Possible solution to water shortages - Make water from air

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Watch the thunderfoot video - its all explained there.
Its not economically viable. Its far cheaper to drive truck loads of water in which is produced by other methods.

Moosedrool

Executive Member

Captain Underpants

Why is this news???? Of all the bullshit I’m having my time wasted with. Why this?? We know this is garbage.

The_Hobbit

Honorary Master
If you're really that isolated you can use the amazing cheaper technology our ancestors discovered way back in history below:

View attachment 999986

And you should be using it. But it's not going to give you anything without rain.

The_Hobbit

Honorary Master
Watch the thunderfoot video - its all explained there.
Its not economically viable. Its far cheaper to drive truck loads of water in which is produced by other methods.
Except you haven't tried that, have you?
60c a litre and then you need to take 5kl and excludes delivery.

Last edited:

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
Something the advert does not address is the mineral content of the water. One of the reasons to not drink water produced by aircons or dehumidifiers is that it doesn't have enough minerals. With the filters in place it's practically distilled water. If this is all the water you drink, or you drink more of it, you're not replacing the minerals lost to regular metabolic processes, excretion or urination, and sweating. You'd have to add minerals back in to the water to make it generally drinkable, or make changes to your diet to replace them.

It's fine in emergency situations, but not good for long-term use. Legionnaire's disease also poses a problem with these systems.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Something the advert does not address is the mineral content of the water. One of the reasons to not drink water produced by aircons or dehumidifiers is that it doesn't have enough minerals. With the filters in place it's practically distilled water. If this is all the water you drink, or you drink more of it, you're not replacing the minerals lost to regular metabolic processes, excretion or urination, and sweating. You'd have to add minerals back in to the water to make it generally drinkable, or make changes to your diet to replace them.

It's fine in emergency situations, but not good for long-term use. Legionnaire's disease also poses a problem with these systems.

There are a myriad of issues with these systems from my research from about 7 or so years ago when I first saw a version just outside uShaka.

Cost being the biggest, but then the quality of the water itself also needs to be considered as you say. The water needs to be processed and minerals added to bring it back in line with what you should be drinking really.

In emergencies, they definitely serve a purpose. I still don't think they're a viable permanent alternative to a proper natural water supply if you have one available.

wingnut771

Honorary Master

Most of the minerals requirements come from the food you eat. Have a proper filtration with UV.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
Most of the minerals requirements come from the food you eat. Have a proper filtration with UV.
This is accurate, but isn't the complete picture. While you get a lot of the needed minerals that make up your RDA from foodstuffs, drinking water typically contains trace minerals that can't be found in food, as well as higher concentrations of minerals that are found in lower levels in food. Even if your foods lack these minerals due to the soil they're grown in, you can still get most of it from a good water source. Water is a better medium for delivery than most foods because it is absorbed into the blood stream easier and faster.

This is also why some dehydrated foods like Pronutro contain additional minerals not usually found in foods. Pronutro was originally meant to be a cheap meal replacement for developing countries where water was available, but not common foodstuffs.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
We shouldn't have shortages to begin with.

But since there's this inability to hold the ANC to account for it's failures, we have shortages in everything. Except money for the ANC to loot, off course.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
This is accurate, but isn't the complete picture. While you get a lot of the needed minerals that make up your RDA from foodstuffs, drinking water typically contains trace minerals that can't be found in food, as well as higher concentrations of minerals that are found in lower levels in food. Even if your foods lack these minerals due to the soil they're grown in, you can still get most of it from a good water source. Water is a better medium for delivery than most foods because it is absorbed into the blood stream easier and faster.

This is also why some dehydrated foods like Pronutro contain additional minerals not usually found in foods. Pronutro was originally meant to be a cheap meal replacement for developing countries where water was available, but not common foodstuffs.
What if you put himalayan pink or sea salt on everything? I even put it in my coffee. :ROFL:

damian24

Has this not been tried quite a few times in the Middle East and the US? I am also sure this topic has been the subject of a few movies many years ago. Not sure how viable this is, from a financial point of view.
Dubai made it law in 2012 for all buildings with a cooling capacity greater than 350kW to harvest condensate and reuse within the building.