Pole installation (for pole dancing)

eehellfire

Honorary Master
This is a very SFW topic, despite the title :D

The SO does pole dancing and wants a pole for home.
I've done a bit of research, and it seems removable poles are quite common, and apparently safe. Basically the pole slides in upright between the floor and the ceiling and is then jacked up (internal jacking mechanism) to secure it.

I wanted to know if anyone has installed one of these - I have some questions...
  • How badly will this damage my rhino board ceiling?
  • How do you tell for sure that you've positioned the pole properly under a joist/truss?
  • Is it completely stable, even though the surface area of the pole base is greater than the surface area of the joist/truss against which it is secured?

Example of the pole in question can be found at XOXO Poles

Ridolfc

Expert Member
Can we rather have examples of your SO pole dancing? youtube videos will be accepted.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
I think you need to do some one site inspections and see how some of the strip clubs install theirs :D

SaoirseB

Expert Member
:D So you're getting a present for yourself and just using your wife you selfish man?

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
Got my GF one a few years back. Just measure accurately from floor to roof to the cm.
The pole has an internal jacking system so you screw it in one direction and it expands upwards slightly to secure the pole tightly between floor and ceiling.

NB: Make 100% sure the pole is between the floor and a support beam in the roof above the ceiling board.

eehellfire

Honorary Master
Got my GF one a few years back. Just measure accurately from floor to roof to the cm.
The pole has an internal jacking system so you screw it in one direction and it expands upwards slightly to secure the pole tightly between floor and ceiling.

NB: Make 100% sure the pole is between the floor and a support beam in the roof above the ceiling board.
And did it hold securely?
I just worry about the mechanics of it - there's some serious centripetal force when one is spinning round the pole

henry1103

• How badly will this damage my rhino board ceiling?
  • How do you tell for sure that you've positioned the pole properly under a joist/truss?
  • Is it completely stable, even though the surface area of the pole base is greater than the surface area of the joist/truss against which it is secured?
I've recently had one installed, pretty much had to crawl into the ceiling to make sure the pole's sitting right under the joist. All's pretty stable once fitted :)

eehellfire

Honorary Master
I've recently had one installed, pretty much had to crawl into the ceiling to make sure the pole's sitting right under the joist. All's pretty stable once fitted :)
How did you tell, even once in the ceiling (where you can no longer see the pole)?
Problem is that the room in which the pole will be situated doesn't have a crawl space...

The_MAC

Executive Member
And did it hold securely?
I just worry about the mechanics of it - there's some serious centripetal force when one is spinning round the pole
Is centripetal the same as centrifugal, or is that a different concept based on the force a stripper induces around a pole?

henry1103

How did you tell, even once in the ceiling (where you can no longer see the pole)?
Problem is that the room in which the pole will be situated doesn't have a crawl space...
I did the knocking from the support beam when I was inside the ceiling and had the SO mark down the location from the room.
Otherwise, you can try knocking the ceiling, if you hear a hollow sound then you're way off the support beam. Once it sounds more "solid" then you're under the beam.

eehellfire

Honorary Master
henry1103;15027128[B said:
]I did the knocking from the support beam[/B] when I was inside the ceiling and had the SO mark down the location from the room.
Otherwise, you can try knocking the ceiling, if you hear a hollow sound then you're way off the support beam. Once it sounds more "solid" then you're under the beam.
The knocking from the support beam? What does that mean?

henry1103

The knocking from the support beam? What does that mean?
I pretty much used the back of a screwdriver and knocked on the support beam from inside the roof, the SO followed the sound and made a pencil mark on the ceiling.
I then came back down and double checked on the mark and was more or less where I thought the beam would be. I did check again by using the same screwdriver and lightly knocked on the mark and around the mark (about 5cm to the left and right), made sure that the mark had a solid sound and a more echoed hollow sound when was about 5cm away. Once confirmed I just installed the pole.

eehellfire

Honorary Master
I pretty much used the back of a screwdriver and knocked on the support beam from inside the roof, the SO followed the sound and made a pencil mark on the ceiling.
I then came back down and double checked on the mark and was more or less where I thought the beam would be. I did check again by using the same screwdriver and lightly knocked on the mark and around the mark (about 5cm to the left and right), made sure that the mark had a solid sound and a more echoed hollow sound when was about 5cm away. Once confirmed I just installed the pole.
Cool