POCO smartphones – Now available on Takealot

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
Their updates seem to screw up the boot process for at least the vocal few, rendering the phones non-functional.
Think that's with just about any manufacturer tbh

Anecdotally: Between the X3 and the M3 i've had 1 update/2 months per phone. No breaks yet

kolaval

Executive Member
Who does the support?
I burnt myself with the Hisense E50 ( can't remember the model exactly).
It lasted 3 months and then would not turn on anymore. Sent away and after waiting 5 weeks the answer is "water damage".

cavedog

Honorary Master
Then how can Vodacom's and MTN's work?

Rain is blocking it intentionally on phones as it meant to be used in a router.

MTN and Vodacom does not limit it to a certain device or sim like Rain.

There is also a difference in network config where Rain runs SA and MTN and Vodacom runs NSA.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Rain is blocking it intentionally on phones as it meant to be used in a router.

MTN and Vodacom does not limit it to a certain device or sim like Rain.

There is also a difference in network config where Rain runs SA and MTN and Vodacom runs NSA.
Aren't they also blocking profit? Or their 5G would deteriorate like 4G?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Aren't they also blocking profit? Or their 5G would deteriorate like 4G?

Well that is a question for them to answer. I think maybe they are managing traffic because they know it will be difficult for them to estimate usage if people move around a lot.

I think a 5G sim plan for phones will be a nice touch from them especially if clients have a dual sim phone. They have 4G for phones at R299 per month they might as well just expand that to include 5G for phones.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Well that is a question for them to answer. I think maybe they are managing traffic because they know it will be difficult for them to estimate usage if people move around a lot.

I think a 5G sim plan for phones will be a nice touch from them especially if clients have a dual sim phone. They have 4G for phones at R299 per month they might as well just expand that to include 5G for phones.
Manage uncapped? So it will indeed deteriorate.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Manage uncapped? So it will indeed deteriorate.

Yeah I would imagine it would. Rain doesn't have unlimited spectrum for 5G that is why you don't see 1Gbps speedtests on Rain. They don't have the spectrum for those speeds. If you look at T-Mobile in the US people getting 3.8Gbps download speed on SA 5G because their version of ICASA actually works.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Are you saying you can load your bank cards into an app other than Samsung pay, apple pay etc?
I indeed do, cards app works nicely for me,
on a rooted s9, with the NFC tap thing...