Polarized shades with glass lenses

berghie

Eyes are super-sensitive and I need shades to help with bright light here in CT.
It's annoying as my eyes get irritated and infected if I'm hiking on the mountain for 2+ hours or driving anywhere with morning or afternoon glare in my eyes.

I had Polaroid aviators before and they were a pleasure to wear.
They were only R450 back in 2003 at a Sunglasshut, but I can't find them anymore :(
Optometrists have Polaroid branded display racks but they don't stock the glasses anymore.
Takealot sell a small range of Polaroid shades, but the aviator ones should rather have been branded "junior" as they are so small.

Anyone know where I can get proper old school polarized glass shades? If possible, I want to avoid paying R3k for a fashion label.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
Eyes are super-sensitive and I need shades to help with bright light here in CT.
It's annoying as my eyes get irritated and infected if I'm hiking on the mountain for 2+ hours or driving anywhere with morning or afternoon glare in my eyes.

They were only R450 back in 2003 at a Sunglasshut, but I can't find them anymore :(
Optometrists have Polaroid branded display racks but they don't stock the glasses anymore.
Takealot sell a small range of Polaroid shades, but the aviator ones should rather have been branded "junior" as they are so small.

Anyone know where I can get proper old school polarized glass shades? If possible, I want to avoid paying R3k for a fashion label.
Dischem has them for R699 :)
I bought a pair a few months ago and it was discounted to R399.
It definitely kicks the suns ass!

Beachless

Executive Member

Have you tried rayban ? They should have what you are looking for.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Ray ban polarised FTW. The only sunglasses I've worn for the last 20 years.
Contact lenses + lasik = lots of light sensitivity.

TehStranger

Executive Member
Ray ban polarised FTW. The only sunglasses I've worn for the last 20 years.
Contact lenses + lasik = lots of light sensitivity.
+1 on polarised Ray Bans worn with contacts. Picked up my pair on special for R699 a few years back, can't believe how well they've lasted with near-daily use.

FWIW I also use them on Berg hiking trips.

berghie

Dischem has them for R699 :)
I bought a pair a few months ago and it was discounted to R399.
It definitely kicks the suns ass!
Which Dis-Chem did you go to? A quick google revealed that Dis-Chem operate a Vision Works optometrist division at the Dis-Chems I never visit (Tokai & Table View), but they don't stock Polaroids anymore. Quick phone call confirmed this. INVU replaces the Polaroid stock (according to INVU website, they are ex-Polaroid management who left after Safilo bought out Polaroid Eyewear in Nov'11 - mind you, Safilo kept the Polaroid brand alive, but didn't keep supporting outside of US & UK).
According to the branch I phoned their supplier collected all old Polaroid branded merchandise back in January.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
Which Dis-Chem did you go to? A quick google revealed that Dis-Chem operate a Vision Works optometrist division at the Dis-Chems I never visit (Tokai & Table View), but they don't stock Polaroids anymore. Quick phone call confirmed this. INVU replaces the Polaroid stock (according to INVU website, they are ex-Polaroid management who left after Safilo bought out Polaroid Eyewear in Nov'11 - mind you, Safilo kept the Polaroid brand alive, but didn't keep supporting outside of US & UK).
According to the branch I phoned their supplier collected all old Polaroid branded merchandise back in January.
I got mine from the Canal Walk branch.
I might also have exaggerated a bit when saying "a few months" :p might even have been back in Jan!

spiff

Expert Member

I use these for flying

http://www.velodrom.com/sortiment/

berghie

http://www.oceaneyewear.co.za/vmchk/polarized.html

http://www.oceaneyewear.co.za/polarized/budget-polarized.html

Go through their selection.

We have local shop here at the harbor and surf shops that sell those.
BondiBlue, etc.

All polarized and UV resistant.
Seen the Ocean shades around Cape Town.
Great selection of styles and prices (R250 - R650 per their website).
Will go past a surf shop first as I've been meaning to look at SUP boards anyways (at least before work commitments consumed my life for 2 months solid).

Have a great day all!

Electric

Honorary Master
Seen the Ocean shades around Cape Town.
Great selection of styles and prices (R250 - R650 per their website).
Will go past a surf shop first as I've been meaning to look at SUP boards anyways (at least before work commitments consumed my life for 2 months solid).

Have a great day all! ��
You'll be happy with those.
Cheap enough to buy over and over again, plus they work very well.