Please do a MyBroadband speed test on Rain

beta_account

Quite disappointed, used to be on Rain through mweb and I was getting close to 40mbps most days (.2km from a rain tower). Switched to Rain through Rain and my speeds are

Ping: 19ms
Download: 12.22Mbps
Upload: 11.01Mbps

XmanDZA

That's some nice speeds! If you don't mind me asking, are you using outdoor or indoor router & how far away is the tower from you?
Outdoor router, the tower is about 200m from my house with a clear line of sight (only a couple of trees in the way). I have had no downtime so far (about 10 months in) and my speed stays relatively stable, even during peak hours. I could mount the router up higher and get a completely clear line of sight, but I'm satisfied with my current speed and stability.

BayCityRoller

OMG @rain_mobile - was hoping for better than the following, since activating a 1GB / R50 package earlier on this afternoon :

https://speedtest.co.za/result/5043725

ISP: rain
Ping: 64ms
Download: 3.93Mbps
Upload: 1.6Mbps

--
This taken after I moved the router to where I thought it would be better to connect to a tower 1,02 kms away :

https://speedtest.co.za/result/5043833

Ping: 68ms
Download: 1.88Mbps
Upload: 0.96Mbps

I thought after 2 years, which is when I first got the Rain SIM, it would do considerably better on my Huawei B525 router. I presume it can only connect to the 1800 spectrum, and not 2600, as these routers do 1800 & 2300.

But even using the same router, Cell C does better - can get 18 down, 9 up, and on Telkom 50 - 120 down & around 20 - 30 or 40 something upload.

Was hoping to consider getting the off-peak at R250, and using it with Axxess' Telkom 10 + 10 GB for peak times.

Oh well, ...

EDIT : that's why it's so bad - looking at the speedtests, being routed to Durban in the one case (which is usually a terrible option for me on other networks) and JHB (which isn't nearly as ideal as to CPT, which I think Telkom LTE defaults to for my connections).
On Cell C, also go to JHB, but it seems Rain's not accommodating PE for 4G (at least, where I am), like they are in JHB, PTA, and CPT.

Have to cancel this experiment & go no further with Rain, unfortunately.

Last edited:

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
OMG @rain_mobile - was hoping for better than the following, since activating a 1GB / R50 package earlier on this afternoon :

https://speedtest.co.za/result/5043725

Ping: 64ms
Download: 3.93Mbps
Upload: 1.6Mbps

--
This taken after I moved the router to where I thought it would be better to connect to a tower 1,02 kms away :

https://speedtest.co.za/result/5043833

Ping: 68ms
Download: 1.88Mbps
Upload: 0.96Mbps

I thought after 2 years, which is when I first got the Rain SIM, it would do considerably better on my Huawei B525 router. I presume it can only connect to the 1800 spectrum, and not 2600, as these routers do 1800 & 2300.

But even using the same router, Cell C does better - can get 18 down, 9 up, and on Telkom 50 - 120 down & around 20 - 30 or 40 something upload.

Was hoping to consider getting the off-peak at R250, and using it with Axxess' Telkom 10 + 10 GB for peak times.

Oh well, ...

EDIT : that's why it's so bad ; being routed to Durban (which is a terrible option for me) and JHB (which isn't as ideal as to CPT, which I think Telkom LTE defaults to for my connections).
On Cell C, also go to JHB, but it seems Rain's not accommodating PE for 4G (at least, where I am), like they are in JHB, PTA, and CPT.
Hi @BayCityRoller

Please provide me with your email via PM.

BayCityRoller

Hi @BayCityRoller

Please provide me with your email via PM.

Have sent it now, with additional message incl. that I'll re-insert the SIM & switch the router on for any testing you may want / need to do.

EDIT : Router's back on in original position (ie. where I got the better of the 2 speedtests), with the Rain SIM in it.

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Have sent it now, with additional message incl. that I'll re-insert the SIM & switch the router on for any testing you may want / need to do.

EDIT : Router's back on in original position (ie. where I got the better of the 2 speedtests), with the Rain SIM in it.
Thank you.

BayCityRoller

Thanks for trying, @rain_mobile , but as you can see from the result it's no better (apart from the ping), even though being routed to CPT :

https://speedtest.co.za/result/5044113

Ping: 39ms
Download: 1.92Mbps
Upload: 1.12Mbps

Will have to stick with what I have, which isn't bad at all, but would like unlimited for part of each day which you at Rain offer at a reasonable price.

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Thanks for trying, @rain_mobile , but as you can see from the result it's no better (apart from the ping), even though being routed to CPT :

https://speedtest.co.za/result/5044113

Ping: 39ms
Download: 1.92Mbps
Upload: 1.12Mbps

Will have to stick with what I have, which isn't bad at all, but would like unlimited for part of each day which you at Rain offer at a reasonable price.
Thank you for the feedback. I've sent you a PM.

BayCityRoller

Can I just confirm something @rain_mobile , taking into account your latest PM.
I wouldn't see the point in continuing to use this at these speeds, for the entire 1GB, if nothing more can be done.

When I log back into my account details, I get :

billing for .... Peak
September bill so far:
R3.87
(0.08 gigs used)

If I don't happen to connect up again to use any more data, is this what I'll be deducted (ie. R3.87) on the 1st Oct (next billing date), or will I be charged the full R50 for the 1GB ordered ?

It does state on your site you pay for what you use, but just want to be sure it's the far lesser amount that will come off (should I not use more).
"my plan : pay as you use"

Thanks again.

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Can I just confirm something @rain_mobile , taking into account your latest PM.
I wouldn't see the point in continuing to use this at these speeds, for the entire 1GB, if nothing more can be done.

When I log back into my account details, I get :

billing for .... Peak
September bill so far:
R3.87
(0.08 gigs used)

If I don't happen to connect up again to use any more data, is this what I'll be deducted (ie. R3.87) on the 1st Oct (next billing date), or will I be charged the full R50 for the 1GB ordered ?

It does state on your site you pay for what you use, but just want to be sure it's the far lesser amount that will come off (should I not use more).
"my plan : pay as you use"

Thanks again.
Should you not connect again, you will be charged the amount you see on your profile which is R3.87. Remember your sim card is still on the pay as you use.