Portable Aircons

Praemon

Expert Member
I've got the Elegance (14k BTU I think) as I'm also renting, and it works alright. It just has an exhaust vent. Not sure if it's where I stay (humidity wise), but I never have to drain water (there is a little stopper if needed), but I have to add water every hour or so of use.

It can make a small room fairly cool, but as mentioned the main issue is venting the hot air. Thanks to some help from a forum member I got a piece of plexi-glass cut out to fit the exhaust hose, and then stuck that onto the window frame with two-way tape. This has helped a lot in keeping the hot air out, but it's still not as good as a proper aircon. Oh, and it's very loud.

I've been looing for an apartment to purchase, and it's amazing how many complexes don't allow aircon installations - crazy! So if your landlord will allow a temporary install, I'd say rather go for that.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
One of my tenants bought a 14k-BTU portable from Builders 2 or so weeks ago. He made it work by replacing one of the smaller windows with transparent perspex into which he cut an oval-hole, into which the exhaust's plastic adaptor clips. It looks very elegant, considering, and he also extended the exhaust pipe by using 3-inch bendable A/C ducting.

Apparently it works quite well and it gets around the problem of having to exhaust the hot air via a standard, flip-open steel-frame window.

If anything I would put a mesh or a flap across the external-facing exhaust port as to stop birds and water from entering it.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
One of my tenants bought a 14k-BTU portable from Builders 2 or so weeks ago. He made it work by replacing one of the smaller windows with transparent perspex into which he cut an oval-hole, into which the exhaust's plastic adaptor clips. It looks very elegant, considering, and he also extended the exhaust pipe by using 3-inch bendable A/C ducting.

Apparently it works quite well and it gets around the problem of having to exhaust the hot air via a standard, flip-open steel-frame window.

If anything I would put a mesh or a flap across the external-facing exhaust port as to stop birds and water from entering it.
But you won't allow him to install a split unit aircon?

qscwbt

Expert Member
Speak to your landlord. Ask him if you install a split unit if he can deduct it of your rent over say 6 months or a year. At the end of the day it improves the value of his investment. You have better living conditions and he has a place he can rent out much easier.

I rented a few places and never had a landlord say no to upgrades to his place.

gfmalan

Expert Member
I have the Delonghi 12500 BTU (N125HP),

Sound like a fridge running, and to overcome the gap issue I made Perspex covers.

137DB5AB-6E5C-4C79-AD82-5B8A43C84E6E.jpg

You get two types of indoor portable aircons, the one has a removable container for the condensated water and that fill up every few hours (unit stop till you empty it), or mine use the heat to evaporate it. Mine also has rubber plug to drain, but even running 16 hours long, you maybe sit with 20ml water.

Nick.

Thanks for the info guys....

then the last question - IS THIS WORTH WHILE? is this item worth getting
yes or no

given all the effort that goes with it, noise, exhaust pipe, water drainage etc...

yes or no

and is it worth going for a more expensive unit (reputable brand)

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
even an icecube on your nutsack is worth it so yes the portable is worth it as it is better than nothing.
If you can afford it go split and you will not regret it. Try that first and hopefully your landlord allows you.
Who knows maybe landlord likes the idea and you get to pay a grand a month less each month on your payment until it is fully paid for.
Landlord scores at it has just added value to his property.

If not then yes I run a portable at work and i still get bloody hot but no where near as without anything, not even an icecube :thumbsup:

gfmalan

Expert Member
Thanks for the info guys....

then the last question - IS THIS WORTH WHILE? is this item worth getting
yes or no

given all the effort that goes with it, noise, exhaust pipe, water drainage etc...

yes or no

and is it worth going for a more expensive unit (reputable brand)
I want a good nights rest, and my AC is giving me that. The noise stay the same, so easy to fall asleep.

The fact that I don’t need to stand up and empty the water is a bonus.

The cheaper on has more flexibility with adjustable air vent that is blowing out horizontal, where mine is fixed and 45 degrees.

If you can’t mount a split unit, then this is the answer. I have no regrets. (Mine is 9 years old and no issue)

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Can you not speak to the owner of the place and ask if they want to invest in a aircon for the unit but you will go half in?

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
I have the Delonghi 12500 BTU (N125HP),

Sound like a fridge running, and to overcome the gap issue I made Perspex covers.

View attachment 621220

You get two types of indoor portable aircons, the one has a removable container for the condensated water and that fill up every few hours (unit stop till you empty it), or mine use the heat to evaporate it. Mine also has rubber plug to drain, but even running 16 hours long, you maybe sit with 20ml water.
This looks like a good solution. How did you get the perspex thing to fit your window? Maybe a stupid question...

The portable aircon I had also only output a very little amount of water. Barely needed to drain it. That said, it was very loud and I had difficulty finding a way to vent the hot air effectively. The exhaust pipe also got very hot and started heating the room. As others have already said is an issue.

gfmalan

Expert Member
This looks like a good solution. How did you get the perspex thing to fit your window? Maybe a stupid question...

The portable aircon I had also only output a very little amount of water. Barely needed to drain it. That said, it was very loud and I had difficulty finding a way to vent the hot air effectively. The exhaust pipe also got very hot and started heating the room. As others have already said is an issue.
My windows look like sliding doors, so I measured and used laser cutter.

In Pretoria I had normal opening windows, I did cut a full window size, fixed the window in open state, and cable-tide, perspex “window” with hole to burglar bars for the summer.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
My windows look like sliding doors, so I measured and used laser cutter.

In Pretoria I had normal opening windows, I did cut a full window size, fixed the window in open state, and cable-tide, perspex “window” with hole to burglar bars for the summer.
Ah ok. That's a good idea if you're handy enough to do that kind of thing...