Possible Scam

dyanamo

Received a connection request via LinkedIn from DAVID RICHARD who apparently is from Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Consolidated who would like to have a word with me. So I add him and about 5 hours later I receive a email from Dr.Yong-Gi.

The email content is as follows:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dong Wha Pharm. Ind. Co., Ltd., is a pharmaceutical manufacturing company based in South Korea; we specialize in producing advanced hospital equipment and devices. My company wish to fly down to South Africa for 5 years procurement of a solid minerals called (Cobaltite Stone ) with Chemical formula = 7(Bz80q)w 95% = whitish color Description- (200 gram Weight) with our funds.

The reason why we are contacting you to handle this business for us because we have not been to South Africa,also we are seeking for someone that can represent my company over there in country. Although this may not be in line with your current business but this does not disturb you as it's a life time profitable venture if you are capable of handing it.

Meanwhile once you indicate your interest by returning of mail ,we shall send our two company's delegations to meet with you face to face in South Africa for procurement with memorandum of understanding (MOU) agreement. Lastly If you are not interested kindly advise us quickly to seek for someone else.

Dr.Yong-Gi Lee
(Director)
Dong Wha Pharm. Ind. Co., Ltd.
5 Sunwha-Dong, Choong-Ku, seoul
http://www.dong-wha.co.kr
+82-2-6465-0308

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My alarm bells are ringing and am 99% sure this is a scam but I want to play along and see where this leads.
I do the usual, request a email from the companies official email address (which is ignored and keep getting mail from original email (which is a gmail address)) and am requested for my phone number. I obviously dont give this but I ask for a draft copy of this MOU agreement which I get and he is apparently trying to acquire Cobaltite Stone from a South African company (as a South African proxy [me]) as apparently these mining companies quote more for international customers.

He gives me the contact details of the company and asks I phone them. I am not getting my number out there so I email the said company for a quote as I really would like to see where this is going and the possible scam part of it.

I am guessing they will request me to pay for some sort of "clearance" then disappear with the money.

Lets see what happens, Ill keep you guys updated.

werny

Expert Member
If they're using a Gmail/Yahoo email address then it's a scam, 100%.

No legit company would ever use a Gmail address.

namzsteve

Expert Member
:crylaugh:

We are still falling for this in these times.

This to me is 99% scam

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
99% scam?

See, this is the issue... you have doubt...

There is zero doubt that this is entirely a scam...

namzsteve

Expert Member
Well the 1% goes to the fact that the website does actually exist and name is listed on Reuters

dyanamo

There is always a chance its not but done some more investigating. The mining company replied pretty quickly via email so I did a whois on the co.za domain used in the email and surprise, surprise it is registered to a company with a telephone number in Nigeria, as well as the mining company postal address coming from Ikeja, Lagos, 300001, NG. Im still going to play this and see where the actual scam part is involved.

Last edited:

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
There is always a chance its not but done some more investigating. The mining company replied pretty quickly via email so I did a whois on the co.za domain used in the email and surprise, surprise it is registered to a company with a telephone number in Nigeria, as well as the mining company postal address coming from Ikeja, Lagos, 300001, NG. Im still going to play this and see where the actual scam part is involved.
Do it and keep us updated. Have some fun. James Veitch is a good example of the fun that can be had.

dyanamo

Just looked at the mining website as well in the HTML - <!-- Mirrored from uxart.io/bulldozer-mega/all-templates/Construction/project.html by HTTrack Website Copier/3.x [XR&CO'2014], Fri, 12 Jan 2018 13:20:53 GMT -->

Pretty good attempt with a few mistakes made that could easily fool a non IT background person.

Still no word back from my friend Dr.Yong-Gi Lee Lee yet

Last edited:

dyanamo

The guilt trip:

This is to acknowledge receipt of your message . Please bear in mind that my organization is not forcing you to go against your wish or continue with procurement that is favorable to you in next five years as soon as our delegations arrived South Africa to meet with you face to face for procurement with our company funds. Therefore as matter of urgency when you are not capable of handling the purchase for us over there ,you are free to call it quit by advising us speedily to seek for someone else that has ability to carry it to land light as time is not on our side to waste.

Sent him the un-official quote from the mining company.

I expect a request to meet now.

Last edited:

dyanamo

Looking for suggestions on how to play this next:

We want to thank you for the effort you have vested so far. The purchasing price is accepted by the management and we want to make a trip to South Africa within 72hours for procurement of raw material with our company funds . Kindly know there is no legal consequences in this transaction, the product is not prohibited by any law in the world. Beside, you are dealing with a multinational company, and all its transaction are accordance with the law and products is not banned in South Africa.

Therefore to enable us proceed on for the purchase speedily our board of directors is requesting for your full name ,address which we will use in papering the memorandum of understanding agreement(MOU) between your company and (Dong Wha Pharm. Ind. Co., Ltd). You should inform them that we are highly interested in procurement of 10,000 units every 4 months interval for period of good 5years.

Lastly kindly email me your private telephone number to get hold on you for more discussion.

R13...

Honorary Master
Give them fake details with your names slightly misspelled

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Get a prepaid sim as well...

Give them SOME legit details, but enough fake ones to be a totally different person.

Humberto

Expert Member
I would be careful not to let this go too far.

I've seen James Veitch's videos, and they are very funny, but I suspect also somewhat embellished.

Daruk

Honorary Master
[video=youtube;_QdPW8JrYzQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QdPW8JrYzQ[/video]