Political adverts

Cius

Expert Member
So over the past two weeks on the radio I have been hearing more and more adds. The first one that stuck out was a fairly mundane one, completely in English, by the FF+, so they are definitely targeting the English speaking vote this year.

The more amusing one was on Jacaranda this morning I hear a very Afrikaans advert calling people to vote for a party that cares for all people including children, women, and foreigners (so clearly a dig at the ANC by the FF+ or DA right?), only at the end it turns out to be a fully Afrikaans ANC add. Mind boggled.

The billboards are of course up everywhere and for the most part are annoying. I seriously do not know of a single person who voted one way or another based on a billboard, so seriously not sure why they do it. The only thing I can think of is if you don't put them up people think you are in financial difficulty and hence abandon you as a poor, over the hill, party. For instance I have not seen a single COPE billboard in JHB yet. The only ones I have seen are ANC, DA, EFF, and UDM.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
So over the past two weeks on the radio I have been hearing more and more adds. The first one that stuck out was a fairly mundane one, completely in English, by the FF+, so they are definitely targeting the English speaking vote this year.

The more amusing one was on Jacaranda this morning I hear a very Afrikaans advert calling people to vote for a party that cares for all people including children, women, and foreigners (so clearly a dig at the ANC by the FF+ or DA right?), only at the end it turns out to be a fully Afrikaans ANC add. Mind boggled.

The billboards are of course up everywhere and for the most part are annoying. I seriously do not know of a single person who voted one way or another based on a billboard, so seriously not sure why they do it. The only thing I can think of is if you don't put them up people think you are in financial difficulty and hence abandon you as a poor, over the hill, party. For instance I have not seen a single COPE billboard in JHB yet. The only ones I have seen are ANC, DA, EFF, and UDM.
I think the more educated votes according the news etc. The uneducated ... mmmm perhaps they fall for the advertising....and lets face it, they are the vast majority.

Urist

Expert Member
Whenever I see these signs on the streetlights with big brother's face on it uglifying our streets, I think of Stalin posters in communist Russia Saddam posters in or Iraq. Brah Juju is definately the cult of personality type of who would do that.

R13...

Honorary Master
I think the more educated votes according the news etc. The uneducated ... mmmm perhaps they fall for the advertising....and lets face it, they are the vast majority.
Lack of formal education isn't an indication of intelligence or sense. Neither does formal education indicate the opposite.

thechamp

Honorary Master
COPE looks to be in trouble, I think they are broke or something, come to think of it when did they even launch their manifesto, Hlaudi and Manyi's party are getting better coverage than COPE.

RedViking

Nord of the South
The EFF poster looks cool, the red and the slogan, son of the soil. Doesn't say much but stands out above all the other posters double it's size.

The ACDP down here in the Western Cape is a weird one: "100 day plan"...err...well tell us at least PART of the plan. Very poor messaging.

Good spot @thechamp - haven't seen any COPE posters around southern suburbs Cape Town or Stellenbosch or Franschoek.