Pool Cleaners - how to know which one to buy?

So MyBBers' another pool question

I have a marbelite pool with a Pentair/Kreepy Bullshark cleaner as far as I can make out.

1. How do you when the rubber thing that sucks to the floor/wall needs to be replaced? Mines seems to be curling up recently so was thinking it should be replaced. Then I saw the replacement cost at makro,etc and at r400 (https://www.makro.co.za/sports-and-outdoor/kreepy-krauly-/br-suction-seal-137996EA) doesn't make sense when you could get the whole system for R850 - https://www.makro.co.za/sports-and-outdoor/kreepy-krauly-/br-automatic-pool-cleaner-272054EA - well in a way ... :)

Right now, I have issues with my cleaner, as it chooses to skip my steps and a section of my pool. I've added two more hoses, and swapped pipes around, etc but still persists. With extra hoses, it get's stuck more often in the same area - by the steps. Also I have these thorny types of balls from a nearby tree that fall into the pool, and the cleaner chokes on them

I wonder if other cleaners are better? What would you recommend?

Edit: I have a large pool, 11m x 6m, with deep end nearly 2.3m. Approx volume: 100KL if that influences anything.

Thanks,

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I bought the Kreepy Tigershark - expensive piece of **** that keeps getting stuck in corners, floating upside done - and just doing random ****. Make sure what ever you have has a ring around it to prevent it getting stuck in corners.

Going to buy the Blu52 one this weekend.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Seems these things are made for certain pool shapes. You will always own the wrong one. Best is to test drive your fiend/neighbour's to find one that works in your pool.

I bought the Kreepy Tigershark - expensive piece of **** that keeps getting stuck in corners, floating upside done - and just doing random ****. Make sure what ever you have has a ring around it to prevent it getting stuck in corners.

Going to buy the Blu52 one this weekend
^^ This. So that's the point of the ring. Never thought about it before. I have just looked at my pool cleaner and it doesn't have the ring whereas the replacement head does (as per my link in the original post). I guess the previous owners of this house removed it for some unknown reason. Maybe I should just buy a new head.

PS. What Blu52 one will you buying? :)
T

Werfetter

You are going to have problems with all the pool cleaners. One is better than the other at one thing and worse at another. The Kreepy brand for example is not very good with debris in the pool, the hammer easily gets clogged while the diaphragm on the Baracuda's get damaged easily by anything with a sharp edge but dont get clogged as easily.

Get something that has parts easily available and honestly stick to the old "tried and trusted" cleaners. They are all going to need you to do some weekly maintenance in one way or another. The newer fancy ones are just gimmicks in my opinion...

Seems these things are made for certain pool shapes. You will always own the wrong one. Best is to test drive your fiend/neighbour's to find one that works in your pool.
That is much easier said then done. I've seen my neighbours pools and they are gross - Maybe I should lend them mines - hahah

You are going to have problems with all the pool cleaners. One is better than the other at one thing and worse at another. The Kreepy brand for example is not very good with debris in the pool, the hammer easily gets clogged while the diaphragm on the Baracuda's get damaged easily by anything with a sharp edge but dont get clogged as easily.

Get something that has parts easily available and honestly stick to the old "tried and trusted" cleaners. They are all going to need you to do some weekly maintenance in one way or another. The newer fancy ones are just gimmicks in my opinion...
That's my fear also and hence asking for advice - We stayed at a place for a weekend getaway that had one of the roller type cleaners and feck, it gave me a fright everytime it made surface while climbing the walls - made this huge sucking sound - though it was efficient in that very small square pool but the noise was annoying.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
^^ This. So that's the point of the ring. Never thought about it before. I have just looked at my pool cleaner and it doesn't have the ring whereas the replacement head does (as per my link in the original post). I guess the previous owners of this house removed it for some unknown reason. Maybe I should just buy a new head.

PS. What Blu52 one will you buying? :)
T
https://blu52.co.za/product/blu52-splasher/

Cleaners don't last - the conditions they work in are two harsh - so I'm just going with the cheapest I can find, think it was R690 on special at Builders or Checkers.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
Stay away form the Zodiac B3. There is a design flaw in the diaphragm, it tears every few months and has to be replaced. I'm about to dump mine and buy the cheapest cleaner I can find.

mister

Executive Member
Have you tried the Zodiac MX8 or MX6? I have the MX6 in my large pool and it's the only thing that has ever cleaned the entire pool. You can call Zodiac and book a demo unit for a few days to see what it is like.

Speedster

Executive Member
On a related note, any ideas where I can get a Hug Bug (by Kreepy Krauly) serviced in Pretoria?

Gummy@1

Hi everyone. I'm a new pool owner and recently bought a swimvac at makro. My pool size is 60000Lt and this cleaner refuse to go to the deep side and get stuck in the same position. I even tied a weight to it but now it sucks the sides and not the floor only on the shallow side.
1. Is this the right cleaner for a chiptile pool of this size.

mister

Executive Member
Hi everyone. I'm a new pool owner and recently bought a swimvac at makro. My pool size is 60000Lt and this cleaner refuse to go to the deep side and get stuck in the same position. I even tied a weight to it but now it sucks the sides and not the floor only on the shallow side.
If it doesn't work return it.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Just return the cleaner, it’s not suitable for your pool...

I’ve tried the expensive ones and I’m now using a voyager and it’s working perfectly