Please don’t mess this one up as well, DoC (MyBroadband Column)

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
The Department of Communications (DoC) is hosting a National Integrated ICT Policy Colloquium aimed at creating a platform for the ICT industry to review the Department’s ICT policies.
omg. So this is the preparation for the groundwork for the review. How about we save everyone 5 years and just cut straight to the review?

Watch next they'll start with the committees, subcommittees, mission statements, vision statements and memorandums of understandings.

despite the DoC’s tremendous efforts to stifle competition, they could not hold it back. Altech won a court battle against the DoC to license more telecoms operators
Its an absolute disgrace that companies need to take the DoC to court just to prevent the DoC them from actively interfering with progress.

Wall

Sports Addict
Man, the doc is ****ing useless. I can't believe they wanted to stop international cables from landing in SA :mad:

j4ck455

Executive Member
Man, the doc is ****ing useless. I can't believe they wanted to stop international cables from landing in SA :mad:

IIRC the DoC's former director general, Shope-Mufhole is married to a guy that would have profited from the WASC cable but not from the Seacom and Eassy cables, she later left the DoC and became a founding member of COPE, it is also said that the cANCer used to consider her family to be "royalty".

Phillips9

It occurres to me that the people involved consider themselves so important that it would be below their standing to even read our comments.

Wimbo

It's true. I was there, at an EASSy meeting, when she demanded that SA companies owned 51% of any cable that lands in RSA. It seems that it hadn't occurred to her that a cable has two ends, and that they land in more than one place ...

The best bit, though, was when they had some chap deal with previous demands for an open access terrestrial network connecting the landlocked countries to the cable by proposing a monopoly network operator CALLED "Open Access"! Priceless.

Of course, that was in the bad old days when EASSy was expected to be the first new cable to land in RSA, breaking Telkom's monopoly on SAT3. They delayed the whole thing so long with their politicing that Kenya gave up and built TEAMS and SEACOM arrived here first.