Port forwaring on Rain Mobile

Captain Morgan

Have anybody had any success with configuring port forwarding on Rain mobile?

I have been trying to get this to work for a while (worked perfectly on my Mikrotik router & DSL, as well as on Telkom LTE).

Rain mobile support doesn't seem to understand what port forwarding or an unrestricted apn is :wtf:

I would like to be able to view my CCTV cameras remotely when I am not home but seems like this is impossible with Rain mobile?

StoneCold

Expert Member
Captain Morgan, hate to break it to you, but I'm in the same boat. I emailed them and they said that port forwarding is only allowed on their fixed LTE packages and NOT on the mobile package. So yeah, I port forwarded till I'm blue in the face, but after I got their response I sadly had to make peace with it :(

U_Guy

Having the same issue, logged a service request with them this morning, hopefully they can rectify.

Currently rain does not offer unrestricted APN's, I have contacted them a few times and Iv'e asked them to request their network technicians to supply customers with at least a dynamic public IP with unrestricted incoming access.

skydog

the issue around not being able to port forward is probably because of carrier grade nat for mobile users and not for the fixed lte.
looking at the ip address i get on my mobile device it is a 10.x.x.x address
when i do a "what is my ip" i get a public 197.x

bottom line is they cant fix it as it is designed that way if you need to port forward you will need to get a different product

rapidblue

Expert Member
I was testing this at home too - I have an OpenVPN server running at home so that I can VPN into my home network when I'm out. Not working on Rain but it works when I have a Cell-C (IS) or TelkomMobile SIM in my home router :(

the issue around not being able to port forward is probably because of carrier grade nat for mobile users and not for the fixed lte.
looking at the ip address i get on my mobile device it is a 10.x.x.x address
when i do a "what is my ip" i get a public 197.x

bottom line is they cant fix it as it is designed that way if you need to port forward you will need to get a different product
That is completely untrue, the network will be natted from the edge of their network to your internal IP of 10.x.x.x
There is nothing wrong with the way their network is, they are just not accepting incomming connections to their public IP's and they are not natted yet to the clients 10.x.x.x IP. The customer does NOT need to have a public IP directly on their CPE and even if they do want to provide the public IP to the CPE, it IS possible as they can just change their IP lease pool.

Cell C has their internal IP's 10.x.x.x also and they nat their public IP's to their internal IP's.

Last edited: