Plex launches new desktop app, exits the Windows Store and kills HTPC support

Neoprod

Honorary Master
What do you use instead? My reason for using Plex is that the rest of the family like the Plex presentation and ease of use (when watching downloaded content).
Kodi...because it's free :) Android version on the Nvidia Shield and Windows version on the HTPC.

Will be taking a look at this Jellyfin people have mentioned in this thread.

bratwurst

Expert Member
Did Plex ever stop sharing user library info?
Also, they've been compromised what 2 or 3 times already?

Emby FTW. No need to pay for premium features.

bratwurst

Expert Member
Not sure what you're referring to, users can still choose to share their libraries with other users.
Not talking about sharing your library with friends and family. Plex apparently collected users data, but I see they removed it again.

Azg

Expert Member
Is that bit from the Emby website inaccurate?
That refers to the laptop / PC Emby app. You can still use the web app for free. For the Android/Fire TV app you pay a once off payment (less than $5) for full playback, or you can subscribe to Premiere.

The rest of the Emby apps give you full playback for free.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
So Plex will stop updating their TV app in Jan 2020 :crying:
Quite the contrary.

They are focusing more on their TV apps and dropping other legacy stuff.

Why anyone would still want to plug a PC directly into a TV in 2019 is entirely beyond me and clearly what Plex is getting at.

You run the Plex Media Server somewhere out of sight and you use the apps on a client device to access it elsewhere.

Every modern TV has Plex on it and failing that ever media player device supports it for older stuff.

There is no reason at all to plug a PC into your TV and to support that legacy logic.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
The Plex app on my TV is the most used one (besides Netflix).

So new TV's from next year will have to dump the Plex app, as well as Roku ect

Seems I will have to get another Android TV box again. Really inconvenient :rolleyes:
What crack are you smoking?

The Plex TV apps are going nowhere.

How on earth did you come to that conclusion reading the link you posted yourself.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I'll cancel my Plex Pass subscription in Jan. Been a subscriber since around 2004 IIRC.
What an incredible waste of money.

Surely by 2005 you should have figured out a lifetime subscription is the way to go.

Jopie Fourie

Expert Member
I have my PC linked directly to my TV with around 55TB of series and a few hundred movies. Plex server is installed on the PC and I never access it. In fact, can't even open it. Using Plex's desktop App to access the server and add new content.

As for the rest of the household, everyone has Plex mobile apps on their devices and accessing the server in that way.

Unfortunately, you need a Plex pass if you want more than 1 home user connected and watch content without restrictions.

I am gladly paying the $40 annual fee for this.