Pool cleaners - which are good and which should I stay away from?

saynothing

Hey guys, Just moved into my place 3 months ago. My Kreepy packed up yesterday - looks like it's seen better days...
So i'm looking to replace it with something that will give me a few years of solid service.
We have a few trees in the area, so there is a bit of debris that gets left at the bottom of the pool (including a palm tree which we recently trimmed back)

I've seen so many pool cleaners, but I don't know which is value for money & won't give me issues?
Voyager MK II, Poolmaster (should I even bother with that?), Baracuda, zodiac... or should i stick with good old Kreepy Krauly? - the next question is... which model?

Under R3 000 would be great!
Really appreciate the help, it's my first pool - used to live in a complex :/

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
They are all crap (the expensive and the cheap) and will break after about a year - you won't be able to get parts then and you will just have to buy a new one every year...

At least - that's my experience... :(

hunter30

I recently purchased the Zodiac MX8. It is great, does not try and climb out of the pool or suck air.
Makro have them for promotion at R1999.00 now. I have tried a few, and most have nearly forsed me to fill the pool up with sand, as I was frustrated with them. But I should mention, I only have had this one going for 2 months so far.

chewiesw

Expert Member
Don't go for the cheap one's and stay with one of the big brands, they generally provide the best customer service. If I had the cash I would probably go for the MX8 (like hunter30). You could always try to get your old one fixed, new skirt (sp?) and a new diaphram.

touch_stone

I recently purchased the Zodiac MX8. It is great, does not try and climb out of the pool or suck air.
Makro have them for promotion at R1999.00 now. I have tried a few, and most have nearly forsed me to fill the pool up with sand, as I was frustrated with them. But I should mention, I only have had this one going for 2 months so far.

Make sure that you've changed the sand in the filter and you have good strong suction before buying this unit, in fact you could get away with the "Dominator." A similar concept and bit cheaper from a different brand.

If you've got lots of leaves and debris at the bottom they tend to wedge between the rotors so ultimately you have to keep an eye on it with a check up every few days

skinndeep

Expert Member
Make sure that you've changed the sand in the filter and you have good strong suction before buying this unit, in fact you could get away with the "Dominator." A similar concept and bit cheaper from a different brand.

If you've got lots of leaves and debris at the bottom they tend to wedge between the rotors so ultimately you have to keep an eye on it with a check up every few days
How often must sand be changed?

karnuffel

Expert Member
How often must sand be changed?

Ive been told by the chap at our local pool shop that you need to change it every 18 months. Ive only done this twice before and both times I decided the sand needs a change after opening the filter and finding a layer of gunk on top. You can buy some time by stirring the sand a bit and doing a backwash+ rinse afterwards. I normally have a look at teh sand when my "kreepy" starts to act up and all the other culprits such as baskets and pipes have been eliminated.

karnuffel

Expert Member
Did some googling and found the following:
https://www.swimuniversity.com/pool-filter-sand-to-change-or-not-to-change/
After reading all of these comments and a bunch of online articles about the subject, I’m going to continue to recommend pool owners to change the sand in their filters every 3 to 5 years. Personally, I would change the sand every 5 years. It doesn’t take too long to do it, and it gives you a chance to get outside and learn a little bit more about your swimming pool, and I’m all for that

mister

Executive Member
Ive been told by the chap at our local pool shop that you need to change it every 18 months. Ive only done this twice before and both times I decided the sand needs a change after opening the filter and finding a layer of gunk on top. You can buy some time by stirring the sand a bit and doing a backwash+ rinse afterwards. I normally have a look at teh sand when my "kreepy" starts to act up and all the other culprits such as baskets and pipes have been eliminated.

It really depends on how dirty it gets. I used to get away with changing it once every 5 to 7 years, but now I have dogs that swim all day and it needs manual/hand backwashing every 6 months now.

sh3rIIf

kreepy krauly bullshark

i'm on my second one. first one lasted about 7 years. suction seal has to be replaced every 2 years though. you will notice the cleaner not gripping the floor anymore then you will know it's time to replace the suction seal

other than that i never had to replace anything on it

i have a big pool, 150 000 liters, so it works hard

qscwbt

Expert Member
I have a small pool. neighbours palm tree drops seed in pool. And after mowing the lawn I have lost of small stones in the pool.

