PlayStation 5 and Xbox Two expected in 2020

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
PlayStation 5 and Xbox Two expected in 2020

Analyst Lewis Ward believes that both Sony and Microsoft will unveil their next-generation consoles at E3 2020, before releasing them in 2021.

Other analysts have speculated that Sony and Microsoft’s new gaming consoles would be announced at E3 2019, but Ward believes that hopeful gamers will have to wait.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
The PS4 Pro is going as strong as ever. Wouldn't be particularly smart to announce anything this year, unless Sony is convinced that Microsoft has moved its own timeline up.

eg2505

Honorary Master
why cant the new consoles have a PC function?

IE a partition set aside for win 10 or Linux on them?

so one can just use these things as a PC, as essentially that is exactly what they are.

kianm

Honorary Master
I'm pretty sure both will be forwards compatible for some time still.

Well Xbox we know for sure will be, but Sony might just be stupid and not go that way.
Yep, I don't trust Sony when it comes to compatibility

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yep, I don't trust Sony when it comes to compatibility
For sure neither do I.

And if they pull that move I will not be supporting them next generation regardless of how amazing the games are.

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
For sure neither do I.

And if they pull that move I will not be supporting them next generation regardless of how amazing the games are.
Sounds like you're cutting off your nose to spite your face. As long as they keep doing what they doing (which seems to quite successful) with this current gen consoles I will definitely keep support for the next gen.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Sounds like you're cutting off your nose to spite your face. As long as they keep doing what they doing (which seems to quite successful) with this current gen consoles I will definitely keep support for the next gen.
At R1000 per game, it makes no sense to screw with compatibility... it alienates your user base who have invested in the games.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Well let's rephrase and say I wouldn't support them from day one and not as the primary console (I started with PS4 and gradually migrated to Xbox as primary console after all).

So rather it would be a case of buying a PS5 down the line at great discount with exclusives only etc.

In reality there isn't much to spite your face over, it's a handful of games and even then mostly doesn't justify the cost of purchasing a whole console for. You wouldn't miss much if you didn't play them at all. It's really an excess cash luxury.

Having both an Xbox One X and PS4 Pro now and having played all the blockbusters I can say that I really wouldn't have been at much of a loss having skipped the PS4 exclusive games.

PoppieChoffel

Expert Member
I doubt I'd go for either console as a day 1 purchase to be honest, I have such a massive backlog of great games to play across XBO, PS4 and Switch that I can't see myself needing a new console until at least 2022 at this rate.... Studies for the first half of this year will cut my gaming time considerably and work getting crazy usually from mid year to end festive means I also don't play much during that time.... I'm unlikely to clear my backlog any time soon.

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
At R1000 per game, it makes no sense to screw with compatibility... it alienates your user base who have invested in the games.
It would be pretty stupid of Sony not to include backward compatibility on the PS5. Personally I could care less, once I sold my PS3 and got a PS4 I never looked back. The majority seems to want backward compatibility though.

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
Having both an Xbox One X and PS4 Pro now and having played all the blockbusters I can say that I really wouldn't have been at much of a loss having skipped the PS4 exclusive games.
I had an X Box One sometime ago. Although I can't say I've played all XB blockbusters, I had this exact thought on the console so I gave it away.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
It would be pretty stupid of Sony not to include backward compatibility on the PS5. Personally I could care less, once I sold my PS3 and got a PS4 I never looked back. The majority seems to want backward compatibility though.
I didn't really care in the past before I went digital as I could sell off the old titles.

Now I want those digital licenses the stretch a little further.

Also with the transition to PS4 not having backwards compatibility made sense due to the processor architecture differences, but with the PS5 that won't matter.

Since having kids the Xbox 360 backwards compatible stuff has been awesome.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I had an X Box One sometime ago. Although I can't say I've played all XB blockbusters, I had this exact thought on the console so I gave it away.
Different strokes hey.

I've just started to deeply dislike many of Sony's things and policies over time and therefore gravitated more towards Xbox for varying reasons...

* Better digital game pricing. (Sony still doesn't have a real local presence and the currency conversion is silly).
* Game Sharing on Xbox is no brainer whereas although possible on PS4 has many failings.
* Controller is better on Xbox.
* Xbox One X is more powerful, but that obviously only matters the last year or two.
* Game Pass
* Backwards Compatible.

Then there are a few things where Sony really just out rightly pisses on my battery.

* Bluetooth is available on the console...but not allowed for headsets. Even their own headset uses a stupid dongle.
* The above mentioned issue with digital pricing on the store in SA.
* Crossplay bullshit.
* Super crap hardware (worked on it myself and referring to the endless jetplanes)

So as a company I just don't see them as worth supporting, especially from a South African context. They don't support us so why should we support them?

Meanwhile Xbox has localised pricing and also awesome services and with Azure landing soon will get better and better.

Cube3

Expert Member
My Xbox One is used for MK XL and Netflix, that's about it. Don't think I'd buy another console ever again.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
My Xbox One is used for MK XL and Netflix, that's about it. Don't think I'd buy another console ever again.
See that's kind of the role of my PS4 Pro right now.

An exclusive comes along and it gets some play time for a week or two and then it goes back to just sitting there.

Half the time it's powered on accidentally when I choose the wrong source on TV.