Police crack down on cheap imported second-hand cars in South Africa

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
They knew what they were buying. I don't feel one bit sorry for them. At that price they had to know something was fishy.

Dups!

They knew what they were buying. I don't feel one bit sorry for them. At that price they had to know something was fishy.
I honestly believe some of them didn't know, sometimes a deal is not too good to be true for some people.

Craig

Honorary Master
I honestly believe some of them didn't know, sometimes a deal is not too good to be true for some people.
R60k for a 2017 Yaris in SA, even a toddler with brain damage would know something is off with that deal.

alloytoo

Honorary Master
Pleasure of living in a country without a motor Industry.

Reasonably priced second hand cars as well as models only available new in Japan.

Like these lovely people movers:E51.JPG

Dups!

R60k for a 2017 Yaris in SA, even a toddler with brain damage would know something is off with that deal.
Note who bought those cars. Chances are that they are women who are mostly not into cars.

Arthur

Honorary Master
That's partly because South Africans have for many decades become used to paying some of the world's highest prices for cars. This stems from the apartheid siege economy where, to "encourage" a local "manufacturing" industry, government policy resulted in car prices being raised by about a third. The high prices extracted by local assemblers are protected from competition by a combination of import barriers, tariffs and duties and tax breaks. It's a disgusting government-erected and state-protected cartel arrangement. Our current hegemons justify it in Labourist terms. And, as always, the consumer ends up paying the highest price.

(PS. I'm not tempted by these 'specials' and wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.)

Last edited:

Craig

Honorary Master
That's partly because South Africans have for many decades become used to paying some of the world's highest prices for cars. This stems from the apartheid siege economy where, to "encourage" a local "manufacturing" industry, government policy resulted in car prices being raised by about a third. The high prices extracted by local assemblers are protected from competition by a combination of import barriers, tariffs and duties and tax breaks. It's a disgusting government-erected and state-protected cartel arrangement. And, as always, consumer ends up paying the highest price.

(PS. I'm not tempted by these 'specials' and wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.)
Not denying that, I wouldn't mind paying next to nothing for a car, but really, this kind of deals cannot possibly be legal. That should be easy to see.

Daruk

Honorary Master
So they got their cars at that price and they were the real deal...

The issue is that they weren’t laden with import tax?

That’s going to “hurt” the government... this government who p*55ed away 100 billion to state capture.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Not denying that, I wouldn't mind paying next to nothing for a car, but really, this kind of deals cannot possibly be legal. That should be easy to see.
I disagree. The deal should be entirely legal. What cannot and must not happen is a fraudulent or false registration. That is an entirely separate matter.

There shouldn't be any law or tariff barrier that prevents a person from buying and owning any car from anywhere in the world. Registering and driving it legally on SA roads is (or should be) a matter of meeting objective and justifiable safety standards, determined by simple tests.

It's an outrage that the State is using the police to confiscate and destroy cars that in all other respects are perfectly ok.

Last edited:

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Chances are that they are women who are mostly not into cars.
You buying a car so, so do you just go to one place and accept the first price you see?
You look at all the other prices and then see one at half the price. And you don't think that there is something wrong?

Dups!

You buying a car so, so do you just go to one place and accept the first price you see?
You look at all the other prices and then see one at half the price. And you don't think that there is something wrong?
First time buyers, and again, mostly young women, do not have that knowledge and experience. I am just saying it is not inconceivable for some people to find themselves in that pitfall. The excitement of "my first car" takes over and usually all logic flies out the window.

Swa

Honorary Master
Honestly when buying a car the most important thing is to me is the price. I couldn't believe a R10k VW had skyrocketed to over R100k. So if I were to see one for R60k I wouldn't think anything of it. Sars are going for the soft targets here. I'm sure if these people started a class action lawsuit they would win as it's not their responsibility and Sars should go after the importers. Registration is an entirely separate matter and doesn't affect ownership status.

Quintrix

The SA police stated that hundreds of South African have fallen victim to the same fate (state), and that anyone who bought an illegal vehicle would have no legal recourse.

This just proves the farce the vehicle manufacturing industry in this country is . Apparently providing jobs but at what cost and who is paying for those jobs ?

The_Traveller

Expert Member
I used to sell second hand cars in Carletonville, and had a few unregistered vehicles from Lesotho as show cars.
The public used to demand to buy those cars even after explaining to them it cannot be registered.

So yeah, unethical and corrupt dealers going to take advantage ...

Hennie_Mouton

Absolute dictatorship to manipulate the market. If it was rip-off cloned cars there would be a safety/quality argument, but here it is just "If you don't line my ANC pockets, you can't have it.", in direct opposition of the world trade agreement signed by the same government that agrees to "no unreasonable barriers to world trade".