POCO smartphones – Now available on Takealot

eg2505

Honorary Master
So is a Galaxy Note 10. Get that rather.
have a S9 at the moment, pity about the cracked screen costing more than the entire phone, :mad:
but that's not my point, if we got Pixels in SA we could get ROMS with no Google spyware,
like Potato OS or Sailfish OS or others out there.

and even if you stay on a pixel stock, and do nothing, it get updates forever , so much to like about that.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
and even if you stay on a pixel stock, and do nothing, it get updates forever , so much to like about that.
Meh. My note 8 still gets updates.

Looking at the internet, I am pretty sure my Oppo will get updates for ever too.

lambch0p

One can always import a pixel.. :rolleyes:

I feel we do have decent choices in Android phones. And this POCO news, is as mentioned; great :thumbsup:

I'm almost glad Pixel phones aren't available; after trying the embarrassing Pixel 4, and quickly returning it. Ended up with a Xiaomi which could do much more, for less than a third of the price of the Pixel. It seems Google are behind the competition, and are still refining their phone design/spec/manufacturing skills IMO.

We have phones from the top market leaders available. Some who sell more phones in one hour, than Google might sell in a month or more. I'll stick with the tried and true (not to mention affordable), but not to say I wouldn't keep an eye out on Googles developments over time.. like their own Silicon being expected on the next gen Pixel for example.

Anyway, just my 2c personal opinion. To each their own :)

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
What I find frustrating is that we hardly ever get the NFC version of phones here.

I bought a Redmi 9 because my quick Google showed that it was NFC capable, when I got the phone I checked in the settings only to find that the phone lacks the physical hardware.

When I Googled again, I realised there were three versions of the phone and we got the only version that doesn't have NFC. All three handsets share the same barcode - which is what I used as my search criteria because I thought the barcode would seperate the different version.

The few handsets that do offer NFC are way out of budget for what I'd like to spend! I'd rather take out my bank card and tap!

Speedster

Honorary Master
This is really great news but, as I posted in another thread, the large range of Xiaomi phones has me baffled. What differentiates the Pocos from the other Xiaomi ranges?

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
This is really great news but, as I posted in another thread, the large range of Xiaomi phones has me baffled. What differentiates the Pocos from the other Xiaomi ranges?
Same here. Like I posted earlier, the M3 and Note 9T are almost identical, sans one extra camera on the 9T.

Both were manufactured when POCO was still a subsidiary of Xiaomi (POCO went solo earlier this year).

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
10 pro has better screen and cam and I'm sure NFC on MIA stock has been confirmed.

TA Specs suspect about RAM, says 6 then later 8???
Not sure where you spotted that,but can confirm the RAM scales with the price and storage model,128+6,256+8

Xiaomi have separate brands aimed at different markets and market segments
Xiaomi - Parent group,most of their smart and other home products sit in this brand
Mi - Premium
Poco - Performance oriented with a mix of stuff (lol yes PO) also tends to have more extras over Redmi
Redmi - Budget conscious

There's some overlap on specs,so don't fuss the names too much,just check the hardware
I'm using a X3 Pro and a M3 currently and they are fantastic upgrades for the non-flagshippers

Last edited:

Quintrix

Expert Member
Not sure where you spotted that,but can confirm the RAM scales with the storage model,128+6,256+8

Takeolot R5399
Product info =8GB
Description Quick spec = 6GB
Description Tech Spec = 8GB
Description What's in the box = 8GB

I suppose it's 8GB

Last edited:

FlashSA

Executive Member
Mmmm.... Been looking at the Redmi Note 10 Pro for a while now.

But the POCO X3 Pro @ R5399 looks like a better deal now. Double the storage. Seems like better processor and GPU.

But what is a hybrid dual SIM?
Note 10 Pro AMOLED screen trumps the Poco's better cpu and storage in my books

P924

Expert Member
The Poco M3 is the same thing as the Redmi 9T (if you ignore slight difference in the back shell) - I did not think they would end up in the same region.

ronz91

Expert Member
What I find frustrating is that we hardly ever get the NFC version of phones here.

I bought a Redmi 9 because my quick Google showed that it was NFC capable, when I got the phone I checked in the settings only to find that the phone lacks the physical hardware.

When I Googled again, I realised there were three versions of the phone and we got the only version that doesn't have NFC. All three handsets share the same barcode - which is what I used as my search criteria because I thought the barcode would seperate the different version.

The few handsets that do offer NFC are way out of budget for what I'd like to spend! I'd rather take out my bank card and tap!
yeah using my phone for payment is so convenient at times.

they normally send the non-NFC phones here as they are cheaper.

ronz91

Expert Member
in SA, were not getting Pixel phones, and those are direct from Google themselves,
you can import one, but thats not the point, we pretty much get the Samsung, Huawei and Xoemeis and thats about it,

what about other big brands? too much bother to set up a distribution hub in SA?
tbf Google is actually launching Pixel 6 in fewer markets than the Pixel 5, so its not just SA or Africa

ronz91

Expert Member
One can always import a pixel.. :rolleyes:

I feel we do have decent choices in Android phones. And this POCO news, is as mentioned; great :thumbsup:

I'm almost glad Pixel phones aren't available; after trying the embarrassing Pixel 4, and quickly returning it. Ended up with a Xiaomi which could do much more, for less than a third of the price of the Pixel. It seems Google are behind the competition, and are still refining their phone design/spec/manufacturing skills IMO.

We have phones from the top market leaders available. Some who sell more phones in one hour, than Google might sell in a month or more. I'll stick with the tried and true (not to mention affordable), but not to say I wouldn't keep an eye out on Googles developments over time.. like their own Silicon being expected on the next gen Pixel for example.

Anyway, just my 2c personal opinion. To each their own :)
keep in mind the new Pixel 6 is rumoured to have 5 OS updates due to the Google designed SoC

Number Six

The Poco M3 is the same thing as the Redmi 9T (if you ignore slight difference in the back shell) - I did not think they would end up in the same region.
Apart from the extra camera on the 9T.