Port Forwarding not possible on Afrihost - Shared IP

b1nary

So can someone tell me if I'm crazy or not, I have fibre with Afrihost and Frogfoot and have been trying to get port Forwarding setup to no avail.

Now I noticed my DHCP address assigned to WAN is a 100.99.*.* range address , which is reserved for carrier grade NAT, so it looks like I will never be able to Port Forward since the Public IP I can see on a typical site like whatsmyip is shared with numerous users and not one to one.

Anyone else have/had this ?

any comments @AfriGuy ?

So can someone tell me if I'm crazy or not, I have fibre with Afrihost and Frogfoot and have been trying to get port Forwarding setup to no avail.

Now I noticed my DHCP address assigned to WAN is a 100.99.*.* range address , which is reserved for carrier grade NAT, so it looks like I will never be able to Port Forward since the Public IP I can see on a typical site like whatsmyip is shared with numerous users and not one to one.

any comments @AfriGuy ?
You can request a public IP from afrihost. @AfriNatic can assist.

any comments @AfriGuy ?

Hi,

Please send me your clientzone email address via pm for me to assist.

Consider something like ngrok? But make sure its setup safely or you're opening up TCP breakins all over the place...

any comments @AfriGuy ?
Just get a static IP or go the DDNS route most routers support either-or. So regardless the public IP your DDNS address will stay the same, just be sure to have it update every minute or as needed so that if you drop out or something that refreshes your public IP DDNS updates with the new publicly assigned IP address

You would need a floating IP but what you hosting at home. You could create a bastion host on a vps.

Just get a static IP or go the DDNS route most routers support either-or. So regardless the public IP your DDNS address will stay the same, just be sure to have it update every minute or as needed so that if you drop out or something that refreshes your public IP DDNS updates with the new publicly assigned IP address
He has a RFC6598 IP! https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6598

Not hosting anything right now, but like most enthusiasts or prosumers I want to understand what's happening with my setup and what my options are in case I want to do things, the worst part is I spent hours yesterday messing with this thinking I'm loosing my edge because I decide to play with mikrotik for the first time in years and couldn't get the port forwarding to work.

Not hosting anything right now, but like most enthusiasts or prosumers I want to understand what's happening with my setup and what my options are in case I want to do things, the worst part is I spent hours yesterday messing with this thinking I'm loosing my edge because I decide to play with mikrotik for the first time in years and couldn't get the port forwarding to work.

We have a CGN and the majority of the fibre providers are enabled for this. We can remove you and give you a public IP if you want. If you change routers and the mac address changes the DHCP server will likely allocated a natted IP address again so I suggest only requesting a public IP for the device you decide to use the most or you can use MAC clone to keep that public IP address if you switch devices.

@AfriNatic I just went via the WhatsApp support to request a publicly accessible IP address and was told that this is not possible.

"""
We don't manage the DHCP server for Vuma trench, as a result, we can't allocate a non nat IP.
Vuma states that they can not assist in this regards too apologies
"""

I must say I am very disappointed as I was using a publicly accessible IP address until a few weeks ago. I honestly thought I had done something which was why it wasn't working.

@AfriNatic I just went via the WhatsApp support to request a publicly accessible IP address and was told that this is not possible.

"""
We don't manage the DHCP server for Vuma trench, as a result, we can't allocate a non nat IP.
Vuma states that they can not assist in this regards too apologies
"""

I must say I am very disappointed as I was using a publicly accessible IP address until a few weeks ago. I honestly thought I had done something which was why it wasn't working.

Hi,

Sorry for the bad experience you received.

I can definitely assist you with a public IP. Can you send me a pm with your email address for me to assist?

Hi @AfriNatic

I'm also having an issue of not being able to get a public IP and according to your WA support, it's not possible on the Frogfoot network. Yet other ISP's can provide this (https://wttx.co.za/ftth-fibre-to-home/frogfoot/)

"Unfortunately, static IPs are only offered with Openserve lines we do not offer static IP Addresses with FrogFoot"

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-14 181907.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-14 181907.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 42
Hi @AfriNatic

I'm also having an issue of not being able to get a public IP and according to your WA support, it's not possible on the Frogfoot network. Yet other ISP's can provide this (https://wttx.co.za/ftth-fibre-to-home/frogfoot/)

"Unfortunately, static IPs are only offered with Openserve lines we do not offer static IP Addresses with FrogFoot"

Hi,

Apologies for the issues you experiencing.

We don't offer a static ip on Frogfoot but I can arrange for public IP so you can do your port forwarding.

Please send me you email via a private message for me to assist.

Hi,

Apologies for the issues you experiencing.

We don't offer a static ip on Frogfoot but I can arrange for public IP so you can do your port forwarding.

Please send me you email via a private message for me to assist.
Haha! I got the two confused. :X3:

No worries. I have port forwarding already set up.

Back