Port Forwarding on a Supposedly Static and non-CGNAT IP

Kootherpalli

Hi there, I just recently got into Home Servers and the potential they have :D

But the thing is I want to be able to connect to my server from outside of my home network. I did some research and found that I would need a Public Static IP.

So with me being with WebAfrica, I contacted them and they said they could give me a Public Static IP at only R29 extra p/m.

Me thinking this is a great deal, I went for it. A day later I got my Static IP.

But the problem I am having is port forwarding, which after a little more research I found that a lot of ISPs do something called CGNAT-ing. I got on the line with WebAfrica, and they told me that if I purchase a Public Static IP that I am removed from the CGNAT pool.

So I went ahead and tried some more, but got no where. Every port I open, I check using an online port checker, I even used a port scanner, but they all stay closed for some reason.

Is there any way to check that I have actually been removed from the CGNAT pool?
And if I have been, am I doing something wrong with my Port Fowarding? (Input Port Nr, Protocol, and Target Local IP)

I'm posting this here, because I have nowhere else to ask for advice :)
Any advice would be great thanks.

Screenshot of Comms with WebAfrica:
1653030757755.png

Try using an online service that gives you your ip. Then compare that to your given static public ip. Try whatsmyip as searchterm in the google search bar.

Try using an online service that gives you your ip. Then compare that to your given static public ip. Try whatsmyip as searchterm in the google search bar.
So I did this, and when I search "whatsmyip" exactly, Google shows me my IPv6, but I just clicked on the first link "https://whatismyipaddress.com" and it showed me my IPv4 and 6.

The shown IPv4 is what my ISP says my new Static IP is.

It starts with a 102.xxx.xxx.xxx

:unsure:

So your problem is then with the setup on your router. Something wrong with the port forwarding. The port on the outside forwarded to a port on the inside on an internal (private) ip. Something wrong there.

Also make sure the given static IP is what your router says it is using.

So your problem is then with the setup on your router. Something wrong with the port forwarding. The port on the outside forwarded to a port on the inside on an internal (private) ip. Something wrong there.

I got it, you were right. My port forwarding was the problem, I had not configure a static local ip on my server box yet.

Thanks it works now.

Sorry to bump this. Is this a static IP (e.g. it always stays the same and webafrica never assigns you a new one) or just a public IP (e.g. not double-nat/cgnat)?

No sane person should be using port forwarding in this day and age to gain access to their home network. There are far more efficient and secure methods than port forwarding, and they work regardless of what kind of IP address your ISP gives you.

No sane person should be using port forwarding in this day and age to gain access to their home network. There are far more efficient and secure methods than port forwarding, and they work regardless of what kind of IP address your ISP gives you.
Hallelujah!

Back