Police officers to get body cameras

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Police officers to get body cameras

Durban’s police force is getting a range of new technology enhancements to help it to fight crime, including state-of-the-art vehicles, body cameras, and tasers.

The eThekwini municipality unveiled its new state-of-the-art police vehicles at the annual Govtech conference in Durban on Tuesday 29 October.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I can imagine some police officer are now pissing themselves.

Sarg3_ZN

One massive tender coming up...
Nah, at least 5 massive tenders coming up one for the cars, the vehicle cameras, the body cameras the teasers and the WiFi.

Maybe even tenders for the cloud storage and for the state of the art monitoring/command centre.

Last edited:

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
It will not be long before 3/4 of the cameras and tasers are missing and the remainder broken beyond repair, and 96% of the cars in the garage awaiting funds to fix them. Nothing new.

Düber

In other threads people have been asking for this, for a long time. Now that something concrete is happening...

I think this is an excellent move and out of all those who might profit I hope the general public will the most.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
In other threads people have been asking for this, for a long time. Now that something concrete is happening...

I think this is an excellent move and out of all those who might profit I hope the general public will the most.
We need it badly, but we need a competent police force first. Not commissioned officers like the one I encountered awhile back who can neither read nor write. And has little or no understanding of what or why he is being paid a salary for, by the state.

Thor

Honorary Master
Step in the right direction - BUT this is probably just a money grab so not very excited or hopeful.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan

With the ANC hope is not worth much.

MEIOT

Expert Member
Wonder if this will extend to traffic officers. If so, there goes that 100 bucks get-out-of-any-situation option in JHB

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
Get a competent and committed police force first, then they will have value, otherwise you just throwing good money after bad money. A total waste.
This ^. Giving the current bunch of muppets fancy equipment is like putting fancy rims on a raggedy car. In the end, you still have a raggedy car.