Polo Vivo vs Hyundai i20. Which should I get?

Bl1zz4rd

Hi all!

I am going to be purchasing a second hand car soon, and I have been comparing the Polo Vivo and the Hyundai i20.

Just wanted to hear your opinions as to which I should get and why. Please bear in mind that I will be getting an auto car, so this is a comparison between:

• 63 kW 1.4 VW Polo Vivo Trendline 6 speed auto
  • 74kW 1.4 Hyundai i20 (Fluid/GL) 4 speed auto

Things that are important to me:

• Smooth shifts
  • Decent real world fuel economy
  • Noise isolation
  • Decent service and parts costs
  • Good resale value

Assuming I find two with similar mileage, wear, and price, which do you think I should get, and why?

Also, should I be concerned about the 4sp auto vs the 6sp? 4sp seems old school. Although the economy seems very similar between the two, so I'm not sure how Hyundai did that.

Thanks in advance! :)

Riza.C

I have a polo vivo 1.4 trendline 5 speed manual.. it's more metal than the i20.. and you don't feel like it's going to fall apart when over taking a truck.. also I get 750 Kms to a full tank minimum

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The real irony here is that the relatively ancient Polo Vivo is rolling with 6-speed auto with the much more newer i20 rocking is a 4-speed jobbie.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
The real irony here is that the relatively ancient Polo Vivo is rolling with 6-speed auto with the much more newer i20 rocking is a 4-speed jobbie.
Yeah, nothing is perfect. Who knows, maybe the i20's 4 speed is more reliable?

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Yeah, nothing is perfect. Who knows, maybe the i20's 4 speed is more reliable?
Doubt it. We need to establish who manufactures the relevant gearboxes. The i20 auto is notorious for "hunting" between gears.

If we are just talking trannys here then the Vivo has the i20 licked.

Craig

Honorary Master
Doubt it. We need to establish who manufactures the relevant gearboxes. The i20 auto is notorious for "hunting" between gears.

If we are just talking trannys here then the Vivo has the i20 licked.
To be honest, as much as I like VW's car's, I wouldn't easily buy a vivo. The i20, even with the crappy gearbox, is most probably light years ahead in term of general quality inside, as well as NVH. The Vivo is loud inside once you reach highway speeds.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Agreed. I was referring to tranny alone.

NVH alone should be substantially better in the i20.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Go for I20, gearbox is pretty old and slow, but the polo vivo has components from the citi golf so it is even older.

If you travel long distances the I20 seats might not be so nice, I was killing myself driving it everyday :(

Shaun108

Executive Member
Neither. buy a decent second hand car that actually isn't a rolling death trap.

Bl1zz4rd

The Vivo is loud inside once you reach highway speeds.
NVH alone should be substantially better in the i20.
I need to test drive both to judge this. NVH is important to me. I have an old Nissan Almera now, and NVH is very poor. I’m surprised that it’s bad on the Vivo, considering it’s essentially a Polo MK4. I drove an MK5 Polo the other day and NVH was great. Was it poor on the old MK4 Polos too? Or is this a Vivo-specific thing?
Go for I20, gearbox is pretty old and slow, but the polo vivo has components from the citi golf so it is even older.

If you travel long distances the I20 seats might not be so nice, I was killing myself driving it everyday :(
Are the shifts smooth? My problem is less with 4 gears, and more with getting away from the almost violent shifts I have with my current 4 speed auto, which almost bounce me around when they happen.

Neither. buy a decent second hand car that actually isn't a rolling death trap.
Any recommendations?

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
I need to test drive both to judge this. NVH is important to me. I have an old Nissan Almera now, and NVH is very poor. I’m surprised that it’s bad on the Vivo, considering it’s essentially a Polo MK4. I drove an MK5 Polo the other day and NVH was great. Was it poor on the old MK4 Polos too? Or is this a Vivo-specific thing?

Are the shifts smooth? My problem is less with 4 gears, and more with getting away from the almost violent shifts I have with my current 4 speed auto, which almost bounce me around when they happen.

Any recommendations?
I remember it being quite smooth, nothing to complain in that department.

FiestaST

Honorary Master

Any recommendations?
Polo Vivo is a Mk4 Polo facelift with a number of things stripped away including & not limited to sound deadening material.

zululami

Banned
Polo Vivos are highly sought after by criminals for some reason. Consider that as well, might bump up your insurance costs as a 'high-risk' vehicl.

MIA7171

Neither. Get the Mazda2.
Or Kia Rio, Ford Fiesta or Polo not the Vivo.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Neither. Would go with a Kia Rio - they have better interiors than either...

Bl1zz4rd

Mazda 2 auto or Fiesta Powershift.
I test drove a Fiesa Powershift recently. I was very impressed by the engine, but thoroughly unimpressed by the interior build quality and quality of the materials. Everything felt rough, and moved around if I touched it. Still good cars for the price though!

I often forget about Mazda. A 2 would be nice, but there unfortunately seem to be far fewer around vs things like Fiestas and Vivos.

Neither. Get the Mazda2.
Or Kia Rio, Ford Fiesta or Polo not the Vivo.
Found some great Polos, but they’re obviously more expensive than the Vivos.

Polo Vivos are highly sought after by criminals for some reason. Consider that as well, might bump up your insurance costs as a 'high-risk' vehicl.
Good point! Thank you. I’ll call Outsurance and check.

Out of all of these cars, which do you think will hold its value the best? I know VWs do very well with that, so I'm guessing the Vivo.