Plan to allow pupils to wear Afros and to make PE and indigenous languages compulsory

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I have no issue with this, but we have MANY cultures and traditions which has all evolved into a unique group and individual qualities. The department should avoid special treatment and look into mechanisms and rules which will accommodate everyone.

Tomorrow you have white kids who want to honour their Viking heritage. You know...

First, they need to repair the educational system, and only then to look into additions.

thechamp

Honorary Master
I have no issue with this, but we have MANY cultures and traditions which has all evolved into a unique group and individual qualities. The department should avoid special treatment and look into mechanisms and rules which will accommodate everyone.

Tomorrow you have white kids who want to honour their Viking heritage. You know...

First, they need to repair the educational system, and only then to look into additions.
All of a sudden white children will want to honour their Viking heritage because black children are allowed to wear afros? Why do people want to make this so complicated, it's just hair, it just grows differently, it has nothing to do with heritage.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
All of a sudden white children will want to honour their Viking heritage because black children are allowed to wear afros? Why do people want to make this so complicated, it's just hair, it just grows differently, it has nothing to do with heritage.
No, I said all things should be equal by equal considerations. There needs to be accommodation, nothing, “because”, which is what you insinuated.

Once the department caters to one group, then they also need to cater to another. Demands.

clickingbuttons

Only black kids are allowed to "honor" their heritage. If white people do it then its racist

Mekon

This indigenous language thing should just be another language along with your own language.My son is in gr10 and I think it would be beneficial for him to learn Zulu or Xhosa along with English. Why Afrikaans is still compulsory is beyond me.

Jola

Honorary Master
Let the school deal with the sitting arrangements and stop worrying yourself about non issues, there are tall kids, fat kids and short kids, the school as well as the kids have managed just fine all along.
BS.

Being fat or short, even tall, doesn't prevent other kids from seeing the teacher / board.

This is an issue.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Only black kids are allowed to "honor" their heritage. If white people do it then its racist
It is important to introduce indigenous languages demographically where applicable within the educational curriculum. This is an element to education which I respect, but it should also avoid in diminishing other languages. As I said, we have many cultures and traditions.

In regard to hairstyles, when you listen to a group and meet their demand then you must also be willing to listen to other groups and also consider in meeting their demands. Forums, there needs to be a representative quorum which makes their decision on public input.

From my own experiences, people who can exercise and practice in being themselves are generally more productive, however, we also need to respect others within their houses (and at times we need to share those bubbles).

Techne

Honorary Master
Afros? Sure why not. At least more will pass since crib notes can be hidden there.
Physical Education? Sure, make the fatties run.
Indigenous language? Sure why not?

SoldierMan

Expert Member
This indigenous language thing should just be another language along with your own language.My son is in gr10 and I think it would be beneficial for him to learn Zulu or Xhosa along with English. Why Afrikaans is still compulsory is beyond me.
Afrikaans is still compulsory?! Man I had it when I was in school. For me English should be the only compulsory language, and then it is up to the pupil to choose another language they want to learn, be it Xhosa, Afrikaans, etc.

Edit: I used English as the compulsory language but what I should've said is it could be whatever your preferred home language is or preferred language of instruction is. Then choose an additional language. As I know some are not taught in English but in Xhosa, Zulu or Afrikaans. English will take you places (not only in SA) though, so considering making it compulsory might be a good idea.

Last edited:

theratman

Executive Member
Afrikaans is still compulsory?! Man I had it when I was in school. For me English should be the only compulsory language, and then it is up to the pupil to choose another language they want to learn, be it Xhosa, Afrikaans, etc.
Agreed.

dj2381

Expert Member
I agree with everything in that article, for those who have issues with peoples hair, grow up, unless it's harming anyone who tf cares?

tin4444

Glad the government is focusing on the important matters, as always .

Who cares if we can’t do maths or find suitable employment with the education we received, at least our hair was the way we wanted it.

nightjar

Expert Member
Bearing in mind the flood of refugees from that Zimbabwe turd-hole because of EWC, it is reasonable to assume that the flood of refugees from an EWC-crippled SA will be proportionately bigger and that the refugees will need to live and work outside Africa.

The last thing that refugees, white, black & in between, will need is an indigenous language that is useless outside the scattered patches in SA where it is found; quite apart from not even having words for much that is found in the civilized world.

Stokstert

Executive Member
As long it suits your view it must be acceptable, to hell with the rest.