her German Shepherd at the vet and another guy getting dragged around the street by his dog when walking...many owners cannot control their big dogs. Know someone with a Rottweiler with a very small yard. Told me she cannot take him out for walks as he is too vicious and difficult to handle, which ends up making him even more vicious in that small yard. Think carefully before you get a big/medium aggressive dog. Do you have the space? Can you exercise him? How will you handle his aggression when he is in pain or injured? Can you even get him in your car if you need to take him to the vet?

Last edited:

Howdy

Expert Member
Dogs are just turd and noise generators, now a leopard in your yard will work.
leo.jpg

Or move to the Boksburg and get a tiger or two.