Please do a MyBroadband speed test on Rain

Munross

2019-09-27 23:41:43
Server: Cape Town

Ping: 44ms
Download: 40.32Mbps
Upload: 2.71Mbps

To think I was struggling to get 10Mbps a few months ago here in Barberton, Mpumalanga ; Pretty happy with this new download speed! Now if only the upload speed can better to around 10Mbps and the ping can become quicker :D

Geselskap

Ping: 21ms
Download: 11.41Mbps
Upload: 6.89Mbps

Belhar, Northern Suburbs, Cape Town

namzsteve

Expert Member
North riding (now)
Ping: 116ms
Download: 1.76Mbps
Upload: 0.93Mbps

Pretoria Central (earlier today)
Ping: 13ms
Download: 35.81Mbps
Upload: 18.46Mbps

Geselskap

Ping: 22ms
Download: 5.52Mbps
Upload: 2.53Mbps

08h40, Bellville-South, Northern Suburbs, Cape Town

kabusi

Ping: 581ms
Download: 0.24Mbps
Upload: -1Mbps

My speedtest is consistently in this region.
It is due to congestion, according to the rain rep on this forum since I did get around 10-15Mbps in the early days and around 11pm just before the heavy downloads in my neighbourhood start.
What I do not understand is why Rain does not throttle and restrict those abusing the network since it is fully allowed in the t&c's and faq's.

"Does rain throttle speeds?
No. All members are given the network’s maximum level of service and speed. During peak periods, when the network is very busy, traffic is profiled in order to ensure that the most amount of people enjoy respective service. rain’s minimum standard is to allow the streaming of videos."

"Does rain have a Fair Usage Policy (FUP)?
rain’s product is designed for bona fide mobile use. The network is a shared resource, therefore, rain reserves the right to manage users who may be using the product for its unintended purposes as well as users who are impacting the performance of the network and other users of. Please refer to the terms and conditions for further information on our usage policy."

I can't even load a text webpage let alone stream so they are not really providing the service thay claim they will.

QX6700RULZ

Expert Member
Ping: 46ms
Download: 0.25Mbps
Upload: 1.53Mbps

Audas Estate area Somerset West

Weekend was running around 10 down so no idea what has happened today

lmatthews

Normal 4G speeds:

This is with an RSRP of -93dBm and SINR of 1dB on a Huawei B315s-936.

However, given my download speeds (between 8-200kbps generally) I'm pretty certain there's some throttling/congestion at play.

Edit: Somehow despite this Youtube 720p is still streaming like the bomb.

Last edited:

Xman

I am desperate. Afrihost give me the run around. Now they want to escalate and I must jump through hoops and supply all kinds of info. In the meantime it is so clear. They oversold Rain, who cannot handle the congestion. When I joined about 2 years ago, download and upload was 30 mbps and up to 40. It slowly declined over time.

Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test - Google Chrome 2019-11-01 20.17.36.jpg
Now I am lucky to get 2mbps down.

And they want to tell me I am out of coverage, yet I have outdoor antenna and full green bars on signal.

I am so gatvol! And Klerksdorp is so behind on Fiber. Now waiting for Vodacom to roll out theirs. Waiting....