Possible solution to water shortages - Make water from air

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
Everytime I've seen these things punted over the last decade its as a way to take a place off the municipal water supply...

But I agree if it was merely a potable water replacement it may have legs but it's still a hard sell at R15k up front investment.
I'm absolutely getting one, but then I don't want to rely on the bankrupt municipality for my water needs. Also, carting water at 1kg / L is not economical when it's an hour's drive in to town. R15k is the lower end of the price spectrum, they've been R25k or thereabout recently.

R15k for potable water isn't really a big deal.
I think thats the crux.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
I'm absolutely getting one, but then I don't want to rely on the bankrupt municipality for my water needs. Also, carting water at 1kg / L is not economical when it's an hour's drive in to town. R15k is the lower end of the price spectrum, they've been R25k or thereabout recently.

I think thats the crux.
Borehole?

gamer16

Honorary Master
Sure

If you have millions to spend and only need a glass or two.

If you really want to solve water problems the oldest way is the best way, rivers and dams.

China example

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
Sure

If you have millions to spend and only need a glass or two.

If you really want to solve water problems the oldest way is the best way, rivers and dams.

China example

:X3:
Chinese engineering will not get me water to my beach home at Morgan's Bay.

damian24

I find the "busted" comments and videos very disingenuous - Water condensate harvesting is a thing, even Makro does this with their fridges and aircons. where do you think the water in the tray behind your fridge comes from, or does the ice just magically appear in your freezer?

It's a thing in Dubai... I have cooling system specs for a 20 floor hotel needing 150 m³ per day of water where the condensate recovery runs as high as 70m³ daily, which is not even remotely "busted" in a country (well city) that needs every drop possible.

It's expensive water, that's for sure, but if you can share that with cooling, it comes down in cost substantially.

D

Arthur

Honorary Master
@Moosedrool Thanks for posting the Thunderf00t debunking of Waterseer. I shared his vid some years ago with relatives who were taken in by this bullshit.

I was particularly gratified by his remarks on the corruption of science by wokery, where everything is ideologised.

gamer16

Honorary Master
:X3:
Chinese engineering will not get me water to my beach home at Morgan's Bay.

Of course it will, the Keiriver is right there, just need a Chinese knockoff Honda water pump and several kilometers of cheap Chinese pvc piping and you'll have plenty of water to not use.

Alternatively just buy a Bonoqua water at the garage and take it home in a GWM, same same.

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
Of course it will, the Keiriver is right there, just need a Chinese knockoff Honda water pump and several kilometers of cheap Chinese pvc piping and you'll have plenty of water to not use.

Alternatively just buy a Bonoqua water at the garage and take it home in a GWM, same same.
Listen my man, please do us a favour and get this Chinese engineer that can get a broke and corrupt municipality to do their job and supply me with water and do it last week already.
And while you're at it, pull the other one.
As for buying a bonaqua water at the garage... That's nearly R6 a litre plus

gamer16

Honorary Master
Listen my man, please do us a favour and get this Chinese engineer that can get a broke and corrupt municipality to do their job and supply me with water and do it last week already.
And while you're at it, pull the other one.
As for buying a bonaqua water at the garage... That's nearly R6 a litre plus
Who said anything about the local municipality? No no, either private or China, that's the only way it would get done.

Have a look at Veolia Water & Suez

Water Privatization

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
Who said anything about the local municipality? No no, either private or China, that's the only way it would get done.

Have a look at Veolia Water & Suez

Water Privatization
Oh yes, very cost effective. I'll send the bill.
It's as if you citi bois have never left home :unsure: :laugh:

Yes the Morgan's Bay dam was privately built and supplies the village with unpotable water.

It's a lot lower that that right now and is badly silted up. Dredging that is going to cost a bomb.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Oh yes, very cost effective. I'll send the bill.
It's as if you citi bois have never left home :unsure: :laugh:

Why don't you move to where there is water? Or do you like complaining about not having water just too much?

gregmcc

Honorary Master
This has been busted so many times. What are you going to write about next

Solar freaking roadways.

rvZA

Expert Member
Has this not been tried quite a few times in the Middle East and the US? I am also sure this topic has been the subject of a few movies many years ago. Not sure how viable this is, from a financial point of view.