Poachers kill last female rhino in Krugersdorp Reserve.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://current.com/news/92552401_po...ino-in-south-african-park-for-prized-horn.htm
http://current.com/1acv84c

Record levels of poaching are endangering survival of rhinoceros in South Africa

South African wildlife experts are calling for urgent action against poachers after the last female rhinoceros in a popular game reserve near Johannesburg bled to death after having its horn hacked off.

Wildlife officials say poaching for the prized horns has now reached an all-time high. "Last year, 129 rhinos were killed for their horns in South Africa. This year, we have already had 136 deaths," said Japie Mostert, chief game ranger at the 1,500-hectare Krugersdorp game reserve.

The gang used tranquilliser guns and a helicopter to bring down the nine-year-old rhino cow. Her distraught calf was moved to a nearby estate where it was introduced to two other orphaned white rhinos.

Wanda Mkutshulwa, a spokeswoman for South African National Parks, said investigations into the growing number of incidents had been shifted to the country's organised crime unit. "We are dealing with very focused criminals. Police need to help game reserves because they are not at all equipped to handle crime on such an organised level,'' she said.

Rhino horn consists of compressed keratin fibre – similar to hair – and in many Asian cultures it is a fundamental ingredient in traditional medicines.

Mkutshulwa said poaching was also rife in the Kruger Park. Five men were arrested there in the past week alone – four of whom were caught with two bloodied rhino horns, AK-47 assault rifles, bolt-action rifles and an axe.

Krugersdorp game reserve attracts at least 200,000 visitors every year. It is also close to a private airport, which may have been used by the poachers.

"The exercise takes them very little time," Mostert said. "They first fly over the park in the late afternoon to locate where the rhino is grazing. Then they return at night and dart the animal from the air. The tranquilliser takes less than seven minutes to act.

"They saw off the horns with a chainsaw. They do not even need to switch off the rotors of the helicopter. We do not hear anything because our houses are too far away. The animal dies either from an overdose of tranquilliser or bleeds to death."

The committee of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (Cites) warned last year that rhino poaching had reached an all-time high. The Cites conference in Geneva in July 2009 heard that Asia's economic expansion had fuelled the market in rhino horns. The horns are also used in the Middle East to make handles for ornamental daggers. Cites said demand for them had begun to soar in recent years. In the five years up to 2005, an average of only 36 rhinos had been killed each year.

Conservationists estimate that there are only 18,000 black and white rhinos in Africa, down from 65,000 in the 1970s. Mostert, who has been a ranger for 20 years, said the animals fetch up to 1m rand (£85,000) at game auctions and cannot be insured.

Cites has praised South Africa for its action against poachers. Two weeks ago, a Vietnamese man was jailed for 10 years for trying to smuggle horns out of the country.

Just one more thing that the stupid ANC government is screwing up in our country through apathy, inaction and laziness.

marine1

Honorary Master
This makes me so angry I hope those pricks die a slow death. Hunting pisses me off in general but this just .....................
:mad:

marine1

Honorary Master
Humans are sick, why I have more time for animals then people.

Mila

Honorary Master
:mad: catch them and remove their horns and let them suffer until they die of rot :mad:

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Oh no....this is so very sad.! I have seen pics of dead rhino years ago whos horns were not cut off...but "uit geslag!" It was horrid! Enough to bring you to tears I tell you. It is stories like this that really makes me hate countries like China and Vietnam. Even though it might not be actually Asians doing the deed, it is they who create the market! bleh on you Vietnam! BLEH ON YOU!

johndoe1983

this irritates me so much.. not much we can do about it.. besides for catch the f#$%^s, jail em... and knowing SA.. they'll probably get R1000 bail and they'll be off poaching by the weekend again..

grrrrrrrrr

LancelotSA

Banned
Just one more thing that the stupid ANC government is screwing up in our country through apathy, inaction and laziness.

May I ask why you need to taint every story with your political propaganda?

Poaching has been rife for years. Further to this it should be clear from the slightest bit of research that these poachers are highly skilled and trained individuals. It is not like they are walking past the police, waving at them and then killing the rhinos. I would think that reading the article posted would have made you realise this. It is a huge problem but it has little to do with "apathy, inaction and laziness". :rolleyes:

Interesting to note :

Cites has praised South Africa for its action against poachers.

