Poor ADSL means better 3G in SA says Alan Knott-Craig

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Wireless broadband in SA will cost little enough to rival overseas wireline prices within the next five years
Thats pretty damn misleading.

Comparing current wired prices vs wireless prices in 5 years time on a 1:1 basis.

Data prices are dropping everywhere so its a moving target. And a hell of a lot of movement can occur in 5 years in the ICT sector.

TJ99

Honorary Master
Waffle waffle waffle. I agree with Havoc, comparing now with 5 years from now is silly. But even so, I'll believe it when I see it, because right now, uncapped FTTH 1Gbps connections are R190 per month in some countries.

So, by 2 June 2016 I expect my phone to have uncapped 1Gbps (and actually have that speed, not like now where we get rarely get 120kbps on our 21mbps world class networks) for R190/month. Or let's be reasonable, I'll take 100mbps for R19 a month, fair is fair after all.

I think they're bargaining on the world ending in 2012 so they won't be held accountable for their lies.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Knott-Craig also said that mobile operators in South Africa are using their voice profits to subsidise data losses.
You cannot have one product subsidise another product, this will lead to problems in the long term.

TJ99

Honorary Master
All the operators are already doing this - prepaid voice and SMS is where the big profits are at!
Well to be honest, they're making quite a bit on the data too, especially once you use more than their tiny bundles.

Qrox

Expert Member
Again, the only way that they can make 3G attractive is if they offer the max speed @ max R300 for uncapped. Since thats not going to happen for at least 70 years...

If we could just get telkom to get off of their asses and do something about LLU that would already help

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
Knott-Craig also said that mobile operators in South Africa are using their voice profits to subsidise data losses.
That is a lie. You only have to look at VC and MTN annual reports to know that data growth is driving cellular company's profitability. This is just an excuse for rip-off pricing.

There is no doubt, though, that the ability to rip people off in the absence of fixed line competition has spurred 3G growth in SA. Where there is outlandish profit, there is a concentration of effort.

And there is no doubt that our Cell Co's just love Telkom, the DoC, Icasa and Neofail. The gift that keeps on giving to the few at the expense of the many.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Ok, let me put this in terms so that dumb people like Alan Knott-Craig can understand it.
*Speed means nothing if it cannot be sustained.

Now with the obvious being stated, tell me which is faster at transferring 500GB ?
a) Uncapped ADSL 4mbps
b) Capped HSDPA 50mbps

The correct answer is a) because it takes the average person less than 1 day to earn R1000 which is required for option a.
The wrong answer is b) because no one can make money fast enough to pay R1,024,000 just to send 500GB.

xumwun

Expert Member
Ok, let me put this in terms so that dumb people like Alan Knott-Craig can understand it.

Now with the obvious being stated, tell me which is faster at transferring 500GB ?
a) Uncapped ADSL 4mbps
b) Capped HSDPA 50mbps

The correct answer is a) because it takes the average person less than 1 day to earn R1000 which is required for option a.
The wrong answer is b) because no one can make money fast enough to pay R1,024,000 just to send 500GB.
+1,024,000

elL0L

Expert Member

a) Uncapped ADSL 4mbps
b) Capped HSDPA 50mbps

In South-Africa your far over average when earning R1000 per day.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Either way, that just further supports my claim. ADSL is 1000 times cheaper and more sustainable. The only way to address that is to introduce uncapped broadband on 3G. I'm not saying uncapped 7mbps, 1mbps will do just fine.

What the hell? This is like saying "Poor quality of water means better tasting beer"

Sure the one is fun to have and will give you some short-term pleasure, but that **** dehydrates you. The other nourishes you. Choose carefully.

Bosvark@

Expert Member
Considering my 4096k line is still not 10MB I am now considering alternatives and this seems to be a good option in time to come!

Stochos

Expert Member
Why should anyone listen to this gangster? He was at the helm of vodacom when they were colluding with MTN.
Just another useless old white guy who milked the system. First apartheid and then Telkom/Vodacom.

His comments are probably motivated by the fact that he still has shares in vodacom or options which coincidently has 5 years to run!

Why should anyone listen to this gangster? He was at the helm of vodacom when they were colluding with MTN.
Just another useless old white guy who milked the system. First apartheid and then Telkom/Vodacom.

His comments are probably motivated by the fact that he still has shares in vodacom or options which coincidently has 5 years to run!
Why bring race into this?

And you clearly do you not know him.... useless he is not.

Speedster

Executive Member
So when are we going to see new prices from VC? All this talk is a bunch of hot air until they actually bring out new pricing. I'm tired of all this nonsense Can't myBB refuse to carry stories like this that aren't backed up by some cold, hard price reductions?