Policing your Internet activity in South Africa

Wag

Expert Member
Like PW would have said, this comment is a step in the right direction comparing to his famous non-sustainable blunder

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
I agree with this! I can download a an episode of a TV series of the web which is legal. How would the ISP know if it is legal or not?
I can download music which is free. It will become a nightmare!

grok

Honorary Master
I gotta ask myself what is Rob Davies motive for pushing this agenda?

He's either just another useless minister which would explain his lack of understanding such a complex topic, or he's pushing for less privacy and the ability for ISP's (and ultimately government) to inspect people's online activites.

Either way Rob, go suck your hollywood cock elsewhere.

lexis

The reason why the entertainment industry is not funding full scale policing of content is because they know they will be the biggest losers in the end.

E.g. I pay for DSTV every month. I still download series from the net. Simply because I am not always able to watch it at the scheduled time and I don't have a PVR. By overpolicing the situation you can cause me to simply give up my DSTV, cut my internet spending to 2G surfing per month and spend a few bucks on an average of 8 DVD's per month. Or worse 4 DVD's that I swop with a neighbour.

It is a no win situation. If we change the business model on the other hand ..... who knows?

Last edited:

mcryan

Expert Member
Very well said Rupert. I wholly agree, content needs to be made more available and piracy will be less of an issue. Our regulations surrounding this are so backwards that anyone with mp3s in SA is essentially breaking the law.

Skydrops

Well Web Africa just won over a new customer, can't wait!

Rupert Bryant seems like some one with commonsense.

I don't like this idea that some one can monitor your data, what if you are busy with business deals/plans, internet banking and patents... then some rouge IT guy can snoop in and steal your intellectual property or money with out you even knowing.

I'll be moving over to WA with my 2mb Telkom line and Mweb uncapped, I'm saddened that I already paid Mweb for this month, more than I am supposed to as well, R380?! I have a R199 Mweb account, wanted to upgrade but I have been having hectic billing problems with Mweb. Mweb is ripping me off, charging way more than R199 per month, I opened a ticket and got no reply.:mad:

"Subject:***** has been created for you

Thank you for taking the time to contact us at billing@mweb.com. This is an automated reply.
We have received your email and it will be attended to."

Many of my friends have moved over to WA with ease, and said they have better stable consistent download' gaming and streaming speeds. Not that downloads matter that much to me but my gaming and streaming is very important for me. Mweb always gave me exceptional service, but I have been ignored for 6days, and to top it off I feel I am being penalised unfairly, with reconnect fees and extra cost. :crying::crying:

Sadly I have to wait till the end of the month to move my line to WA, I tried to do it this month but then they wanted me to pay for the 2mb uncapped account in order to have the line with them.

I'll have to wait in agony till the end of the month to reach 2mb speeds :(

I'll have a 2mb line and uncapped account for R599 with WA, much cheaper than I currently pay for Mweb pm, due to being over billed.

Can any one vouch for WA's customer support and billing system? Only reason I stayed with the more expensive Mweb was for the customer support, I believed to be good.

Valis

Expert Member
Can any one vouch for WA's customer support and billing system? Only reason I stayed with the more expensive Mweb was for the customer support, I believed to be good.
They're great! Have never had a problem :)

lexis

I am on Afrihost 2mb uncapped bundle - R497 all inclusive. As long as you don't want to torrent between 8h00 and 17h00 every thing is honkey dorey. Which is reasonable. Customer service during the week is superb!

Skydrops

I am on Afrihost 2mb uncapped bundle - R497 all inclusive. As long as you don't want to torrent between 8h00 and 17h00 every thing is honkey dorey. Which is reasonable. Customer service during the week is superb!
Same with Mweb, but wow even cheaper!

hmm...

How is the the latency, for gaming, currently Guild Wars 2 if you play it by any chance?

Briliant! Wow, just checked out their site... they have grown! :erm:

Last edited:

MFour

Expert Member
Good to see this thread is staying on topic :D

Good response from WA. To me this sounds like a classic 'pass-the-buck' situation. An ISP is a private business entity, not a governmental law enforcement agency. Sound to me like a very slippery slope towards a situation similar to that in China, where the government basically controls internet access. Police state here we come, with the added bonus for the government, they won't pay for the policing, but the IPS will.

Browser

It is absurd expecting ISPs to take the cost of doing this especially in South Africa where their margins are thin thanks to the government letting Telkom abuse what is still a monopoly position.

This has been tried in many places and always failed when looking at the results, for example in France and it fell flat on its face with nothing to show for it other than ridiculous costs. Why should South Africa foot enormous bills with no benefit for itself for an foreign industry that was born on avoiding paying for patents and gives nothing to South Africa. It's hard to see any South African such as a minister saying this should happen without them getting some kind of personal advantage or incentive.

Also the very nature of piracy is to circumvent anti piracy measures, such a scheme is worse than braindead, it's counter productive to the entire country to do this for the benefit of wealthy studios.

Also such mechanisms are always abused to hinder competing content or in this case used against accessing competing content, studios could simply claim the content is theirs having our consumers punished for accessing it in the hopes they will avoid accessing and exposure to more of it.

All this failure and waste only to invade peoples privacy.

South Africa, compared to some countries, has pretty sane laws for content piracy. Unlike certain places where a kid is fined hundreds of thousands of dollars for pirating 30 songs, basically ruining the rest of their life financially over a few audio tracks.

The last thing we need is that kind of "justice" where copying a few songs or a video gets harsher punishment than criminal offences which ruin or at least effect the victims lives.