Portable evaporative coolers - do they work?

ebendl

Expert Member
Do any of these actually work?

My in-laws have a big evap unit on the top of their roofs with ducts to many rooms. It really makes a nice difference -- cools down the house just enough to make it bearable in the Pretoria heat.

Probably is, I don't have 50 - 60k to install something similarly. Even a 24 000 BTU aircon at this point is too expensive (and running cost much higher).

I have a room of around 42 mˆ2 that I want to try and cool down.

So I started looking at these:

https://evaporative-coolers.co.za/product/ab20-evaporative-cooler/ (sold by Makro online for R3k)

They claim you can use it outside too -- which would be great to use on the patio. But I'm concerned that I'm buying an expensive fan with dripping water sounds :p

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
I think you will be disappointed in the performance. It needs low humidity to cool, so really anywhere at the coast or inland is a waste of time. Up in Gauteng on a dry day, you will feel decent "cool" air blowing out of it, but only if you sit nearby. I doubt it can cool a room - thermodynamics and all that. I would seriously just save up for an aircon - even if it is just one smaller unit in the bedroom. In the meantime, just buy some fans and mist yourself with water from a spray bottle.

labratza

Expert Member
you can get a 12000BTU which will cool the room easily, my room is a 45m2 and a 12000BTU works wonders keeps the room at around 19C which is perfect for me

ebendl

Expert Member
you can get a 12000BTU which will cool the room easily, my room is a 45m2 and a 12000BTU works wonders keeps the room at around 19C which is perfect for me
I have an awkward open-plan situation -- kitchen and dining area and entrance all connected, but not a normal "rectangular"room. I calculated the total room size to around 42 square, but many of the online calculators suggest around 21,000 BTU for a "room" this size. Are you sure 12,000 is enough?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
A 12000 may be slightly on the small side but if you aren't looking to cool it to 18 degrees and do so for 24 hours a day it will make a big difference, way more than any evap cooler will and prob cheaper as well in terms of running costs

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
I have an awkward open-plan situation -- kitchen and dining area and entrance all connected, but not a normal "rectangular"room. I calculated the total room size to around 42 square, but many of the online calculators suggest around 21,000 BTU for a "room" this size. Are you sure 12,000 is enough?
Just install it in a place where you sit so it can blow on you. It will just work harder.