Plan to raise South Africa’s taxes will backfire: analysis

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
“The ethical and legal arguments against taxes that do indeed serve a utilitarian goal is beyond the scope of this article. However, it is evident that even on pragmatic grounds, increasing tax rates or introducing new taxes is arbitrary and likely to be unconstitutional.”

How do you prove a tax is unconstitutional?

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Our Government is too stupid to understand any of this.
They are borderline retards. With the IQ of a Potato.
Unfortunately they will never understand a lot of things in life, not just the anc people in government, every single one of their supporters as well....

Deadmanza

Honorary Master
Unfortunately they will never understand a lot of things in life, not just the anc people in government, every single one of their supporters as well....
Oh, they will understand eventually, very much like the people of Zim are understanding.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
We don't need more taxes. We need more tax payers.
Or spend the R1.5 Trillion a year better. Can they honestly point to anything physical they have built in the past few years that is worth even 10% of that? The odd half finished project here and there. But 95% of that money is spent on consumables and salaries.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Never mind NHI, there seems to be a growing call for a new "wealth tax" from various quarters (https://mg.co.za/article/2019-09-03-why-south-africa-should-seriously-consider-taxing-its-wealthy-citizens).

It is such a monumentally stupid idea that no doubt the ANC is all for it.
The wealth tax bollocks has been on the cards for years. There is a reason it never gets implemented, because SARS knows that the people its targeting would just **** the money around to avoid it anyway.

Neuk_

Expert Member

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I got precisely two paragraphs in before I stopped myself from reading any more propaganda. Is the article beyond the first two paragraphs also complete and utter BS?
Largely... many percentages for things and zero context...

rodga

Executive Member
I keep repeating myself...

“For a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.” - Winston Churchill.
Had no idea your real name was Winston!

garp

Executive Member
I got precisely two paragraphs in before I stopped myself from reading any more propaganda. Is the article beyond the first two paragraphs also complete and utter BS?
Pretty much.

Most of this kind of claptrap comes from academics that have never worked a day in their lives in any commercial operation, and who have been steeped in Marxist doctrine from day one of their sociology course.

Then it's seized upon by politicians, who similarly haven't ever worked a single day in any kind of productive venture, and then it gets regurgitated by what passes for "journalists" who, yip you guessed it, also haven't done a day's work outside of their collective thought bubbles.

This is what apparently runs the world now - a self-reinforcing class of "thought leaders", politicians and academics who are increasingly disconnected from the reality of the average person who works their butts off to pay taxes with bugger all benefits in return, all the while lecturing and legislating on what's best for us.