Please help me all you IT GODS out there!!!

FibreOptic

Here is my problem.

I have a Telkom adsl line and a router configured with settings by the company IT to connect to the work VPN from home.

The problem comes when I want to use my Telkom Internet while I am connected to the work VPN.

I can't connect to the Internet at all.

I have tried logging into the router and adding a pppoe (whatever) with the Telkom username and password but it doesn't work.

How the $&@$ do I get my Telkom adsl Internet working while still connected to my work VPN.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Windows 7. Disconnect from VPN, go the VPN connection properties, click TCP/IP V4 properties, go advanced and "deselect" Use gateway on remote network. Should work now Sexy FibreOptic.

TheGuy

Expert Member
Go into the properties of the VPN connection.

Click the networking tab
Double click internet Protocol V4
Click advanced
Untick the box that says "Use default gateway on remote network"
Re-connect VPN.

|tera|

Master of Messengers

Click the networking tab
Click advanced
Re-connect VPN.
That's step for step, I left some room for reading and doing it, just doing it, Sexy The Guy ;) :D :p

FibreOptic

Click the networking tab
Click advanced
Re-connect VPN.
Are these steps dependent on me adding any specific type or settings to the wan connection when I add the extra wan connection with my Telkom username and password?

FibreOptic

I made the dangerous assumption that this problem could be solved purely by logging into the router and changing some settings, but according to the IT GODS, this is not the case.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Are these steps dependent on me adding any specific type or settings to the wan connection when I add the extra wan connection with my Telkom username and password?
Nope, has nothing to do with your internet connection.
I made the dangerous assumption that this problem could be solved purely by logging into the router and changing some settings, but according to the IT GODS, this is not the case.
Yep, you messed up somewhere.

Router settings should be set, PPPoE LLC connection and saved on the Router (unless you have a bridged connection, dial up DSL). If not, then all that needs to be done is the settings need to be set on the VPN dial up connection properties as explained above.

FibreOptic

Nope, has nothing to do with your internet connection.

Yep, you messed up somewhere.

Router settings should be set, PPPoE LLC connection and saved on the Router (unless you have a bridged connection, dial up DSL). If not, then all that needs to be done is the settings need to be set on the VPN dial up connection properties as explained above.
I think I am being misunderstood.

My telkom ISP settings are not on the router yet because I got the router from the company to work from home. So the router was setup and configured by the work IT, the Internet is also restricted according to the corporate internet policy.

If I reset this work router and put my Telkom ISP details in, it works fine and I have full Internet access so I think the problem is caused by the config settings.

|tera|

Master of Messengers

My telkom ISP settings are not on the router yet because I got the router from the company to work from home. So the router was setup and configured by the work IT, the Internet is also restricted according to the corporate internet policy.

If I reset this work router and put my Telkom ISP details in, it works fine and I have full Internet access so I think the problem is caused by the config settings.
Ok, I understand.

Well then yes, the ISP details of your work might be restricted, so there isn't anything more you can do than to switch accounts and settings. If you are going to VPN to work and connect through the Router, you could create a dial up VPN connection and test if you can connect through your Telkom details to work. If not, you would have to switch settings on the router itself.

TheGuy

Expert Member

What router is it?