Political Correctness at Universities (US).

Grant

Honorary Master
i'm surprised there has been no attempt to remove the word "blackmail" from the english language yet

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1046977/university-lecturers-not-to-use-cap-letters-student-failure
Staff at Leeds Trinity's school of journalism have also been told to "write in a helpful, warm tone, avoiding officious language and negative instructions". Some blasted the move as "more academic mollycoddling" of the snowflake generation. An "enhancing student understanding, engagement and achievement" memo lists dos and don'ts - with "do" and "don't" among words frowned upon.

Course leaders say capitalising a word could emphasise "the difficulty or high-stakes nature of the task".
The memo says: "Despite our best attempts to explain assessment tasks, any lack of clarity can generate anxiety and even discourage students from attempting the assessment at all.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
They should just shut down the universities.

Universities are increasingly becoming day care centres anyway. You go to university, you are in a safe space with puppies and things, yet paradoxically you are also sometimes an adult who does adult things like drink alcohol and have sex. If you regret having sex, you can always lay a rape charge.

You don't learn anything new or challenging, because you already know everything, so you sit there at university for 3 years and graduate with a degree in gender studies. By gender studies, I mean why men are evil and trans is the future.

Then, you get to complain about why no one will hire you with your gender studies degree that you spent 3 years in your safe space obtaining.

Emjay

Executive Member
The American students that have more Conservative values will go out with their STEM degrees and absolutely dominate in the work place. The American workplace is cut throat. They work supremely hard, and are super competitive. These Universities are not preparing them for that at all imo.

Alan

Honorary Master
Rutgers reverses punishment for 'I now hate white people' prof

Rutgers University reversed its decision to sanction a professor who said "I now hate white people" in a June Facebook post.

The school's Office of Employment Equity originally found Rutgers history professor James Livingston guilty of violating Rutgers' discrimination and harassment policy, but went back on its decision in November, according to NorthJersey.com.

"OK, officially, I now hate white people," Livingston had posted on Twitter. "I am a white people [sic], for God's sake, but can we keep them -- us -- us out of my neighborhood?" The professor reported that a restaurant he visited for dinner was "overrun with little Caucasian assholes who know their parents will approve of anything they do."

"Slide around the floor, you little shithead, sing loudly, you unlikely moron," Livingston continued. "Do what you want, nobody here is gonna restrict your right to be white. I hereby resign from my race. **** these people. Yeah, I know it's about access to my dinner. **** you, too."

Emjay

Executive Member
Look at this statement now

"Slide around the floor, you little shithead, sing loudly, you unlikely moron," Livingston continued. "Do what you want, nobody here is gonna restrict your right to be black. I hereby resign from my race. **** these people. Yeah, I know it's about access to my dinner. **** you, too."
And those people are educating children. Shocking. White people are really white people's worst enemy.

Alan

Honorary Master
They always turn on their own...

NBCNimesh Patel, a comedian and writer for Saturday Night Live, was yanked from the stage in the midst of his routine at Columbia University on Friday after students decided his material was homophobic, racist, and making them feel unsafe. Columbia's Asian American Alliance (AAA) had invited Patel to perform during the group's annual charity event, "Cultureshock: Reclaim," a title that sounds a little too exciting and provocative, honestly, given the students' apparent need for maximum security and comfort.

AAA is run by students, which means it was their decision to pull Patel from the stage after he made jokes that they deemed racist and homophobic, according to The Columbia Daily Spectator. I emailed AAA to ask what exactly Patel said that was so offensive; the group sent me a statement that did not clarify matters.

The Spectator, though, lists one of the allegedly inappropriate jokes:

During the event, Patel's performance featured commentary on his experience living in a diverse area of New York City—including a joke about a gay, black man in his neighborhood—which AAA officials deemed inappropriate. Patel joked that being gay cannot be a choice because "no one looks in the mirror and thinks, 'this black thing is too easy, let me just add another thing to it.'"

The joke acknowledges that black people and gay people suffer oppression, and that a person who is both gay and black suffers "stacked" oppression. This joke seems almost perfectly "intersectional." Intersectionality, the operarting system of the modern left, requires everyone to recognize that different forms of oppression are interrelated, and that they stack. The problem for Patel, however, is that intersectionality also recognizes the oppressed as the sole experts on their own oppression. Thus Patel should not have commented on matters relating to black people or gay people, since he is neither gay nor black.

"if you're Black and gay, you don't need a straight South Asian guy to point out that your life is hard because you're Black and gay," wrote a student, Liberty Martin, in an op-ed. Martin accused Patel of "blatant anti-blackness," with reference to the above joke, specifically. Even though the joke reflects a sentiment that gay and black students want everyone to recognize as reality—that life as a gay, black student is hard—the fact that it was made by an Asian guy means it's actually evidence of anti-black bias. (It doesn't have to make sense, you just have to obey.)

Perhaps Patel went on to say actually insensitive things—why the easily offended would attend any comedy show, ever, is fodder for another discussion—but if this joke is representative of his set, the outrage looks that much more ridiculous.

Patel made it 30 minutes before organizers cut off the routine. According to The Spectator:

Patel pushed back on the officials' remarks, and said that while he stood in solidarity with Asian American identities, none of his remarks were offensive, and he was exposing the audience to ideas that would be found "in the real world." Before he could finish, Patel's microphone was cut from off-stage, and he proceeded to leave.

AAA released a statement on Facebook condemning Patel's remarks, which "ran counter to the inclusive spirit and integrity of CultureSHOCK." They apologized for inviting Patel, and for "the hurt his words caused members of the community."
https://reason.com/blog/2018/12/04/columbia-university-students-kick-snl-co

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I thought everybody knew not to have anything to do with modern universities?

If I ever by some miracle become famous enough to be invited to speak at universities, I will decline every single one without a reason. It is just too dangerous! I'll get a false rape accusation levelled at me for looking at someone the wrong way, or if I say 2 + 2 = 4 it will be deemed offensive to blue whales and I will be necklaced.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Compulsory Indoctrination: Boys Have Periods Too
Transgender rights activists are celebrating with cosmopolitans, dark chocolate, and passing around palette loads of Midol, because the U.K.’s Brighton and Hove city council has declared that boys also menstruate. The East Sussex city’s local government brain trust issued guidelines earlier this month, under the heading “Taking a Period Positive Approach in Brighton & Hove Schools” and will be compulsory inside the classrooms of all primary school children.

The council, which is far beyond the label of extreme and lunatic left, issued the statement: “Trans boys and men and non-binary people may have periods … and menstruation must be inclusive of all genders.”

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
The council needs to provide scientific evidence for their bullshyte or they should just tar and feather themselves for being retarded.