Here my list:
Cheap no name cleaner from builders. Poor cleaning, pipes don't last, does not clean lasted a year.
Kreepy bull shark kept getting stuck in the corners.
Zodiac mx 8. Was initially very impressed. cleaned amazing for the first year. as stones got stuck in the moving parts it started stripping gearboxes. The track also wear out, gets stuck in its own wheels and trip the gearbox. Parts are expensive.
kreepy krauly dominator. I replaced the mx8 after it broke to many times. Now on the kreepy krauly dominator.
It eats rocks palm seeds. cleans well and have not broken. It works on a very simple system.

so go for the kreepy krauly dominator

raind33r

Expert Member
Do we get this (Polaris) in SA?
[video=youtube;ZajRJLrm3F4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZajRJLrm3F4[/video]

Saw it in action once, works awesome.

Catches the majority cr@p in a bag before it even gets to your filter.
Suppose if you were OCD you could have this and a Barracuda or Kreepy working simultaneously as this runs off the return jet.

///////////////////////////////
The cleaner has wheels and a filter bag on top. It is connected to the return jet in your pool by a hose. The pressure from your pump and filter pushes water through the hose and powers the wheels so that the cleaner moves across the bottom of the pool.

It also powers little jets inside the filter bag that shoot water up through the bag in a circular motion creating a water vortex. This vortex acts as a vacuum lifting dirt and debris off the bottom of your pool and into the filter bag.

Trailing behind the cleaner is a sweep hose. The sweep hose wags back and forth kicking up any leftover dirt and debris so that it can be picked up by your filter system. At the end of the sweep hose is a little scrubber that also brushes the bottom of the pool as it moves through the water.
//////////////////////////////

Coasti

Expert Member
The Voyager:

It's cheap.
It has a 3 year warranty. Supplier is local, parts are available.
Only one moving part. Hammer design vs diaphragm.
Mine has never missed a beat ( or a spot for that matter)

dabbler

Expert Member
I have a Poolmaster Genius. Lately it wasn't cleaning as well as it normally does. I removed it from the pool and found that the skirt plastic was sticky. Is this an age thing or is it caused by chemicals from the recent fire at the harbour here in Durban?
See pic
2375fd66ee424ba38daa4f9b685cf859.jpg

There is even a baby Gecko stuck to the sticky plastic. The top is ok still, only the bottom is sticky.
4a0dad344235591f26d88be91f03cc9e.jpg

Last edited:

catman37

Expert Member
+1 For MX8.

Had mine for 7 years now. Late last year i had to replace the rubber tracks and this year one of the gearboxes

rorz0r

Executive Member
+1 for Dominator. Absolutely hate the MX6 and MX8. I figure they are ok if your pool never gets anything in it. Dominator works like a beast compared to the MX8 that would stop whenever it went near a stick. It just seems to have fewer parts to go wrong, and the gears are easily accessible (not in a R1600 non user serviceable gearbox) and pretty chunky.
Replaced MX6 with a Hug Bug and that also worked really well. Again a simpler design.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I have a Poolmaster Genius. Lately it wasn't cleaning as well as it normally does. I removed it from the pool and found that the skirt plastic was sticky. Is this an age thing or is it caused by chemicals from the recent fire at the harbour here in Durban?
See pic
There is even a baby Gecko stuck to the sticky plastic. The top is ok still, only the bottom is sticky.

Mine also did this and I figured out that the level of Cyanuric acid in the water was too high (probably from using too many of those stabilised floaters).
This was causing a chemical reaction with the plastic in the pool cleaner.
When I managed to get the level of Cyanuric acid right then the stickiness problem went away.
If you have too much cyanuric acid in your pool your water will taste like wee wee. :crylaugh:

do you use stabilised floaters? Switch to using non-stabilised.
Especially if you have a smallish pool.

To get rid of the Cyanuric acid, you basically have to dilute the water by backwashing and adding more fresh water over the period of a few weeks.