PlayStation 5 - All the details on the upcoming console

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Oh noes... They mentioned 8k. ZuluKing will be along shortly...

falcon786

Honorary Master
Glad I held of on pro or x box one x upgrade...my ps4 will be upgraded to this!:D

konfab

Honorary Master
pfffft.

Most modern systems (including my phone) can do ray tracing...
cow-nosed_ray.gif

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I am still wondering whether the custom Navi GPU hardware is natively supporting Ray Tracing or the acceleration thereof? I still believe AMD at their best is emulating and optimising the software emulation thereof.

I believe Sapphire said that Navi won't support Ray Tracing, but AMD has been running emulations on Vega 1st gen. I just believe the custom Navi GPU has a optimisation toolkit for software developers.

The PlayStation is likely to be disassembled to showcase the 'cores' of said custom Navi GPU.

Swa

Honorary Master
Ray tracing is still a gimmick in anything but 3D rendering where it can be emulated. Anywhere else you can't use it effectively without severely bogging down the GPU.

Thor

Honorary Master
How do I put an SSD into my PS3 and PS4?

Is it easy?

^Genuine question, I have lots of SSDs lying around. (PC is a 500GB Western Digital SSD RAID 10)

Cowboy619

Is it easy?

^Genuine question, I have lots of SSDs lying around. (PC is a 500GB Western Digital SSD RAID 10)
Pretty easy with both console. PS4. You can backup all your data to an external and then restore onto the SSD.but before you install you need to redownload the full restore latest firmware not just the latest firmware. There will be 2 options

Dolby

Honorary Master
Glad I held of on pro or x box one x upgrade...my ps4 will be upgraded to this!:D

I was the same as you ... I wasn't going to buy a stop gap PS4 Pro.

But, eBucks had the PS4 Pro on sale at R4.8k and I got R2.8k for my PS4 - so it was R2,000 extra 'investment' ... quite chuffed

blaaislaai

Executive Member
Holding onto my Day0 PS4 until this is released. I'm guessing R9k local pricing by 2020/2021 whenever release date is

Zyk1

Expert Member
Cool.
But the price going to put it out of range of many gamers and fans.

Nobody Important

Executive Member

Is it easy?

It's very easy. The Playstation website has an official guide for PS4.

The only thing that has prevented me from doing so is that I saw a video (I think LinusTechTips) that said it didn't make a noticeable difference like when you upgrade your laptop to an SSD. If you do it, let us know if it made a big difference.