PlayStation 4: SA December launch, price indicated

manesan

Price is a bit steep. Still getting one though. Gonna be an expensive Christmas

spidaman

Expert Member
Very steep price. But expected launch price. Need to rob a bank. :banghead:

purpleonlineadmin

Ster Kinekor does it again and people take the shafting as usual. We use EU pricing at most, considering 349 pounds RRP is around 5.5 grand here, SK still want some wiggle room to make ridiculous profits off consoles once again (if you remember when the PS3 launched here you'll remember). SMDH The Xbox One is clearly going to be 8 grand at this rate, and not the 7grand with a little wiggle room!

That's why I never go for launch editions, I will wait 6-12 months and wait for revisions and updates

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
Wasn't the PS3 about roughly the same price when it was launched?

I'll hang on a while for the lower priced PS4 slim.

Vegeta

Executive Member
WOW that price! Luckily I got my Wii U for R2k... yeah yeah I know its "dead on arrival" blah blah blah but i'm enjoying mine very much. So might as well stick with it and my PC this gen because it seems only millionaires can afford the PS4 if Ster Kinekor has their way.

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
350 pounds @ R16.03 / pound = R5600 add approximately 10% handling / import duties, R6200 looks to be correct.

If you bring one into the country you will be charged Vat at least at customs... that equates to R6300+ anyway. Then I bet you anything you will be charged at least 10% excise duties ontop of that... so do the math ;)

Last edited:

purpleonlineadmin

Not "importing" it. Family tends to come to SA around twice a year. They'll just have to unbox it and pack it up and pay a flat rate duty tax on it if it applies *looks around* I mean they will let me play their system, and perhaps leave it here for me to play:whistling:

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Expensive but the price is about right. Just to bad the exchange rate is not in your favor.

I'll def be getting one.

Trixanno

350 pounds @ R16.03 / pound = R5600 add approximately 10% handling / import duties, R6200 looks to be correct.

If you bring one into the country you will be charged Vat at least at customs... that equates to R6300+ anyway. Then I bet you anything you will be charged at least 10% excise duties ontop of that... so do the math ;)

Agreed, the price tag seems to be in line.

Video game consoles are duty free (tariff heading 9504.50.90):
http://www.cargoinfo.co.za/OrdinaryCustomsDutyFullDetail.aspx?tariffItemId=10031&keyword=95.04

The calculation should read:
Cost of product: £349 x R16.054 = R5,602.85
Customs VAT: R5,602.85 x 15.5% = R868.44
This number is now already over the indicated price tag which obviously shows that SK do not get charged £349 per unit, but also, this number excludes things like cost of freight/customs clearing/local transport/margin etc. I think in this case, our wonderful exchange rate is screwing us over.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
It seems to be inline with what we would expect...

Its more than I'm prepared to spend on a console tbh, but its nowhere near as ridiculous as I was expecting.

Mouse

Expert Member
I expected it to be R6500, and expected that I would continue playing PS3 games until the inevitable 3rd revision of the hardware + bug fixes + price drop. I'll have GT6 and GTA5 to keep me going until then.