PlayStation 4 Pro vs Xbox One X – Ultimate console showdown

Gudnews

Where's the H.265 support though? I need my console to double up as a jack of ALL codecs media player. This sadly seems something of an after thought.

Ninja'd

A Djinn
Where's the H.265 support though? I need my console to double up as a jack of ALL codecs media player. This sadly seems something of an after thought.
It's all about the streaming services now.

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
So glad I didn't upgrade from my XB360 to the Xbox One yet... This might be the perfect time to upgrade. Just give it six months or so for the prices to settle down and specials to start kicking in.

K3NS31

Expert Member
So glad I didn't upgrade from my XB360 to the Xbox One yet... This might be the perfect time to upgrade. Just give it six months or so for the prices to settle down and specials to start kicking in.
I was just thinking exactly the same thing. Been tempted to pull the trigger on a One S since it launched, having said I wouldn't by the first next-gen SKU. Now I'm glad I didn't buy the second SKU either.

Gudnews

The Xbox One and One X support x265 HEVC.
While, it still has limit. Xbox One only supports HEVC 10-bit codec. Based on our testing, some H.265 files like in 12bit can't play via Xbox One properly.

I'm no expert bit this seems unnecessarily iffy. Is there some limiting factor in consoles that stops them from being jack of all codecs? The processing power suggests to me they should be able to do it in their sleep, what am I missing?

Dolby

Honorary Master
Call me an idiot but why does the BOne have IR?
It's insane.

I was in the process of design a new entertainment stand and was going to hide away all my components ... until I realised the remote control was IR. I have no idea why they keep perusing this IR thing!

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
It's insane.

I was in the process of design a new entertainment stand and was going to hide away all my components ... until I realised the remote control was IR. I have no idea why they keep perusing this IR thing!
The actual controller isn't IR...

whatwhat

Executive Member
"However, delivering over 30FPS in a native resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 would require double the processing power of 2,560 x 1,440 at 30FPS – meaning the Xbox One X will have to use lower graphics quality settings or upscaling techniques to deliver a minimum of 30FPS at 4K."

This article was written by someone who didn't watch E3 - Forza 7 is running 4K at 60FPS, with 30% GPU to spare. And it definitely isn't medium graphics.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Call me an idiot but why does the BOne have IR?
Because...

1. It doesn't implement HDMI-CEC which is utterly ridiculous for a supposed "Media Console"

2. It has HDMI in and tries to take over as your home media "Hub" so therefore wants to talk to your Cable TV box etc (irrelevant to us) and use on single remote.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
"However, delivering over 30FPS in a native resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 would require double the processing power of 2,560 x 1,440 at 30FPS – meaning the Xbox One X will have to use lower graphics quality settings or upscaling techniques to deliver a minimum of 30FPS at 4K."

This article was written by someone who didn't watch E3 - Forza 7 is running 4K at 60FPS, with 30% GPU to spare. And it definitely isn't medium graphics.
Well it's not like one can know specifically what the quality settings are. The only way to categorically determine whether it can do 4K @ 60FPS is to run a game bench in comparison with a PC port on Ultra.

The E3 demo reminded of GT5 running at 1080p on the PS3 as well. Ont the face of it, it looked gorgeous but after a while you quickly discover the tricks Sony and Polyphony did with non-obvious textures to keep the FPS up at that resolution.

On a PC you need at least a GeForce 1080 with i5/R5 to run at 4K60FPS on Ultra. The GPU alone costs 80% of the Xbox One S.

Last edited: