Polestar upgrade - is it a performance upgrade to insurance?

neoprema

Executive Member
So i'm thinking of getting the Polestar upgrade/unlocked on my Volvo.

But I'm wondering if insurance considers this "any addition or modification to the engine for increased speed or performance"

The engine itself is not being touched, Polestar is simply a new menu option unlocked as far as i can see and when select - much like "Sport Mode" it will configure another 15-20KW on the engine and enable stiffer air suspension, more active cornering control etc.

Do I need to disclose this to the insurer? For me its no because the vehicle offers it from factory i'm not doing an 3rd-party addons - i just chose not to have it yet as you can bolt it on up to 1 year after buying the car.

Thoughts/comments?

eg2505

Honorary Master
to be safe, just say yes, its a performance mod, especially if it does do something however small to the engine.
insurance will find any tiny technicality to refuse your claim.

not sure if the premium will adjust to reflect this

Drifter

Honorary Master
After market, yes, it's a performance mod. If you bought the Polestar off showroom floor, no, it's not.

Neuk_

Executive Member
Another insurance related funny that I have never understood, the issue with performance modifications.

S.Claus

Expert Member
Term pay to play comes to mind. I would disclose it pay a few bucks extra and sleep easy knowing that if something does go wrong I am covered.

S.Claus

Expert Member
Another insurance related funny that I have never understood, the issue with performance modifications.
Probably because they associate it with racing or being more reckless. You owned a Golf R you know exactly what happens ;)

powermzii

Expert Member
So i'm thinking of getting the Polestar upgrade/unlocked on my Volvo.

But I'm wondering if insurance considers this "any addition or modification to the engine for increased speed or performance"

The engine itself is not being touched, Polestar is simply a new menu option unlocked as far as i can see and when select - much like "Sport Mode" it will configure another 15-20KW on the engine and enable stiffer air suspension, more active cornering control etc.

Do I need to disclose this to the insurer? For me its no because the vehicle offers it from factory i'm not doing an 3rd-party addons - i just chose not to have it yet as you can bolt it on up to 1 year after buying the car.

Thoughts/comments?
XC?

Quite a pricey option hey

Neuk_

Executive Member
Probably because they associate it with racing or being more reckless. You owned a Golf R you know exactly what happens ;)

My thought has always been that if you are more reckless because you have modified your car the insurance company will most likely find some reason to repudiate the claim excluding the fact that you have modified the car and not told them about it. Perhaps I am naïve since I am generally very responsible on the road and have never, ever had a vehicle repair claim repudiated, even in my Golf R where I had one accident because the driver in front of me took off and then unexpectedly stopped.

KingMikel

Expert Member
They might increase your excess. My excess is now R5k on my 2005 Fiesta because I put a bezorst on and Unichipped it.

But, as someone stated, it is standard equipment...

eg2505

Honorary Master
am I wrong to suggest that?
insurance is a business after all, if they go through a wrecked car with a fine toothed comb to find something to refuse your claim.
and they discover this, and you didn't say its a "performance" mod, then am I so Crazy?

again, if it makes no difference to the premium or the excess, why not just say it, cover all your bases?