Share the stories but leave your totally unrelated propaganda out of it unless you can substantiate what you are saying!

LancelotSA

Banned
and knowing SA.. they'll probably get R1000 bail and they'll be off poaching by the weekend again..

...another who can't read :

Cites has praised South Africa for its action against poachers. Two weeks ago, a Vietnamese man was jailed for 10 years for trying to smuggle horns out of the country.

marine1

Honorary Master
Sorry but this is the fault of our politicians, why did they get rid of the endangered species unit?
Why dont they deploy our aids infested army there? they are doing nothing anyway.

This is a disgrace and they had warning this would happen. Was all over the news recently.
Bloody sick and yes this is the fault of our gvt

Freshy-ZN

Executive Member
Lancelot, perhaps you also cant read or should I say are very selective?

Wildlife officials say poaching for the prized horns has now reached an all-time high. "Last year, 129 rhinos were killed for their horns in South Africa. This year, we have already had 136 deaths,"

marine1

Honorary Master
Heaven forbid we actually try and hold this useless gvt responsible for anything :mad:

LancelotSA

Banned
Lancelot, perhaps you also cant read or should I say are very selective?

I am fully capable of reading. May I ask why an increase is automatically attributed to the "apathy, inaction and laziness" of the government? If the number of road deaths increases in an year is that automatically as a result of the "apathy, inaction and laziness" of the government too? And correct me if I am wrong but has the current government not been in power since 1995? So why is the increase this year being attributed directly to them? If you have an organised gang that all of a sudden starts targeting rhinos with helicopters it is clear the numbers will increase until that gang is stopped. The same with ATM bombings. Nail the gang and all of a sudden it stops.

Many of the killings have occurred on private reserves too....

It is appalling but it pisses me off when people use something like this just to score some quick political points. And remember, I do not vote ANC!

LancelotSA

Banned
Heaven forbid we actually try and hold this useless gvt responsible for anything :mad:

Substantiate your accusations.

Someone said earlier that this country would merely slap R1000 bail and release the person. A quick online check reveals a number of poachers shot and killed. Reading the article shows a man being jailed for 10 years. As I said, unsubstantiated drivel.....

Side note : When does that visa of yours come through? Could well be the best thing to happen to SA.... now we just need a few thousand more with the same mentality to follow that route and we can grow this country....

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender

We should not only hold our government responsible...but also the governments of China and Vietnam. Why are they allowing their people to still hold on to such stupid beliefs! But then again, the African governments are so far up the Chinese governments @ss only their pinky toe is sticking out!

A little off topic...but did you guys hear about the zim people accusing the Chinese people thats helping with the mobile network expansion there of eating their dogs? The Chinese workers are apparently stealing dogs, hanging them up on treas, beat them to death and then eat them? The Zim animal protection unit was notified and they found evidence to substantiate the claims. It was on 702, but never heard any updates on it or anything.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
May I ask why you need to taint every story with your political propaganda?

Because somebody has to counter all the crap coming from the MyBB "ANC happy happy good luck love brigade"! :D

Congratulations on your promotion by the way. :p

FACT: The Rhino poaching has increased dramatically in the last three months. Hundreds have been slaughtered. The ANC fat cats do not appear to be giving a wet fart to do anything about it.... as usual.... They are too busy stuffing their pockets with tax payers money.

Ronjay

Expert Member
It is the governments fault. They decided that the most effective anti-poaching unit in the country has to be shut down. Notice the pattern? Every time there is an effective department of anything, the ANC gets rid of them.

marine1

Honorary Master
It is the governments fault. They decided that the most effective anti-poaching unit in the country has to be shut down. Notice the pattern? Every time there is an effective department of anything, the ANC gets rid of them.
couldnt have put it better if I tried, the ESU was awesome, effective and made a difference.....ANC shut it down

Jola

Honorary Master
Every time there is an effective department of anything, the ANC gets rid of them.

Yes, but these departments interfere with the smooth operation of the Gravy Train - so shutting them down is quite logical :twisted: :sick: