Polo Vivo vs Hyundai i20. Which should I get?

phoenix99

Expert Member
If it has to be one of those 2, then get the Hyundai. My vote is for a Mazda 2 though

qscwbt

Expert Member
between your original options I can settle it with one statement.

"check the insurance quote on both"

polo would be double the cost

Bl1zz4rd

I went to look at a Polo Vivo earlier, and was thoroughly disappointed by the quality of the materials, and cost-cutting measures (as people have mentioned). It feels cheap - not only compared to other VWs, but in general. Very hard plastics, lack of noise insulation materials, etc.

They've even saved by not putting fabric on the back of the rear seat (inside the trunk). They really don't seem worth their prices. I'm definitely not considering getting one anymore, and would rather wait and get a proper Polo, or keep looking at other brands' competitors.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I went to look at a Polo Vivo earlier, and was thoroughly disappointed by the quality of the materials, and cost-cutting measures (as people have mentioned). It feels cheap - not only compared to other VWs, but in general. Very hard plastics, lack of noise insulation materials, etc.

They've even saved by not putting fabric on the back of the rear seat (inside the trunk). They really don't seem worth their prices. I'm definitely not considering getting one anymore, and would rather wait and get a proper Polo, or keep looking at other brands' competitors.
Yup when I compare what my old Mk4 Polo was like compared to a Vivo you can see the cost cutting. My old man is still like they didn't cut that much. I'm like the rear seat belts aren't even molded into the c-pillar like they used to be, the roof material feels cheap, the dashboard is hard, everything just feels eh.
Look at a Sandero as well maybe? Might be able to get a newer less mileage one for your budget, the 2014 upwards ones are a massive improvement over the old ones.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Yup when I compare what my old Mk4 Polo was like compared to a Vivo you can see the cost cutting. My old man is still like they didn't cut that much. I'm like the rear seat belts aren't even molded into the c-pillar like they used to be, the roof material feels cheap, the dashboard is hard, everything just feels eh.
Look at a Sandero as well maybe? Might be able to get a newer less mileage one for your budget, the 2014 upwards ones are a massive improvement over the old ones.
The Sandero does not come in auto, think the OP is looking an auto car.

Claymore

Executive Member
I like my GF's i20; it's comfortable and seems pretty decent. The autobox is pretty smooth in gentle driving, but if accelerating hard or up a hill, the changes are hard and the engine raucous. I'd be pretty happy with it as a daily driver though.

The 4-speed vs. 6-speed does depend a bit on torque. The major reasons for having more gears is to keep the engine speed at the most efficient for the power you need to deliver, and a better torque curve negates the requirement for more gears, to a degree.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Stop talking out of your a** all the time. I picked a random site. Does this look double? Sure, it depends on area, etc. etc. But really?

View attachment 463443

View attachment 463445

Also: http://www.hippo.co.za/blog/motor/The-five-cheapest-cars-to-insure/
What site is that picture from?

Also, I refuse to use Hippo and will advise everyone against doing so. Unless you like being hounded 20x a day to take out a policy, from literally 5 minutes after you complete the form...

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Also, I refuse to use Hippo and will advise everyone against doing so. Unless you like being hounded 20x a day to take out a policy, from literally 5 minutes after you complete the form...
Fake number (or number of someone you don't like) or truecaller...

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
When I was buying my car back in 2014, I got insurance quotes for several different vehicles that I was considering, including a Polo.

The interesting thing was that the insurance broker said that the Polo was at a higher risk for theft, BUT, the premiums for it were not notably higher than any other car. The premium had more to do with the value of the vehicle than anything else.

That being said, who wants to be in a hijacking anyway? Even if your premium is not higher, do you really want to have a gun pointed at your face? Or, have to go to the police station to file a report and then claim from insurance? Rather not go through that.

Nithan15

Expert Member
having driven both as rental cars I would go with the Hyundai - smoother interior looks more modern.

The Vivo feels very dated, also power wise I like the Hyundai.Smoother delivery
taking into account I drove the Hyundai at the coast and polo up here.

Flarsiep

Last month had a visit to Kimberley. 918Km trip in the SO's I20. stopped twice for gas, otherwise it was 140 all the way.
Me being a big chap I was not sore from the seat or position, car returned 6.3l p 100Km. Comfortable as can be.
Outside noise was negligible.