Policy delays ‘threaten digital TV’

Turiko

Banned
The failure of the department to release the specifications for set-top boxes would be the single biggest constraint to the introduction of digital terrestrial television
So now this govt sees fit to withold specs of something they barely understand. Good god, what does this government think it is?

ThatOtherGuy

So now this govt sees fit to withold specs of something they barely understand. Good god, what does this government think it is?
The joke that this government is, continues. But as usual, we're not laughing.

Pilgrim

Wugger
Shope-Mafole drew a distinction between the availability of digital transmission and the readiness of broadcasters to make use of it.
There is the problem. It is easy to say you are capable of doing something.

Actually doing it is way more complicated. But you know how it works, if you say you can do something problem solved! :D

Turiko

Banned
But as usual, we're not laughing
Well neither am I, believe me. Since when does a *cough* government see it fit to tell people who are 1000x smarter than them, what the specs are for digital TV... I cannot get over this...

supercoza

How can anyone be surprised? Anything that has to with the government will fail, they are useless.

Gambit

Expert Member
when read stuff like this, all i can hear is the circus charlie music.

Kkkurupt

im am not suprised at all. this government is mbeki infested. . . i heard he is considering to go to Zimbabwe again. may be he will come across crisis this time:mad:

mibloem

???

"But Shope Mafole emphasised that set top boxes would not be required on switch-on day".

100% transmission, 0% viewers. The set-top boxes will propbably only be available 6 months before they turn off the analogue signals on 2012.....

Now the 1 November deadline has suddenly become the start of the pilot phase.

ernstn

Expert Member
Wait for it, here comes a request for a 300%increase in license fees!

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Lovely.

DILLIGAF.

At least Mr Video will still be available.

And we can stream stuff via youtube and the such.

Tns

Executive Member
which will be necessary to convert analogue signals to digital ones
isn't it the other way round for these boxes to convert digital signal to analog to connect to old tv's?

kaspaas

Expert Member
If I remember correctly, the big delay is because Guavament does not want a decoder only.

It has heard that digital TV could be a medium to get internet access to the masses, and somebody sold them the golden bullet of " e-governance" that could be included into the box.

The problem apparently is that guavament can't figure out when to stop the list of bells and whistles to be included.

What should have been a l.ow cost basic device, is becoming a monster device of unknown cost.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
If I remember correctly, the big delay is because Guavament does not want a decoder only.

It has heard that digital TV could be a medium to get internet access to the masses, and somebody sold them the golden bullet of " e-governance" that could be included into the box.

The problem apparently is that guavament can't figure out when to stop the list of bells and whistles to be included.

What should have been a l.ow cost basic device, is becoming a monster device of unknown cost.
Wa hahahahahaha!

Lovely! :D

Why not just start with a basic device and take things from there? :rolleyes: