Plex launches new desktop app, exits the Windows Store and kills HTPC support

dualmeister

Honorary Master
So Plex will stop updating their TV app in Jan 2020 :crying:

Plex began its life more than a decade ago as media center software for folks that wanted to plug their PC or Mac into a TV.

Since then, Plex has evolved into tool that you can use to organize and play your personal media or online video whether you’re using a computer, smartphone, tablet, game console, or media streamer (like a Roku or an Apple TV).

One thing you won’t be able to do much longer? Get a TV-friendly user interface. Plex is pulling the plug on its HTPC features.

It’s a phased rollout — Plex says it’ll continue to support the Plex Media Player with HTC support until January 30, 2020. After that time it’ll no longer receive updates, but it might continue to work for a while.

Meanwhile Plex is urging folks who want to run Plex on a computer to download the new Plex desktop app for Windows or Mac, which will be continuously updated.

For now the new app looks a lot like the old Plex Media Player… with a few small differences. First, there’s no HTPC user interface. And second the “sync” feature has been replaced by “downloads,” making it easier to show that you can download content from a Plex server with a single click for watching offline.

Note that while Plex is free, some features require a Plex Pass subscription, and the ability to download is one of those features.

Overall Plex is trying to paint the end of HTPC support as a good thing, since it’ll allow the company to focus on supporting desktop, mobile, and streaming apps moving forward.

More

So, in a nutshell: brand new desktop app that includes offline capability! End to the confusion around the Windows App Store app (). (Gradual) end to the TV layout in PMP. And a gentle reintroduction to the word “whither.” Seriously though, take the next six months to pick up a connected device that fits your needs, wallet, and ecosystem of your choice.

Plex Blog

Last edited:

Hemps

Executive Member
So basically this is for people who have their HTPC connected directly to their TV's?

lotus123

I've been using the new web client. Nice UI, but really struggling to get it to work properly.

On Firefox the playback is very jerky, and on Chrome there are massive audio sync delays.

I'm using a "headless" laptop (Win 7) as a Plex server behind the TV, and the Web client runs on it too (connected to the TV with HDMI).

Until now I've been using OpenPHT (I don't think it's being supported or improved anymore), and that's also not working properly (recently lost the ability to resume viewing videos where last stopped).

Hopefully the web client issues get resolved because it's a great product.

killerbyte

Expert Member
I've been using the new web client. Nice UI, but really struggling to get it to work properly.

On Firefox the playback is very jerky, and on Chrome there are massive audio sync delays.

I'm using a "headless" laptop (Win 7) as a Plex server behind the TV, and the Web client runs on it too (connected to the TV with HDMI).

Until now I've been using OpenPHT (I don't think it's being supported or improved anymore), and that's also not working properly (recently lost the ability to resume viewing videos where last stopped).

Hopefully the web client issues get resolved because it's a great product.
I found that you have to play with the DirectPlay and DirectStream features on your webclient.

I ditched the Windows app a while ago in favour of the Webclient because it gave me less issues and was more responsive.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
The Plex app on my TV is the most used one (besides Netflix).

So new TV's from next year will have to dump the Plex app, as well as Roku ect

Seems I will have to get another Android TV box again. Really inconvenient :rolleyes:

CT_Biker

Expert Member
So back to Kodi and Plex server?

For someone who works in tech, I am embarrassed that I do not know much about this.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
I've been on a no updates, stable, community supported version of Plex Home Theatre for years.

Never really made the Plex Media Player migration, live news and Tidal hasn't been enough to motivate that move.

It's a pity they are doing this. I guess the idea is just to use the app for your smart TV going forward?

The PHT 'On Deck' and good remote control integration has been a staple on my Mac Mini home theatre for over a decade.

I'll cancel my Plex Pass subscription in Jan. Been a subscriber since around 2004 IIRC.

Soul Assassin

Executive Member

Seems I will have to get another Android TV box again. Really inconvenient :rolleyes:
What do you mean?

deesef

I've been on a no updates, stable, community supported version of Plex Home Theatre for years.

Never really made the Plex Media Player migration, live news and Tidal hasn't been enough to motivate that move.

It's a pity they are doing this. I guess the idea is just to use the app for your smart TV going forward?

The PHT 'On Deck' and good remote control integration has been a staple on my Mac Mini home theatre for over a decade.

I'll cancel my Plex Pass subscription in Jan. Been a subscriber since around 2004 IIRC.
Will you please share detail on the version you are using

Azg

Expert Member
I am a bit confused as to what impact this will have, so I will continue using Plex as I have been using it until it stops working.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
am a bit confused as to what impact this will have, so I will continue using Plex as I have been using it until it stops working.
I installed the new Windows Player and it worked once and then would not open the second time. Just hangs. Same thing after re-installing.

Had already removed the one from the Microsoft Store so could not use that one. Since Microsoft have removed it I could not easily re-install. Had to go into account settings and "owned by you" to find the install again.

But, that does not start either.

So do not fiddle with your Plex while it is still working :unsure:

Azg

Expert Member

Just updated mine.

Not much of a change. Plex server and Plex apps (ATV, Tony, TV, Android TV) no change. It's only the Windows web app that's been replaced by a new app that's not user/TV friendly. I suppose you would only use it infrequently to make changes to your Plex settings.
(Exactly as stated in the press announcement).

Neoprod

Honorary Master
None of my client devices need to be transcoded for anymore (they're all powerful enough to manage high bitrate HEVC) so I stopped using Plex awhile ago. The transcoding for ye ancient tablet and TV was the only reason I was using it.

Azg

Expert Member
None of my client devices need to be transcoded for anymore (they're all powerful enough to manage high bitrate HEVC) so I stopped using Plex awhile ago. The transcoding for ye ancient tablet and TV was the only reason I was using it.
What do you use instead? My reason for using Plex is that the rest of the family like the Plex presentation and ease of use (when watching downloaded content).