Plane with 164 aboard just 30m from midair collision at King Phalo Airport

das Toktokken

Honorary Master

A jet with 164 people on board came within 30m of disaster when a student pilot at the controls of a light aircraft mixed up “left” and right”.

A near-miss involving the two planes, which happened at King Phalo Airport in East London on August 25, emerged this week in an SA Civil Aviation Authority report.

The regulator launched an investigation after the pilot of a Safair Boeing 737 carrying six crew and 158 passengers from Cape Town reported a near collision when the plane was landing at 7.25am.

The preliminary serious incident report said an air traffic controller twice ordered the 33-year-old student pilot to turn right to avoid a collision with Safair 142, but he turned left instead and came within 30m of the jet.

Insint

Expert Member
Glad it was just a near miss.

I hope the student will go and learn how to determine what left and right is.

It not hard to learn.

nightjar

Executive Member
I think the basic training needs to expanded in the early stages so as to ensure that the trainee understands the difference between left & right.
Maybe a reference to the nose picking finger might drive the idea home?

maumau

Honorary Master
Glad it was just a near miss.

I hope the student will go and learn how to determine what left and right is.

It not hard to learn.

Oh but it is!

Several family members and I have extreme difficulty in telling one from the other, even if we concentrate.

Norrad

Expert Member
Seems to be a common enough occurrence that scientists have had to study it.

It's even more of a problem in flight training as often "left" and "right" sometimes seem contradictory to each other. Being told to join "right downwind" means you have to join on the left side of the runway (runway to the right) as an example.

• Wow
Reactions: ES1

azbob

Honorary Master
This incident does not exactly fill me with confidence.
What is however far more disturbing be that "scientists should study it".

Jiiirrre

Scientists “have had” to study it. Seems the student pilot is not the only one unable to process words.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
This incident does not exactly fill me with confidence.
What is however far more disturbing be that "scientists should study it".

Jiiirrre

Even taking into account your inability to read a sentence, why should it be disturbing that scientists should study a phenomenon that many people experience regularly, and actually does pose a significant safety risk in many areas of our daily lives?

Ponderer

Executive Member
Even taking into account your inability to read a sentence, why should it be disturbing that scientists should study a phenomenon that many people experience regularly, and actually does pose a significant safety risk in many areas of our daily lives?
Oh my
You confirmed my fear.

• Haha
Reactions: ES1