Posbank and how bad it is.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
In 2008 I opened a Posbank accont at the post office for some reason. I deposited R520 in it and forgot about it until I was cleaning up a few old drawers and found the account book.

Went in today to see how much was in it, not expecting a lot of growth, and was surprises to see it is R487.

Nice going SAPO.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I honestly thought that being a saving account it would have grown. Sad to see that these days you are better off keeping money under the mattress.

KT-B

Honorary Master
I honestly thought that being a saving account it would have grown. Sad to see that these days you are better off keeping money under the mattress.
My kids opened ABSA ones and lost all their money due to not using it. The accounts were all closed. Savings no longer means you make money - even school kids lose theirs. I was under the impression there were no charges - boy was I wrong!

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Today is the first I heard of it. I was expecting below inflation growth, but not negative growth at all.

What is wrong with our banking system?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Today is the first I heard of it. I was expecting below inflation growth, but not negative growth at all.

Fees, and no interest rates in savings accounts (and not really on any other accounts except fixed deposits either) at the big 4 banks (and Postbank) until some of them made accounts to compete with Capitec which has a decent interest rate on their accounts. But nooooo, Capitec is the spaza or mickey mouse bank according to some losers, while in fact being a market disruptor.

Dups!

Fees, and no interest rates in savings accounts (and not really on any other accounts except fixed deposits either) at the big 4 banks (and Postbank) until some of them made accounts to compete with Capitec which has a decent interest rate on their accounts. But nooooo, Capitec is the spaza or mickey mouse bank according to some losers, while in fact being a market disruptor.
I think one would be better off with Tyme Bank when it comes to earning interest currently. I am just imagining how much would he have made had Tyme been around back then, obviously, having opened a goalsave account as well. Wouldn't have lost a cent and still made a bit on the interests.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I think one would be better off with Tyme Bank when it comes to earning interest currently. I am just imagining how much would he have made had Tyme been around back then, obviously, having opened a goalsave account as well. Wouldn't have lost a cent and still made a bit on the interests.
Yes, currently, but back in 2008 Capitec was available (my account opened Aug 2008), with a higher interest rate than now (9 or 10%ish) and the monthly fee was like R3.50.

Arthur

Honorary Master

They're in cahoots with government on the fiat money scam.

Rather buy your kids gold. Kruger Rands, even 1/10, 1/4, or 1/2 oz. When the current house of cards collapses they'll thank you for it.

WillemRoos

Rather buy your kids gold. Kruger Rands, even 1/10, 1/4, or 1/2 oz. When the current house of cards collapses they'll thank you for it.
Agreed on this. Rather spend R2k on a 1/10th whenever you can afford it and put that away for your kids in a safe.

chrisc

Executive Member
Capitec pays 4.5% interest pa, and R5 monthly in fees. Therefore, you need to have a balance of over R1200 just to break even

AFAIK only retirees get "free" banking, but you have to leave a positive balance in the account to qualify

Düber

Today is the first I heard of it. I was expecting below inflation growth, but not negative growth at all
I have been going through my finances and must thank you for the investment tip! It seems like you almost did better than one of my RA's!

#@$&#@$ fee's!

Lupus

Honorary Master
I got my son an investment account about a year ago. Only way to save and earn interest, yes it's only 3 to 5% sometimes a bit higher depending on how things are but he's now R400 richer then he was.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
They're in cahoots with government on the fiat money scam.

What about guns and ammo too? Or else how will you defend yourself and your gold coins in the chaos following said collapse?