Pool looks Green but Water is clear.

M-M

My pool looks green but when I took a sample of water with a clear cup,the water was absolutely clear. Have been treating my pool for algae with everything possible on the market..have manually vaccumed about 4 times...have scrubbed walls .I am not sure why the water looks green .

M-M

have you tried using a flocculant?
yes .used alum powder..worked like a bomb... vaccumed..done that about 3 times...thts why water is so clear at the top...but i dont see the bottom...pool deep end is about 170 deep.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
My pool looks green but when I took a sample of water with a clear cup,the water was absolutely clear. Have been treating my pool for algae with everything possible on the market..have manually vaccumed about 4 times...have scrubbed walls .I am not sure why the water looks green .
Take your water sample to a pool shop and follow the instructions they give you.

Write it down.

M-M

Take your water sample to a pool shop and follow the instructions they give you.

Write it down.
Hi...i have done that...even paid perfect pools R5600 and still sitting with a green pool...so close to giving up...but also want to reduce pool size as its 9mtrs long...tht might take some of the weight of on chemical expense and also better circulation.

Looking for recommendations to reduce pool size if any.

M-M

Ignore this troll. He's been given the answer 3 times and completely ignores it.
Mr sinbad..thanks for ur answer 3times but u see i hv used blu52 in my pool yday..not sure if i can still use a metal remover...hv a guy from perfect pools coming today again..but being a newbie and after trying almost everything..i dont think thr is harm in taking ppls opinions and as for ur advice i also need to find out more before i just jump to it..but thanks again.

garp

Executive Member
The usual suspect for a chronically green pool is low chlorine BUT there is usually a reason why the chlorine remains low so the solution is generally not to keep throwing in more chlorine, but to try and work out why the chlorine is ineffective. The important factors for chlorine are total alkalinity, acidity and stabiliser. If your pool is too acidic the chlorine doesn't last. If your stabiliser is too low, it gets burnt off by sunlight very easily. If your stabiliser is too high, the chlorine can be rendered ineffective.

Unfortunately, in my experience, the most common reason why a green pool will never clear is that the stabiliser is way too high - often leading to exasperation and adding more and more chlorine and then trying all sorts of other chemicals until you end up with a murky cesspit. The only way to sort that is to empty a large quantity of water and re-fill but this is costly so check carefully - get the water tested by more than one shop.

Finally, an often overlooked area is the actual filtration and circulation - often the issue is that the filter sand needs replacing or water just isn't circulating sufficiently. If you've had the water tested and it's all within parameters then this may be the issue.

Last edited:

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Mr sinbad..thanks for ur answer 3times but u see i hv used blu52 in my pool yday..not sure if i can still use a metal remover...hv a guy from perfect pools coming today again..but being a newbie and after trying almost everything..i dont think thr is harm in taking ppls opinions and as for ur advice i also need to find out more before i just jump to it..but thanks again.
I'm telling you to use the metal remover. It's a known maintenance thing with Blu52. I use Blu52 myself, have been for probably 10 years now, and I run a metal remover at least twice a year. I know when I need to do it because the water turns green as soon as I add in the blu52 chlorine dose.

M-M

The usual suspects for a green pool are low chlorine and/or incorrect alkalinity. But if your total alkalinity and or stabiliser is wrong, then chlorine will not be effective so it's important to pay attention to those. I usually get all the diags I need from one of these cheap test strips - you get a fair idea of chlorine, total alkalinity, acidity and stabiliser levels.

Unfortunately, in my experience, a common reason why a green pool will never clear is that the stabiliser is way too high which renders the chlorine pretty much useless. The only way to sort that is to empty a large quantity of water and re-fill but this is costly so check carefully.

Another often overlooked issue that exacerbates the issue is that the filter sand might need replacing.
yes i have zero chlorine...even after all the shocks and treatments and even tried salt chlorinator on 100%...my ph was high yday so adjusted with acid before throwing in blu52...now i have called for metal remover and will be trying that...i did hv low stabilizer but they said i didn't need to adjust tht with blu52...

ps: i do see some algea settled at the bottom after yday dose of blu52...

M-M

I'm telling you to use the metal remover. It's a known maintenance thing with Blu52. I use Blu52 myself, have been for probably 10 years now, and I run a metal remover at least twice a year. I know when I need to do it because the water turns green as soon as I add in the blu52 chlorine dose.
thanks..have called for it...im using blu52 for the first time so wasn't sure if metal treatment wld reduce its effect..only put it in last night..shld i put in the week 2 dosage after metal treatment?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Chlorine lock (caused by excess stabiliser) will result in high chlorine levels and a green pool, since the chlorine cannot be used. Stabiliser comes from using those big pill floaters - they use stabilised chlorine - trichloro-isocyanuric acid

You wouldn't need to worry about it with blu 52.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
thanks..have called for it...im using blu52 for the first time so wasn't sure if metal treatment wld reduce its effect..only put it in last night..shld i put in the week 2 dosage after metal treatment?
hmm. What did you use before blu 52?

AntennaMan

Expert Member
yes i have zero chlorine...even after all the shocks and treatments and even tried salt chlorinator on 100%...my ph was high yday so adjusted with acid before throwing in blu52...now i have called for metal remover and will be trying that...i did hv low stabilizer but they said i didn't need to adjust tht with blu52...

ps: i do see some algea settled at the bottom after yday dose of blu52...
Jumping between different solutions isn't helping. There are so many variables at play, you'll never figure out what the problem is. Choose solution and stick with it. Eliminate one variable at a time. Gl

M-M

hmm. What did you use before blu 52?
all the shock treatments... perfect pools did a whole bunch of things for a month from algeicides to peroxide...i had started with alum and shock and vacuuming..worked but evertime i vaccumed because it upset the water it wld go murky again....been a crazy 2 months since i bought this house. after reading all the threads on pools here decide to give blu 52 a go as i feel pool companies just wanna siphon money.

M-M

Jumping between different solutions isn't helping. There are so many variables at play, you'll never figure out what the problem is. Choose solution and stick with it. Eliminate one variable at a time. Gl
agreed ...thts why i thought blu 52 wld do the job...

Sinbad

Honorary Master
all the shock treatments... perfect pools did a whole bunch of things for a month from algeicides to peroxide...i had started with alum and shock and vacuuming..worked but evertime i vaccumed because it upset the water it wld go murky again....been a crazy 2 months since i bought this house. after reading all the threads on pools here decide to give blu 52 a go as i feel pool companies just wanna siphon money.
No I mean as a routine maintenance thing... Do you know what the previous owner's maintenance routine was?

M-M

No I mean as a routine maintenance thing... Do you know what the previous owner's maintenance routine was?
Unfortunately previous owners migrated bfr the sale..but perfect pools managed thr pool for them thts how i started to use thr service...not happy at all though.thy just come throw chemicals and go thats if thy come.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Unfortunately previous owners migrated bfr the sale..but perfect pools managed thr pool for them thts how i started to use thr service...not happy at all though.thy just come throw chemicals and go thats if thy come.
Ah ok then.

Get yourself a test kit, and do some water tests yourself. Check the pH, alkalinity and chlorine levels, and post back here.
Give the metal remover a go if your pH is right. It will not have a detrimental effect on the blu52 dose you added. The booster is basically a flocculant and algaecide.
Once the metal removal process is finished, chuck in the next week's dose, and see how it goes.

Bear in mind - filter sand only lasts about 6 years. Try and find out when last it was changed.